Apparantly the PSP2 exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, at a fundamental level the bluray drive and its firmware is able to detect wether the disk is an original pressed disk or not. There is no way to make a replica of an original disk that will be read as if it were genuine, this difference between original and copy (and being able to detect it) is part of the bluray protection scheme. The dumps that have been available have been useless precisely because of this protection.

The distinction between this and what was traditionally the case with flash is that replicas can be made of flash carts that are seen as by the device as genuine.

How on earth do you come to the conclusion that the DS can only be hacked by microSD? it was used for convenience, there is no need for a replica to use removeable flash storage at all. If DS used microSD sized cards then the replicas would just be reflashable versions of these, the only thing you get from going to smaller size is less potential storage so instead of storring 100 games on a card you store 10, which would then grow again when reduction in transistor sizes allow more storage for a given amount of space.

Its possible flash could be made more secure with an additional security chip, at increased cost. Im not saying that flash is out of the window, just that at the moment it is too easily replicated and work needs to be done to make it as secure againsts unauthorized replication as other media.

but your arguement works against you because the ds's carts have never been replicated either. They have to use additional hardware to trick the ds into reading a micro sd. Just like on the ps3 your using software to trick the ps3 into playing games on your hardrive and your tricking the ps3 into ripping back ups of bluray discs to the game.

I really see nothing diffrent in the way these things are aproached and I see optical media as being no safer than flash.

As for the ds , i'm talking about what fits within the standard cart size without additional hardware. i'm sure someone can make a ds cart that goes into the ds and attaches to a hardrive that has the roms on it. But its not practical from a portability side.

The fact of the matter is that optical did not make the psp un hackable infact it fell faster than the ds.

The point is that the DS sees the media as original without any modification to the system itself. No backdoor is needed, no loopholes uncovered. Like i said the flash carts are akin to being able to burn discs that are seen exactly the same as the original. Can you honestly say that there is no difference between a PS3 that can read buned disks without any modification and one that cant? The one that cant is obviously more secure, there is little to dispute that.

You may not see a difference, but you would be wrong. There is a difference between media that can be made to appear as an original and media that cannot, this is fact.

The fact a machine is hacked regardless of the media format doesnt make a secure media format any less important. Do you suggest everything is left unsecure just because the system will be hacked somehow anyway? its about mitigating risk from many different angles. PS3s security system did not make it unhackable, but do we now say that having any form of security in place is a waste of time? Your logic falls flat at every turn.

Last edited by a moderator:
No its not. You can't copy a DS cart, you need a flash card, which has all the additional hardware and software on it to trick the DS intro accepting the flash card so it's nowhere near being the same as just burning a disk.

No its not. You can't copy a DS cart, you need a flash card, which has all the additional hardware and software on it to trick the DS intro accepting the flash card so it's nowhere near being the same as just burning a disk.

Once you've done it though it's much easier to feed it new games. I do think that if the PSP had UMD only and no support for flash storage, it would have been pretty tough to hack. You can't burn UMD discs, and you'd basically have to solder in some kind of flash storage and make the PSP think that was the UMD drive instead, or something like it.

I haven't been keeping track - has the PSP Go been hacked?

Unlike spinning disks, cards can be made into adapters where you can plug smaller cards into them, and that's how the DS is hacked. It's actual physical security to use a spinning disc :)

I think the only viable way to prevent piracy is to sell an online activation/deactivation code with every game you sell...then the cards could be replicated as much as you want...You can use free 3G like in the kindle to ensure everyone can get online to activate/deactivate their games. You cannot have free lifetime 3G in a DD only device that downloads gigabytes, but just for activation, very little data is used and it's possible.

What it is doing is emulating an original cart. This is possible with flash as we have seen. It is not possible to emulate an original with optical media without a disk pressing facility. Thus we have a media format that can be emulated to look exactly the same as an original to the host device, and one that cannot without hugely expensive equipment.

weren't there rumors that the psp2 would have a touch screen on the reverse side? Here how something like that might work

It seems like one of those things that would be incredibly frustrating to use until you adjusted to it but really nice once you got used to it as you would not have the issue of whatever you are using on the touchscreen getting in the way of your view.

Sounds like the perfect hack, no illegal coppies but homebrew..

Its by far not perfect. A lot of homebrew cant run in user mode.

For some reason beyond my understanding, some syscalls have to be emulated. Meaning some homebrew that uses Sony's API doesnt work. The SegaCD emulator didnt have sound up until recently, and others run slower.

I'd also like to use the games I own on my Go. Till then it's a glorified demo machine.

I cant imagine a control scheme that has you shifting your grip in the part where you're supporting the most weight, being very stable.

It's not that hard to imagine pick up a book and move a finger along the back of it. It's really simpler and more intuitive then I'd thought it be. My only worry is if the go for the full reverse touch screen idea is how to know where your finger is without interacting with the screen first and range of motion since you can't exactly run the same finger along the entire back of it without switching grips.

Yeah, you're generally supporting the weight with your palms and your fingers are pretty free to touch a wide area comfortably. I also think most people have a better sense of where they're pressing blindly than they might realize, though Sony could also have some method of sensing and displaying where your fingers are. A cursor or phantom finger outline or something.

A cursor or phantom finger outline or something.

Yeah, that's typically what would be used (looking at other implementations and proofs of concept for this tech). I think it could work, though I'm interested in seeing whether or not they'll end up doing both back and front, as that could be even better. I can see that just doing the back though could allow for an amazing screen while keeping costs really low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back