Inception: Hanz Zimmer > *

Albuquerque

Red-headed step child
Veteran
Seriously kick-ass movie with a seriously kick-ass soundtrack. I've been wanting to see it for the fourth time in bigscreen, but I will make myself wait until it comes out on BR. Until then, I bought the audio CD to tide me over. And since that isn't instant gratification enough, I've been listening to the entire soundtrack (in shoddy quality) via YouTube.

I have so much of Zimmer's work in my collection that it's becoming absurd -- but I can't stop! This amount of ass kickery could only come from a scant few places on earth, Germany is certainly on the short list :D

I remember when Hans Zimmer got robbed from the best soundtrack Oscar for Gladiator; this was such a huge mistake (instead it went to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon). For me the Gladiator soundtrack is his best work yet.

Zimmer is one of a few movie soundtrack composers who can deliver some seriously bombastic and epic scores. I agree his music pretty much always totally kicks ass.

A few others are Klaus Badelt (who wrote the original Pirates of the Caribbean score, and that of The Time Machine, both of which kicks ass too and might I add - he's also German... :LOL:), James Newton Howard, Basil Pouledoris (Conan the Barbarian, Robocop, Starship Troopers, bunches more) and the uncrowned master of thematic, "big" movie music, Jerry Goldsmith (may he rest in peace).

John Williams is also a legend of course, and his music can be appropriately legendary too of course (he manages to perform even in shitty movies like SW:EP1, Duel of the Fates is amazing), but his music can also be sappy and too sweet at times. He doesn't quite have that same bombastic streak as Zimmer...

Of course, there's Ennio Morricone... Untouched as a composer (and, I suppose, director), but in a different league again compared to Zimmer. He's more sophisticated, I feel. He doesn't compose for maximum gut response, but speaks to higher parts of the brain. :)

I like much of the music written for movies. Especially the old Tangerine Dream stuff. Zimmer is obviously also a great talent.

*sigh* Yeah, when it comes to great bombast, Zimmer never fails to deliver, and the Inception sountrack is no exception.
The beef I have with him is that he often seems to get carried away, going on with it just that bit too long.

Going towards the end I almost expected some kind of dialog like this in the slower scenes:
"If we want to rescue him, we have to go d"*PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM*
"What?"
"I said, we have t"*PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM*
"I couldn't hear you over that noise!"
"I"*PUUUUUUUUUUUUUM*
"F*ck it, I'm outta here..."

Snyder, that's not Zimmer though, he doesn't edit the stuff for the final movie, he just writes it.

A few others are Klaus Badelt (who wrote the original Pirates of the Caribbean score, and that of The Time Machine, both of which kicks ass too and might I add - he's also German... :LOL:), James Newton Howard, Basil Pouledoris (Conan the Barbarian, Robocop, Starship Troopers, bunches more) and the uncrowned master of thematic, "big" movie music, Jerry Goldsmith (may he rest in peace).
Oh yeah, excellent call on Klaus Badelt, I have both of those soundtracks as well and they kick similar amounts of ass. :) And of course, Goldsmith and Williams are pretty much always in these conversations too!

Of course, there's Ennio Morricone... Untouched as a composer (and, I suppose, director), but in a different league again compared to Zimmer. He's more sophisticated, I feel. He doesn't compose for maximum gut response, but speaks to higher parts of the brain. :)
I never realized how prevalent Morricone was, but pretty much all of his stuff I like. I agree with you though, he doesn't go for quite the same style (punch?) as Zimmer, but he's absolutely a phenomenal composer.

I memorized "Hans Zimmer" from the titles of Miami Vice (damn' I'm getting old :cry:).
The music in Inception trailer is superb, of course.

Yeah, Jan Hammer composed the (now immortal to us 80s kids) Crockett's Theme (and probably lots more too), from Miami Vice.

Oh yeah, excellent call on Klaus Badelt
Badelt is a fantastic composer. It's strange that he doesn't get more work. The The Time Machine score is available on Spotify, I urge anyone who hasn't seen the movie - and enjoy movie score music - to go listen to it immediately.

It's fabulously, amazingly good. Extremely strong themes, well-composed, melodic... It's a truly beautiful set of music. I used to put on the movie just to listen to the music (it's a quite fair movie I would like to add and I love Guy Pearce as an actor, he's as talented as an actor as Badelt is as a composer. :))

And of course, Goldsmith and Williams are pretty much always in these conversations too!
Those two have composed music for SO many movies... Of course their active work period stretches (stretched, in case of Goldsmith) over many decades, so it's not so strange perhaps. :)

I never realized how prevalent Morricone was, but pretty much all of his stuff I like.
Morricone has composed music for movies I never would have guessed. Did you know he composed the score for The Untouchables, for example?

Snyder, that's not Zimmer though, he doesn't edit the stuff for the final movie, he just writes it.

Well, now that you're saying it...it's interesting that I only have that assocication as strongly with Zimmer's stuff. Maybe when hiring Zimmer, the studio execs should pair him with an editor who is capable of handling his bombast with responsibility. :cool:

Yep, he is a top notch composer. He also did the score for MW2, btw.

For a second I thought you meant MechWarrior 2, the undisputed king of gaming sound tracks.

Spotify seems to have much of Zimmer's music available, including the sound tracks of Inception and Modern Warfare 2.

I like the Rock soundtrack, I think that was by Zimmer. Morricone has heaps of works. Actually the first time I recognised him was from Red Sonja. Then look him up and been collecting his works.

The guy that did the original Rocky Soundtrack Bill Conti is pretty good too. Such a memorable tracks. Rocky II OST is definitely my fav in the series.

Listening to Inception OST now. I've yet to see the movie. I bought more soundtracks than I do movie.

Listening to Inception OST now. I've yet to see the movie. I bought more soundtracks than I do movie.

The movie is pretty awesome as well. And the OST has now become my #1 choice for "music to listen to while coding".

Back