Season 2 of Tester looks fake....

draconian

Newcomer
Maybe season 1 was also, but look at these people, these people don't look genuine. More like the next aspiring reality TV star/actress/actor?

I'm not about to invest over 2 minutes of my valuable time blindly without knowing what the hell this is about.

Eastmen:
Thanks for the clarification. I actually read something about this when the original season was coming up I suppose, but then forgot all about it since it seemed totally uninteresting to me.

Scott:
US "reality" shows are scripted? :LOL: Whoah.

As a Sony fan, "The Tester" is one of the strongest evidences I have that my appreciation is deeply, deeply misplaced.

Eastmen:
Thanks for the clarification. I actually read something about this when the original season was coming up I suppose, but then forgot all about it since it seemed totally uninteresting to me.

Scott:
US "reality" shows are scripted? :LOL: Whoah.

Have you ever seen Curb your Enthusiasm ? Its by Larry David who created Seinfield or co created. Anyway basicly they have a limited plot line or a situation and the actors know about and play off of. Otherwise nothing else is scripted. Think of Reality TV like that.

The Real world has 7 people. 1 or 2 are normaly placed in with the goal of creating tension. They are either right out told to cause problems or they are prone to causing problems and then the rest of the cast is designed to bring out those problems. Other Reality shows like Cake boss (I know the fools on the show) will create fake drama. One time they had the guy burning zepolli and made a big deal out of it. They purposily had them do that so they would have drama in that eps.

I'm sure the reality tv y you is teh same.

I don't think anyone here is the slightest bit interested in this silly job application rubbish.

As a Sony fan, "The Tester" is one of the strongest evidences I have that my appreciation is deeply, deeply misplaced.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/content...ds/gaming/e3i1c1499752deb3a60b3aeb9bb52d78884

Sony has enjoyed a 60 percent spike in ad revenue this year for the Sony PlayStation Network, its fast growing entertainment service aimed at PlayStation gamers, said officials—driven in part by the success of original series such as this year’s hit show The Tester.

the show, which debuted last January and proved popular, generating 2.5 million downloads. Thus Sony’s new two-person ad sales team has lined up Ford, Electronic Arts and The U.S. Air Force as sponsors. Besides traditional ad placements, sponsors will receive branded entertainment treatment; for example, one episode will take place at an Air Force Base.

[Raise torch]
Which one of you downloaded the videos by mistake ? :LOL:
[size=-2]I know it's not me ![/size]

Fortunately…

Yet despite the momentum behind The Tester, Panico said that Sony is not looking to schedule dozens of new series. Besides The Tester and Qore, PlayStation Network features the gaming-news-centric show The Pulse. More projects are in the works, but Sony is deliberately moving slowly. Panico cited HBO’s few-new-series-at-a-time philosophy as a model.

“There are more things coming, but you won’t see a huge rollout,” she said. “We have a small [programming] team so we want to really hone in on franchises. It makes perfect sense for us to create content that keeps people coming back.”

And while PlayStation Network series do run on sister Sony site Crackle.com, Panico said there is no truth to rumors that Crackle might become the default content hub for the PlayStation. “I haven’t heard that one,” she said.

One problem with PSN is just how much of the content is advertising. Pay money for avatars to advertise someone's game? Gee, thanks. That's exactly what I wanted.

Isn't that the basis of all brand-name purchases? Tell me when Nike will start paying me to wear their logo and then I'll maybe agree with you! :p

Joystiq interviews Susan Panico, PSN director:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/01/psn-director-interview/

"We look at original programming and The Tester as the foundation for building out something much bigger."

While Panico has nothing to announce in terms of upcoming or planned original programming, she does tell us that her division has had ongoing discussions with other arms of the Sony media empire. "We also have other creative discussions with our other sister Sony companies, whether it be Sony Pictures or Sony Pictures Television, on exciting ideas that may be more appropriate for our big-screen audience versus the traditional broadcast audience." Of course, Panico knows that internal productions can't drive PSN media consumption alone, and it appears the company has been actively courting third parties, as well.

"While we can take advantage of the huge production pipeline that Sony has, we're talking to a lot of other production companies that may have content they want to get in front of a captivated, very engaged, male demographic that's highly concentrated in the 18–35 demographic," Panico confirmed of PSN's target audience. "I think people are seeing a lot of opportunity there compared to just throwing stuff out on the web and getting it lost."

The first season of The Tester generated 2.5 million downloads over 8 episodes, which Panico suggests is "on par" with comparable shows on cable television. "If you look at Nielsen ratings for some cable shows on say, G4, where they might garner a 3-percent Nielsen rating -- we're right there on par with some of those shows." Thanks to a new social media campaign, and increased awareness of the format, Panico believes that the second season of the show will do even better, with the group aiming for 3.5 million downloads -- a 40 percent increase.

Perhaps that's why DirectTV wants to drop G4 (If an experimental PSN program can reach similar audience):
http://news-briefs.ew.com/2010/11/01/directv-drops-g4/

a DirecTV rep said in an e-mail. “We are constantly evaluating our lineup in a new world where programming costs continue to rise at significant rates. Since G4 is among the lowest rated networks based on the latest Nielsen data, we decided that it made sense to focus on preserving programming that is more relevant to our larger customer base.”

... and bored gamers ! I used to run a site, and people would come in and ask me what else they could do to pass time. >_<

Joystiq interviews Susan Panico, PSN director:
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/01/psn-director-interview/

Perhaps that's why DirectTV wants to drop G4 (If an experimental PSN program can reach similar audience):
http://news-briefs.ew.com/2010/11/01/directv-drops-g4/

G4 is pure garbage . here is the deal. Back in the early 2000s there was tech tv and it was actually educational. They had Leo who is now part of twit.tv i beleive. He was really good and the show was help ful. Call for help was a show where people would call in with computer problems and the hosts would try and help them. Screen savers was a show that featured new products that was smartly done and they had a ton of original programing not just for gamers but anyone interested in tech.

Then comcast bought tech tv and merged it with thier channel and named it g4. At first they took the best of these two channels and it was great in like 2004 when all this great programing was on. Sure the comcast channel had more of a gaming slant but the content was balanced. Well someone decided that the gamer audiance was what they should be targeting and they first retired all the tech tv content except screen savers and extended play. Then they made screen savers atos and extended play x play. The problem was that these people thought gamers were 12 year old boys and they targeted these programs for that . These shows have a few second attention span before they go to another inane comedy bit. So all the adult gamers and tech fans went to the internet. Ratings were poor and budgets were cut and they started putting on cops all day long. I think the channel has about 2-3 hours of new gaming content a week now.

Seriously. Look at screen savers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waRkcLG2yRI

and here is what it became http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cKKA2PAYF8
or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kPT7vME6qs&feature=related

Back