Apparantly the PSP2 exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The key draw is the business model. iPod/iPhone apps and games are cheaper. iPod also benefits from the music/iTunes consumers. I think the survey needs to show how many iPod Touch consumers buy games, and what's the total gaming revenue on it. On top of that, how well does Apple (want to) understand and serve gaming customers in the long run.

If we are talking about Tetris, then we are talking about commodity games. If we are talking about Pokemon, then it's a different crowd altogether. In fact, that online survey at the end of the article may not tell the right picture. The DS crowd may not read ArsTechnica. The ones who took the survey are matured tech savvy folks, not cute little kids. I mean these kids prefer to play Pokemon than shower, eat, sleep or do homework.

Portable consoles need to innovate. It doesn't mean portable consoles are dead. I have seen Pachter's predictions. There are many misses. I have not seen 3DS and PSP2 personally to comment in-depth, just have a lot of questions. ^_^

EDIT: I am not sure about straight PS3 ports on PSP2 though. I don't personally need the feature. If it's the other way round (e.g., Run Valkyria Chronicles 3, Peace Walker and may be Monster Hunter 3 on PS3), I would be very very keen.

The PSP2 needs to be a better device in general when it comes to its multimedia functions, and it's game selection (well more diverse).

Sony can rework the pricing and terms of what Minis are to create a better demand for those iTunes-like games, and still provide those bigger console-like games.
-----------------------

While some of the points are a bit harsh, there's some valid things pointed out here about the PSP's user-experience for being a portable device: http://www.destructoid.com/the-psp2-what-we-want-189119.phtml

Last edited by a moderator:
More PSP Phone news:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/sonys-playstation-phone-gets-in-depth-preview-in-china-playsta/

It's now confirmed that said Xperia-branded device is powered by a Qualcomm Adreno 205 GPU, along with what's likely to be a 1GHz Snapdragon QSD8255 as featured on the HTC Desire HD. Interestingly, Neocore is reporting an impressive 59.1fps benchmark, which is a huge improvement from our exclusive look back in early December. Quadrant also reports a high score of 1,733, but hey, there's no saying that this is the final build, so the graphics performance may get even better.

Other tidbits found in the latest leak include the generous battery capacity of 1,500mAh, the 854 x 480 resolution on a 4-inch LCD, a 5 megapixel autofocus camera with LED flash sans 720p video recording (although it's probably just that the leaksters didn't look in all the submenu in the camera app), 512MB RAM, 512MB ROM, a microSD slot, SIM slot, micro-USB, and a second mic on the back for active noise cancellation à la Nexus One. Interestingly, the still-empty game launcher app is now called "PlayStation Pocket." We're still unclear just what the app will run; ...

After seeing Sony presenting products with 3D screens like the 3DS at CES, I am looking forward to the possibility of seeing a 3D screen on the PSP2.

If it's got that as well as a touch screen it might be a strong competitor to the 3DS. Assuming of course that it is also not overly expensive

Thanks, I'm not sure how to work out wattage from battery power and play time though. Anyone know the actually wattage of the original PSP?

There was some talk about that [not sure if it was for PSP or Iphone 3gs]. I think someone mentioned that 3GS had 1W of total power consumption. One of those threads that covered rumors of PSP2 quadcore powervr GPU.

If it's got that as well as a touch screen it might be a strong competitor to the 3DS. Assuming of course that it is also not overly expensive
Haven't Sony said they're not pursuing 3D in PSP2? I think it was said earlier in this thread.

We all know how well these kind of "inside source" processing power comparisons usually work out.
The ludicrous one's like PSP2 being a portable PS3 are clearly nonsense, but this suggestion sounds about right. 3DS isn't a monster under the hood, and if Sony really want to take the crown for portable power, they could fit in enough hardware to make a mighty device, but at some serious compromises elsewhere in the overall package.

After seeing Sony presenting products with 3D screens like the 3DS at CES, I am looking forward to the possibility of seeing a 3D screen on the PSP2.

I don't think that is going to happen. Remember how Sony went nuts when nintendo announced the 3ds and tried telling everybody that 3d without glasses wasn't going to be any good? Seems a rather strange response if your next product is going to offer exactly that.

Also if we have to believe nintendo 3d and touchscreen's don't play nice together so unless they are lying, and I wouldn't see why, it seems psp2 will either be 3d with no touchscreen or no 3d with a touchscreen. My money is on the latter unless sony did a 180 a bodged a 3d screen on the psp2.

Also if we have to believe nintendo 3d and touchscreen's don't play nice together so unless they are lying, and I wouldn't see why, it seems psp2 will either be 3d with no touchscreen or no 3d with a touchscreen. My money is on the latter unless sony did a 180 a bodged a 3d screen on the psp2.
It has the touch pad on the back so adding 3D wouldn't be an issue in that case.

I think those new glassesless 3d celphone that came out in japan all have touch screen function and they works fine.

add:http://www.diginfo.tv/2010/11/15/10-0232-f-en.php

Well that just says it has a 3d screen (not the first one btw, they already had 3d screen phones in 2009 I believe. Sharp made one), not that it works perfectly hehe. Nintendo's comment was that finger smudges have a not so nice effect on the 3d display. Maybe the effect is disturbed less outside of gaming?

The ludicrous one's like PSP2 being a portable PS3 are clearly nonsense, but this suggestion sounds about right. 3DS isn't a monster under the hood, and if Sony really want to take the crown for portable power, they could fit in enough hardware to make a mighty device, but at some serious compromises elsewhere in the overall package.

PSP2 basically being a portable PS3 is part of this suggestion all from the same source according to the article. Like you say its nonesense, which is one reason why I don't trust their judgement.

As far as comparing 3DS and PSP2 goes, I don't doubt that they can take the graphics crown if they decide too. I just doubt that they can produce a device that is to 3DS what PSP was to DS.

I'm asking this because I genuinely don't have the foggiest idea.

If you took Cell and placed it on say a 32nm process, then clocked it down to 1Ghz, what would the FLOPS and power consumption be? Now do the same by removing 4 SPUs, what would we have then? What was the power consumption for the SPURS engine, 15W at 1.5GHz on a 65nm process?

EDIT: Also, what would be the FLOPS performance differential between a 4 SPE Cell running at 1Ghz and an 8 SPE Cell running at 500Mhz, and how does this compare to an ARM derived device?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back