Apparantly the PSP2 exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't have just SPEs though, and a 1:4 Cell will have the PPU, memory, yadayada. SPURSEngine is supposedly 10-20 watts at 1.5GHz at 45nm. Just for the processor, where handhelds are wanting single digit wattages to last a few a hours.

The 15w was for a SPURS @ 65nm, and it has a lot more in the package than just 4 SPEs. I asked the question earlier in the thread, but nobody seemed to want to even give a hypothetical answer. If SPURS can give 48GFLOP @ 1.5Ghz, what would it give at 500Mhz or lower and 32nm or less, and what would the power consumption be? Obviously, it's not going to be SPURs, but it could be something similar. Host controller could be an ARM instead of a PPU.

One reserved SPU could. The requirement is only on the fly video compression. The game content would need to be downsampled to PSP resolution, compressed which is easy work for a SPE at 400x272 or whatever PSP screen is, and then broadcast. That's a PS3 firmware issue though, not a handheld capability. If PS3 can do that to PSP2, it can do it to PSP and PC and iPhone etc. with the right protocols in place.

What about overhead for every frame and every input across the net ? The SPU has to handle everything in a timely fashion, plus doing the work above.
[EDIT: Yeah, if PS3 can do that, I think it would be one of the first targets for hacks/homebrew. I'd love to do RemotePlay on an iPad]

Afaik, that is based on the current rumours. It is not new info that has been leaked. Nothing has leaked since the Nikkei OLED + 3G reveal.

You are a Sony partner. Have you seen it yet ? Or at least know the specs… Is the "computing power" rumor true in the pure technical sense ?

You are a Sony partner. Have you seen it yet ? Or at least know the specs… Is the "computing power" rumor true in the pure technical sense ?

I have seen it, but I can't really talk about it until after the event. Once that is done I can go into a bit more detail than Sony have lined up. :)

Bah… I tried to type a few indirect questions to infer the power and features of PSP2, but couldn't at the moment. I'll just wait for the moment. It's not that important anyway. Only question I have is:

Are computing power, OLED, and 3G the only draws for PSP2 ?

Bah… I tried to type a few indirect questions to infer the power and features of PSP2, but couldn't at the moment. I'll just wait for the moment. It's not that important anyway. Only question I have is:

Are computing power, OLED, and 3G the only draws for PSP2 ?

Find out on Thursday. ;)

I leave for Japan tomorrow morning, so PM me your q's and I can get back to you when I'm in Tokyo...

Your post just reminded me I don't know any bad Japanese word other than bakayaro. :LOL:

Aiight, I'll think of something when I hear more rumblings.

Just because TSMC and their partners seem incapable of providing anything but the most optimistic timetable for fab process transition doesn't mean that reality isn't going to set in as always. 28nm, 22nm, etc are still quite a ways off from production into end user devices.

543MP8 @ 400MHz + A9 quad @ 1.2GHz with the right memory system is more capable than some are giving it credit for.

am I wrong for wanting this to be 720P ? so the movies don't have to be SD upscaled & the PSN like games can be 720P games I know it's overkill but why get so close to 720P which is a standard for some games & movies then settle for less?

Well why spend processing power on something that isn't really usefull? There are plenty of ps3 games that don't render at 720p but you don't hear anybody about that. Really, as long as things get scaled properly if there is a hdmi connector it doesn't matter I think. As for movies, they can still release 720p movies on the psp2. Although I really wonder if you can really see any difference between sd and 720p content on a ~4.5'' screen.

am I wrong for wanting this to be 720P ? so the movies don't have to be SD upscaled & the PSN like games can be 720P games I know it's overkill but why get so close to 720P which is a standard for some games & movies then settle for less?

I think it may also depend on whether PSP2 games can run on other devices.

Wow that is super nice if true. 5" screen is the best part, simply amazing.

The only downfall is 512MB RAM. They should have used 1GB. 512 MB is pretty pedestrian for such a high end aimed machine, and 1GB would have given it an edge over consoles in one key spec (perhaps making up for shortfalls in others), as well as being inexpensive these days. A few phones are already moving to 1GB and 512 MB feels like a passing cell phone standard not cutting edge.

I wonder if they were aiming for PS360 console ports with 512MB, and figured 1GB as superfluous to their aims. I dont care what the reasoning was though I dont approve.

960x544 gives it 5/9 the res of PS360, which will help it out, though as we know, a game like Alan Wake is there already.

But, 5" screen :drool. I'm a total screen size whore when it comes to cellphones, I lust after the announced 4.5" Samsung Infuse lol.

Shoot 5" screen will make it a decent tablet-lite in it's off times, or at least capable of being one (if Sony doesnt put a horrible browser on :( )! Of course all this if these specs are true.

Last edited by a moderator:

They will be rendering around half the pixels. I see that as key to getting to PS360 graphics if they are going to. 960X544 is better than most current phones as well. Beats the current typical Android spec and just slightly short of the retina display which I consider overkill anyway.

Regarding the OLED display I found this interview on Sony engineer about possibly printable OLEDs (if i'm reading it right) using a new material they have developed. It was stated as well that their target is PSP-size display.

http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news/vol62/sideview3.html

http://www.sonyinsider.com/2011/01/02/sonys-end-target-for-oled-the-rollable-large-screen-tv/

and here is the pdf from the developers
http://www.sony.net/Products/SC-HP/cx_news/vol62/pdf/sideview62.pdf

I believe it was first prototyped May 2010 showing a rollable OLED display (i'm not saying psp2 should be rollable). Could Sony have it ready for mass-production? Or probably the said OLED PSP2 display comes from Samsung, which is a pentile configuration as opposed to Sony's which is OTFT-driven.

960x544 gives it 5/9 the res of PS360, which will help it out, though as we know, a game like Alan Wake is there already.

Closer to 1/4 the res. :) You can almost, but not quite, fit 4 of those into a 1920x1080 res. Granted hardly any games run natively at that res.

So for something like COD, that's almost 1/1 the res. :)

Regards,
SB

Wow that is super nice if true. 5" screen is the best part, simply amazing.

The only downfall is 512MB RAM. They should have used 1GB. 512 MB is pretty pedestrian for such a high end aimed machine, and 1GB would have given it an edge over consoles in one key spec (perhaps making up for shortfalls in others), as well as being inexpensive these days. A few phones are already moving to 1GB and 512 MB feels like a passing cell phone standard not cutting edge.

I wonder if they were aiming for PS360 console ports with 512MB, and figured 1GB as superfluous to their aims. I dont care what the reasoning was though I dont approve.

But, 5" screen :drool. I'm a total screen size whore when it comes to cellphones, I lust after the announced 4.5" Samsung Infuse lol.

Shoot 5" screen will make it a decent tablet-lite in it's off times, or at least capable of being one (if Sony doesnt put a horrible browser on :( )! Of course all this if these specs are true.
Dude 512MB is overkill considering whats inside the PS3 and the 360. Above that on top of the other features it would only increase its price and make it harder to end in the consumer's hands

Why not 960x540 but 960x544? 960x540 is perfect 1/4 full HD. Maybe they have a 4 pixel strip for status indicators.

960x544 is exactly 4 times PSP's original size (480x272).

It would maintain the aspect ratio. I think the extra 4 pixels are round off error when scaling the same aspect ratio. PSP2 should be 1/4 the size of 1080p for all intent and purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back