PS3 Firmware 3.50

OK I'm sure this is the wrong thread but i figured I'll try....

Has anybody else's ps3 bricked while dl'n the update? I normally don't get off into this whole "teh updayte brix ma ps3 thing" but i have to ask.

the first time my ps3 bricked it was still under warranty so i really didn't put much thought into it but it was whatever update came out early summer of the year MGS4 came out. I update and after the update, poof flashing red light.....now same thing last night i dl the update, when system restarts bam flashing red light. the only reason im even thinking about this is because when i called SONY they say i can pay the 179+tax to get it fixed or they'll "upgrade" me to a 120GB slim for 129....i dont wanna upgrade because i have a 60GB backwards compatible, 4 usb, memory card readin' ps3 so in my mind its a downgrade but.......anyway what do you guys think?

very briefly yes....i press power light goes green then blue for maybe a second, i get a yellow for a split second then flashes red

Then it's just a coincidence that your PS3 decided to YLOD on you just at that time. My condolences! You should look around, I just had this happen a month ago and found someone with some experience and a heat-gun that fixed my launch PS3 for me for 40 euros. Unfortunately most of these guys also offer modding xboxes and Wii's, but that does mean there are plenty of them around and at least when you get them to fix your PS3 they do something legal. ;)

Then it's just a coincidence that your PS3 decided to YLOD on you just at that time. My condolences! You should look around, I just had this happen a month ago and found someone with some experience and a heat-gun that fixed my launch PS3 for me for 40 euros. Unfortunately most of these guys also offer modding xboxes and Wii's, but that does mean there are plenty of them around and at least when you get them to fix your PS3 they do something legal. ;)

I'll see what i can dig up thanks! I'm the US if anybody wants to refer someone feel free

* XMB NetFlix

I do not know if this is the same elsewhere or whether it is related to the latest OS update but as of today, XMB Netflix is available in Canada. You have to go to "What's New" and choose the Netflix icon which then downloads the app. Once installed the Netflix icon appears under the video menu.

Just watched a Joe Rogan video and overall things were nice and responsive. The selection is nowhere near as full as the US collection and the genre lists are not fully populated (no anime section!) but searching for titles in the system works fine. Also $8 a month in Canada is crazy affordable too.

There is definitely enough in there for me to justify $8 a month for the next few months minimum. Makes the PSN video section mostly pointless.

Cheers

Some impressions on the 3D part of this update :

CNET said:
CNET Hands-on with PS3's 3D Blu-ray update

We got a chance to test the 3D portion of the Sony PlayStation 3's latest firmware update, version 3.5, and the short story is that it works fine aside from one minor issue that may be a dealbreaker for audiophiles.
For our test we hooked up our PS3 Slim to a number of 3D TVs in our TV test lab, namely the LG 47LX9500, Panasonic TC-P50VT25, the Samsung UN55C8000, and Sony KDL-46NX810--representing all of the current flat-panel 3D TV makers. In each case the PS3 delivered what was, as far as we can tell by eye and the TVs' status indicators and menus, Full HD 3D, aka 1080p to each eye via the frame-packing format used by Blu-ray. Images appeared as sharp as we expected, without the softer look characteristic of half-resolution broadcast 3D, from DirecTV for example.

For compatibility testing we tried six of the currently available 3D Blu-ray discs: "Monsters vs. Aliens," "Coraline," "IMAX: Under the Sea," "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs," "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs," and "Monster House." All played without a hitch in 3D mode, as they have on standalone 3D players like the Samsung BD-C6900 and Panasonic DMP-BDT100. It's also worth noting that, as with all of our previous 3D testing, we used standard HDMI cables we had on-hand already; no new cables were required to pass 3D over HDMI.

Using a pop-up menu causes the PS3 to disable 3D.
A couple of oddities are worth noting. The PS3 makes extensive use of menu overlays for settings and status, and engaging them by pressing Triangle or Select during playback causes the image to revert to 2D, which can be a bit jarring. Removing the menu re-engages 3D mode. For what it's worth, other players we've tested can deliver overlays and maintain 3D mode.
Audiophiles may fume in rage that, according to Google's translation of Sony's Japanese press release (hat tip: AVS Forum), the PS3 is incapable of outputting high-resolution audio formats, namely Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-Master, when playing back 3D Blu-rays. We confirmed this issue using "Ice Age" and a Pioneer VSX-1020-K--while the Panasonic DMP-BDT100 lit up the Pioneer's "DTS-Master" indicator, the PS3 could only summon the standard "DTS" message in 3D. We don't consider this a big deal, however.
Aside from these minor issues, the upgrade making the Sony PS3 a 3D-compatible Blu-ray player (did we mention it's free?) provides a rare smooth sail in the otherwise rough seas of this year's 3D TV revival.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20017116-1.html

We don't consider this a big deal, however.[/url]

hahaha, what the hell, this is a big deal for anyone that wants hidef audio and 3D.

I find it incredible that one of the first Blu-Ray players is capable of playing 3D and as such i can accept there comes a point where it can´t keep up anymore.

I think that the old Beauty Queens PS3 (some call them Fat :)) may have a limitation on the HDMI part, not sure to be honest since the new PS3´s shouldn´t be limited.

So my hope is that it´s a pure software limitation since other stuff like the menu and PS3 overlay isn´t fixed yet.

I do not know if this is the same elsewhere or whether it is related to the latest OS update but as of today, XMB Netflix is available in Canada. You have to go to "What's New" and choose the Netflix icon which then downloads the app. Once installed the Netflix icon appears under the video menu.

Just watched a Joe Rogan video and overall things were nice and responsive. The selection is nowhere near as full as the US collection and the genre lists are not fully populated (no anime section!) but searching for titles in the system works fine. Also $8 a month in Canada is crazy affordable too.

There is definitely enough in there for me to justify $8 a month for the next few months minimum. Makes the PSN video section mostly pointless.

The PSN Video Store should have a different selection, and is for people who don't want a subscription. Some subscribe to NetFlix to exhaust the movie selection, and then switch to item rental. Others may prefer Hulu Plus depending on their viewing habits. The important thing is you have a choice. Sony will take care of themselves in these middleman deals anyway. You may also get Qriocity in the future.

hahaha, what the hell, this is a big deal for anyone that wants hidef audio and 3D.

I find it incredible that one of the first Blu-Ray players is capable of playing 3D and as such i can accept there comes a point where it can´t keep up anymore.

I think that's their take on it - hey, you're getting 3D in full res 1080p with a simple firmware upgrade on a player that started out as one of the first BluRay 1.0 players out there on the market.

I think that the old Beauty Queens PS3 (some call them Fat :)) may have a limitation on the HDMI part, not sure to be honest since the new PS3´s shouldn´t be limited.

While that is not impossible, my guess would be the BluRay drive being slightly different.

So my hope is that it´s a pure software limitation since other stuff like the menu and PS3 overlay isn´t fixed yet.

Who knows ... I'm not going to expect too much at this point though, but if there's a way, they'll probably go for it.

Yeah if it's possible they will do it. I'd say this is likely a quick and dirty patch just to get support out their they will refine later. Not sure if it will reach full compatibility depending on what's the limitation if it's something like blu-ray drive read speed there is not much they can do.

I don't think you've read the whole thread and are following the discussion. ;)
What I followed was a threadlet about playback devices changing the amount of depth in stereoscopic imagery after the fact, which I think is very hard to do. That seemed to be your initial position as well. I just took issue with the audio comparison. Widening stereo base and such things in audio is just adding/subtracting scaled averages and differences from the two channels. "Moving" sounds in that way will never have to uncover another sound that was "behind" it, whereas that's a real problem with images.
Vision has very coarse spectral resolution (needs only amounts of red, green and blue to satisfy the eye) but you have a whole lot of them related and arranged together. Stereo audio has much greater spectral resolution but is only one "dot" per channel. No movement "inside" a dot can possibly cause consistency issues on neighbour dots, because there are no neighbour dots.

I also don't think the 3DS's implementation of the depth slider can be physical at all. The physical divergence of the two images is a function of eye distance, not of scene depth. Scene depth will have to be handled by the rendering process. Which, again, is something you can't influence anymore when dealing with ready encoded 3D video.

What I followed was a threadlet about playback devices changing the amount of depth in stereoscopic imagery after the fact, which I think is very hard to do. That seemed to be your initial position as well. I just took issue with the audio comparison.
The audio comparison was only to describe why a 3D player (PS3) would mess around with the stereo fields, and nothing at all to do with the means and methods of such things, which as you say, is not straight forward! This was in response to suggestions PS3's 3D was too strong, to which my response was there should be no processing of the stereo whatsoever.

As it turns it, it sounds like the sane answer is the right one: There is no variation in the film's prerecorded depth; only a mess up with 3D overlays.

Yeah if it's possible they will do it. I'd say this is likely a quick and dirty patch just to get support out their they will refine later. Not sure if it will reach full compatibility depending on what's the limitation if it's something like blu-ray drive read speed there is not much they can do.

Nothing indicates it, it seems the info is read but ignored by older players:

The Blu-ray Disc Association created a task force made up of executives from the film industry and the consumer electronics and IT sectors to help define standards for putting 3D film and 3D television content on a Blu-ray Disc.[151] On Dec. 17, 2009 the BDA officially announced 3D specs for Blu-ray Disc, allowing backward compatibility with current 2D Blu-ray players.[152] "The Blu-ray 3D specification calls for encoding 3D video using the "Stereo High" profile defined by Multiview Video Coding (MVC), an extension to the ITU-T H.264 Advanced Video Coding (AVC) codec currently supported by all Blu-ray Disc players. MPEG4-MVC compresses both left and right eye views with a typical 50% overhead compared to equivalent 2D content, and can provide full 1080p resolution backward compatibility with current 2D Blu-ray Disc players."[153] This means the MVC (3D) stream is backward compatible with H.264/AVC (2D) stream, allowing older 2D devices and software to decode stereoscopic video streams, ignoring additional information for the second view.

Maybe it's a limit of the HDMI 1.3 output... :?:

If it's simple specs limit, they would have worked with the studios right away to workaround it. The issues may be somewhere else.

If it's simple specs limit, they would have worked with the studios right away to workaround it. The issues may be somewhere else.

Maybe that is exactly what happend, whatever the limit may have been it could be that Sony chose to nerf Audio in order to get 3D :)

Back