Internet Explorer 9 beta out

Weird. My reaction is completely different. I like the seach showing up under my history/favorites in the address bar.

You can turn off search suggestions btw.

Finally 64-bit flash. Took them long enough since we've had 64-bit browser for eons that wasn't really usable for everyday use.

Bleh, the more I use it the more I hate this UI. It's taken minimalist to unuseable levels, IMO. IE8 was already by default a bit too minimalist, IMO, but with everything set as toolbars basically, I could set it up to fit my work habits.

Now? No can do. Stuck with tabs on same line as address bar whether you want it or not. Favorites on the wrong arse side of the freaking window. There's an option to move stop/refresh, give me a freaking option to move a far more important button, the freaking favorites, not to mention the gdamn tabs. Want tabs on same line, fine. But give your users an option to move it as you have in the past. /rude.

Gah, I absolutely loathe this UI design.

Looking at it, this is the equivalent of dumbing down game UI for consoles, except in this case it's dumbing down the UI for mobile phones. Disgusting.

Regards,
SB

Please... If you "worry" about having a stop AND a refresh button visible "100% of the time", then you need therapy.

I've noticed a trend in your recent posts. Implying some one you're arguing with needs therapy will take you places.

As for your argument that there are no benefits, I've already conceded in my previous post that there's no clear right answer, why can't you do the same when there are browsers and the most recent Windows versions that behave this way and its users don't feel bewildered by it?

It's also offset by the fact there's one less button for the user to worry about for 100% of the time you're looking at the browser which MS admits being one of the goals for IE9. While there's no clear answer, IMHO the benefits are worth it.
Well I don't miss those couple of pixels much and I the buttons are small and integrated into the URL bar too. I did install the old Firefox extension for combining them also though.

It's nice to have the history in the menu of back/forward but a seperate button would be easier. :)
It seems some menus are going to change still, like the old IE8-like history/... panel. Customization is not enabled either, is it?

It's not very reliable but you should have a progress indicator on each tab.
When a new tab opens, the loading indicator is not active though. I gues it's a bug.

I've noticed a trend in your recent posts. Implying some one you're arguing with needs therapy will take you places.

Yes indeed, I do nothing these days except suggest people need therapy.

...Please. It was an off-the-cuff ironic remark, spawned by the ridiculously overexaggerated notion that having both a stop AND a reload button (which browsers have always had since the stone age back in the mid-90s) would actually be WORRISOME to users.

If that were indeed to be true, it would be the world's most irrelevant luxury problem. Fortunately however, I don't think a single person ever worried about having two buttons doing different things on their browser UI.

As for your argument that there are no benefits, I've already conceded in my previous post that there's no clear right answer, why can't you do the same when there are browsers and the most recent Windows versions that behave this way and its users don't feel bewildered by it?
I just don't place enough importance on this one single aspect to really have an opinion either way. TBH, I never even noticed windows explorer windows have a combined stop/reload button. It's not something I feel strongly about.

I'm a lot more concerned about Silent Buddha's scathing criticism of the UI of IE9; I personally absolutely detest the recent trends of searching from the address bar and putting tabs at the top of the window. I have a feeling I'm going to end up hating IE9 if that's how the program is going to look in its final release.

I personally absolutely detest the recent trends of searching from the address bar and putting tabs at the top of the window. I have a feeling I'm going to end up hating IE9 if that's how the program is going to look in its final release.

I made the URL bar as small as possible and actually I like the design, since I rarely type in URLs and when I do search for some site, I find having search in there just convenient. :)

It's not so bad per se having searches from the URL bar - as you say, most people don't type in many URLs... However, searching there pollutes the list of URLs I've previously typed in with random searches, which is bad IMO.

Yes, I also don't like the drop down list not being very wide. There is no cutomisability at all it seems.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're referring to address bar dropdown menu, it's just as wide as your address bar is

It is still the only browser that doesn't allow me to drag unlinked urls into address bar which I find myself as very productive way of navigating my world of websites. Either that or I don't know how to do it by just dragging.

I like it, pretty slick. But it just catches up to stuff other browsers have been using and still not as fast as Chrome. Unless I can find a compelling website that takes advantage of the hardware acceleration I'm not sure what it offers that the competition doesn't.

I find the competition doesn't offer me anything better too actually (apart from tab/session management in Firefox which seems buggy still). I'd like a working "fix layout" button/extension which converts a page to a horizontally narrow readable layout. It could even fix super small or large fonts too. :)

I like it, pretty slick. But it just catches up to stuff other browsers have been using and still not as fast as Chrome. Unless I can find a compelling website that takes advantage of the hardware acceleration I'm not sure what it offers that the competition doesn't.

Actually the competition offers me nothing that IE 8 doesn't offer, other than perhaps speed.

And IE 9 doesn't offer me anything either, other than speed. I'd be perfectly happy to stay with IE 8 (for the UI), but unfortunately, it's quite likely that MS will force updates through windows update.

It's still BETA, so I suppose there's still a tiny chance that MS will offer some customizability in order to return to IE 8 UI behavior, but I somehow doubt that will happen. After all look at the cock-up they did with Windows Explorer for Win7. Ugh. I'm getting really REALLY sick at this whole over simplification and thus reduced functionality that everyone seems to be doing now days.

Not so bad if you can still customize it how you want it, but part of the whole over-simplification is the removal of customizability. /rude. Current UI designers for all the modern browsers can suck my big fat hairy dick.

Apologies for the foul language. But this UI change really pisses me off to no end.

Regards,
SB

If you're referring to address bar dropdown menu, it's just as wide as your address bar is

I decreased its size to the minimum and the dropdown menu is a bit wider than that. :)

Also not having a Explorer like popup for showing the whole adress when you hover over the bar is annoying.

Gah this is so irritating. In order to keep my address bar history from becoming hopelessly cluttered with search results I've had to resort to going directly to bing.com, google.com, imdb.com, wikipedia.com, etc. in order to do searches.

Having a seperate search box was so incredibly useful and elegant that this new combination feels so crass, inefficient, and moronic. I can almost get used to the tabs where they are (still hate it) but I absolutely have not been able to adjust to having the search box combined with the address bar. When they first implemented it back in IE 7 it was a thing of beautiful genius. Now, it feels like evolution has reverted on itself and we're going back to user unfriendliness.

Regards,
SB

We can only hope it's being improved.

I had some weird Java problems, IE9 would suddenly crash at startup or when downloading. I had to reinstall Java.

Back