Awed by MGS4 OST ! Which is the best out there?

Hey Guys, Thanx to a friend who lives in the WW West, I got to hear the MGS4 OST in lossless quality, and I must say - I was Floored :p ! The music is simply superb and the Old Snake theme and Love theme gave me goosebumps !

This has kindled my desire to listen to more Game OSTs which have such amazing quality. Which are the best OSTs for games out there, so that I can grab them all while I can, as my friend here is OK with buying them from there n sending them to me (as none are available in India and I don't want to dw torrents as I am hooked to lossless Itunes rips these days :D, and, of course, they are illegal ! )

Also, does anyone know what the woman is singing in the "Love theme" in MGS4 OST. Any translation?

The only song I remember from MGS4 is the snow scene in the abandoned base. What is it called ? Something like "The Best is Yet to Come" ?

Apart from other MGS games (including peace walker) & Blizzard games, here are some names (along with the composers):

- FFX & FFXIII (Nobuo Uematsu / Masashi Hamauzu)
- All Halo games (Martin O'Donnell)
- COD4/MW2 (Hans Zimmer)
- Crysis/ Warhead (Inon Zur)
- Assassin's Creed 2,Unreal Tournament 3, Most of the games made by IO interactive (Jesper Kyd)
Ninja Gaiden 1 & NG2 (Makoto Hosoi)

Anyways if you haven't heard these then you better do so now:

Apart from other MGS games (including peace walker) & Blizzard games, here are some names (along with the composers):

- COD4/MW2 (Hans Zimmer)
- Assassin's Creed 2,Unreal Tournament 3, Most of the games made by IO interactive (Jesper Kyd)

Anyways if you haven't heard these then you better do so now:

Hey, thanx for the list :smile:. I already asked him for FF XIII, I just guessed it must be good ;) ! Hmmm, so FF X is good too? Lemmee chk these out, a few a day, lets see what clicks most.

If I say , you have to pick one, which one would it be? Though, I can understand it can be very difficult to pick one in music.

What about the music of KIller 7. Someone told me it was great, but I never played the game or heard it.

EDIT: I think Uncharted 2 music is great too, at least it seems really good in-game.

Yea Uncharted 2 has a great soundtrack....it has a very grand scale.

If I had to pick one from that list then it'd be FFXIII.
Overall...its MGS4.

Shadow Of the Colossus had an amazing soundtrack, I was blown away by it. And this was al during gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys, Thanx to a friend who lives in the WW West, I got to hear the MGS4 OST in lossless quality, and I must say - I was Floored :p ! The music is simply superb and the Old Snake theme and Love theme gave me goosebumps !

This has kindled my desire to listen to more Game OSTs which have such amazing quality. Which are the best OSTs for games out there, so that I can grab them all while I can, as my friend here is OK with buying them from there n sending them to me (as none are available in India and I don't want to dw torrents as I am hooked to lossless Itunes rips these days :D, and, of course, they are illegal ! )

Also, does anyone know what the woman is singing in the "Love theme" in MGS4 OST. Any translation?

The best soundtrack without a doubt is HALO and HALO 2 (I did not hear Reach yet) - I have both CDs and I often listen to them!!

Heavy Rain has a rather good soundtrack to.

If you don't care for non-gaming specific soundtrack: Burnout Revenge has the best compilation for a racing game ever - super groups with superb tracks;)

The best soundtrack without a doubt is HALO and HALO 2 (I did not hear Reach yet) - I have both CDs and I often listen to them!!

Heavy Rain has a rather good soundtrack to.

If you don't care for non-gaming specific soundtrack: Burnout Revenge has the best compilation for a racing game ever - super groups with superb tracks

I don't know about HALO, I have played the HALO:CE on my PC back in the day, but the music seemed very contrived to me, but I know people loved it and still love it. I haven't heard it seperately, so can't comment. Will chk it out.

As for HR, yes, why didn't I think of that. I haven't played it yet, but yes, a strong emotional story seems a very good inspiration for good music. Where can I sample some?

Burnout:Revenge - Love the game, but right now looking for instrumentals ;) !

Akira Yamoaka's music is timeless, blissful, soothing and eternal. Silent Hill music has been the best music in games I have heard ever. I haven't heard the music of the Final Fantasy series, which people seem to love a lot, but Akira's music for me is right there on the top of my list :) ! I remember I once mailed the song "True" to one of my friends from College days and he got so overwhelmed listening to the music that he got tears in his eyes ;) ! His music is very moving, touches you in the deepest corners of your heart. He somehow knows how people feel, emote and what they yearn for ! He is the reason for my love for Silent Hills :smile: ! I was mesmerised when "Room of Angel" started playing in SH4 when she died. That song is absolutely magical ! I remember passing it on to different people when I worked in a studio(UTV) and regardless of their background and choices regarding music, each and every person was awed by the song. They felt amazed :p !

Pleased to find that you are a fan too :) !

As for HR, yes, why didn't I think of that. I haven't played it yet, but yes, a strong emotional story seems a very good inspiration for good music. Where can I sample some?

Oh you have to check HR out - i liked it a lot although I was extremely sceptical about the controlls. But my buddy highly recommended it to me and so I tried it and got hooked!

Here is a sample of the OST:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGzwir0Yezk&feature=related
:cry:

- COD4/MW2 (Hans Zimmer)

Minor nitpick, COD4's score was done by Harry Gregson-Williams. Anything by Jesper Kyd is usually good stuffl, been so since the Amiga days.

I will add another one: Killzone 2 by Joris de Man. Excellent score IMHO.

Akira Yamoaka's music is timeless, blissful, soothing and eternal. Silent Hill music has been the best music in games I have heard ever. I haven't heard the music of the Final Fantasy series, which people seem to love a lot, but Akira's music for me is right there on the top of my list :) ! I remember I once mailed the song "True" to one of my friends from College days and he got so overwhelmed listening to the music that he got tears in his eyes ;) ! His music is very moving, touches you in the deepest corners of your heart. He somehow knows how people feel, emote and what they yearn for ! He is the reason for my love for Silent Hills :smile: ! I was mesmerised when "Room of Angel" started playing in SH4 when she died. That song is absolutely magical ! I remember passing it on to different people when I worked in a studio(UTV) and regardless of their background and choices regarding music, each and every person was awed by the song. They felt amazed :p !

Pleased to find that you are a fan too :) !

His music is unlike anything, such a unique blend of sounds, conveying a wide array of often conflicting emotions. It's perfect for the Silent Hill games.

He is now working on that Shadows of the Damned game that was announced at TGS. I'm not sure what to expect of it though. The game seems to have a horror element, but also over the top action.

Sampled som of the stuff you guys asked me to and I think Assassins Creed 2 and Uncharted 2 OSTs are the ones that can hold a candle to the mighty MGS4 OST ! will definitely be getting these two ! :)

Best is certainly subjective, but my personal must haves are:

- Resident Evil 1-3, the GC remake and Zero.
- Silent Hill, all games so far. SH2 is a noteworthy one however.
- Devil May Cry 1 (incidentally written by the RE PS1 trilogy composer, Masami Ueda.. great stuff).
- Tekken series, with the exception of T4.
- Onimusha 1&2. The first was fully orchestrated and the 2nd was mostly written by Taro Iwashiro (Red Hill and numerous other Asian movies).
- Metal Gear Solid 1. The simplest, yet most effective and memorable IMO.
- Shenmue 1&2.

I will note that Tekken 1, 2 & 5 aside, the rest have had Japanese techno OST's. One of my personal favorites, the arcade TTT music, never made it to console since Namco opted to use a CD for the PS2 version. Here's a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LvyUU93hDU

The music tore through arcades back in the late 90's.

Other favorites from T5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-6e-mjsqxs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4XCmhdnEJM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A8csxLs4Vg&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
Most already mentioned but Monkey Island series have fun tracks.

If you like Final Fantasy musics, you might want to get Distant Worlds which is awesome.

I like a few from Boyonetta too. Another would be Icewindale.

Back