Capcom announces DmC Devil May Cry, developed by Ninja Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
The DMC3 Dante wouldn't even be the "man" in the relationship. When my brother (who happens to be gay) saw me playing that game he started laughing and called him "Schwester" (which means "sister" and is very derogatory) He thought the DMC1 and 4 Dantes were very attractive, though.

Well DMC3 was a prequel so that Dante was younger and less "manly" looking

I don't know how to feel about this. On one hand the trailer looked awesome. And on the other hand part of what made dante dante was the silver hair. It just doesn't feel like it should be dante.

I don't know how to feel about this. On one hand the trailer looked awesome. And on the other hand part of what made dante dante was the silver hair. It just doesn't feel like it should be dante.

He has some silver hair on the back maybe he is slowly changing into the dante you guys all love.

We know absolutely nothing about this game except it's name and the main character appearance.

Most of the fans are more concerned about the combat because ninja theory seems to make action games even simpler then god of war series.
but im a outsider so far haven't played a game in the series yet.
But it's appeal was 60 fps and combo interruption and chaining from friends that love the series.

As much as I loved Heavenly Sword, it's appeal was more visually and definately not its gameplay. Having said that, DMC was always a step ahead - even after the flawed sequels. I didn't even like DMC4, don't like the not being able to play as Dante, didn't like the story and too much cheesy stuff. But taking the series to Ninja Theory? Epic fail.

I love how people are judging the entire character and combat system off a two-minute video intro video. :rolleyes: (OMG he can't be Dante! Dante had WHITE hair!! And I am unclear on what the term "reboot" means!!!)

I saw "oh, new DMC" at first, and didn't really care because DMC4 was so shruggable. It could be that it would serve at a springboard to better things a la DMC2 to DMC3, but it could also indicate that the Capcom teams would continue to be stuck in a rut. Ya don' got no assurances, so where does it come across that a reboot attempt and new eyes on the project could only be a bad thing?

We've seen all of one title from Ninja Theory so far, which was three years ago, their first foray into this generation, and with a helluva lot of time spent on tool-building and tech, a strong emphasis on story and drama... and in the end having a fun-enough-if-NG/DMC-level-of-technicality combat system. And what we've seen of Enslaved so far has been mainly co-op/environmental/puzzle, with no clear indication on the combat system, but looks likely to be very different from Heavenly Sword used, or what a DMC would use.

Meanwhile, DMC has a fairly set universe and expectations, so there's not a lot to distract from combat getting the focus a DMC title deserves. Not necessarily any real pressure to deliver a fully new and unique worldscape, or new shticks to build gameplay around... I would expect Ninja Theory to bring along better story, acting, and animation as a matter of course (which WOULD be a pleasant change for a DMC), and physics and destructibility wouldn't be bad either... And chances are they're able to tap their own fully-mature tools and Capcom's fully-mature tools for whatever they want to do with the title, so... What makes everyone seem to think that a fun and focused combat system--with so much time able to be spent on precisely that--is beyond them? (Provided they're given enough time and support to deliver, of course.) I mean, that's what DmC is; do you think that will somehow slip their mind? Jeez... :p

Helluva snag, Ninja Theory dudes. I look forward to seeing what you pull off with it. :D

I watched the trailer earlier today and was extremely, extremely put off by the smoking.

Why is it in there? Kids are going to play this game. I just think it's fucking irresponsible and stupid, and they should cut it out, immediately. ...Although of course they won't.

In any case I'm not buying it. Not buying any more Ninja Theory or Capcom games again, ever. I won't stand for glorifying drug use.

I watched the trailer earlier today and was extremely, extremely put off by the smoking.

Why is it in there? Kids are going to play this game. I just think it's fucking irresponsible and stupid, and they should cut it out, immediately. ...Although of course they won't.

In any case I'm not buying it. Not buying any more Ninja Theory or Capcom games again, ever. I won't stand for glorifying drug use.

This is a very pertinent point I can agree with... although Konami and Kojipro did the same with Snake in the MGS series (altough i always felt it was less of glorifying in those games).

Still, as a hardcore DMC fan, and with as much as i loved Heavenly Sword and believe that NT can make great games, i don't believe that any western dev can make a great DMC game if it's sole purpose of creation is attempting to appeal to western gamer sensibilities. The trailer they showed looked naff to me... the "Dante" character i'm gonna call "phil" because he certainly isn't Dante to me. After messing up LP2 and now whoring out my favourite action game series to a western dev to make the bastard child of Twilight & Harry Potter, Capcom are now officially dead to me.

I'd hoped personally that after DMC3 & 4 (which i did think was a good game not great though) that Capcom would really do the series justice and put some real effort into making a solid DMC game with the same depth and combat of 3 but with a bit better story. Now as a long-time fan i feel as though they have just turned around to me and all the other fans of the series and given them a mighty great "screw you", by taking our baby away and sending it to the whorehouse to be violated over and over...

... sickening...

I actually feel like i've just been raped by a wiesel...

Did DMC sell better than HS?

I like the outdoor environments of HS better.

Reminds me, still got to play God of War 3.

Call of Duty glorifies war, Gears of War (and a bajillion other games) glorifies violence in general. Kids love 'em both. Oh noes, someone smokes a cigarette. Ban that distasteful piece of trash immediately!

Is the trailer really that bad ? I am not attached to Dante or the series. All I can sense is some slowness/awkwardness in animation and that's it (I thought the DMC4 Dante moves faster, but hey he's still inexperienced here).

He doesn't look healthy. Then again, I think Kratos' face looks far worse. :devilish:

I am more concerned with the performance since Enslaved doesn't seem to perform well based on early reports.

Call of Duty glorifies war, Gears of War (and a bajillion other games) glorifies violence in general. Kids love 'em both. Oh noes, someone smokes a cigarette. Ban that distasteful piece of trash immediately!

I was put off by his smoking too. It felt unnatural, not needed to complete his character i was put off by Snake smoking in the loading screens too, but to a lesser extent but I did wish they would change the loading screen once I got to the other acts, but it stayed the same
Violence has somehow got attached to games since the early years. In those days, with pixellated gfx, it didn't look that suggestive. With gfx bordering on photorealism, it does get repulsive sometimes. But there are means to justify violence and war by portraying patriotism or survival instinct. But I don't think the same goes for drugs. Drugs are completely avoidable in storylines, if the devs wish so. I have never liked any of the GTAs for the very reason that it makes me do things which suggest that I am drug addict and its fun to be an addict. Thats the reason I never bought Kane n Lynch 2, though I liked the gameplay in the demo.

NT seems to conciously made a decision that he'll be so much cooler and "badass"(oft used overhyped meaningless marketing oriented word) if he smokes. It seems as if they are saying " He is so cool, He even Smokes now !" its not just about the kids. Its natural human behaviour to ape someone we like. We try to be like the person we love. Its just that as adults we control our behaviour based on our experiences, but kids with a fresh look at life want to be like their idols, be like the hero on screen. Whether we show them Buzz Lightyear on screen or a drug abuser as a hero is a collective responsibilty of the society, not just the parents. Media is also part of the society. We shouldn't gag anybody but being part of a bigger world we live in we should take responsibilty of what we can influence by our actions. Media understands its influence, but denies it as it doesn't want to behave responsibly, as it hinders the general money making process. The responsibility, in the end, comes down to individuals who are making these design decisions. We can only hope that they have a such a broadr vision of the society.

I, do not like to see foul language and drugs in my games. It completely puts me off. I may be the minority, but I completelymdislike and make sure none of it makes way into the work I do. My stories/games stay clean.

Violence has somehow got attached to games since the early years. In those days, with pixellated gfx, it didn't look that suggestive. With gfx bordering on photorealism, it does get repulsive sometimes. But there are means to justify violence and war by portraying patriotism or survival instinct. But I don't think the same goes for drugs. Drugs are completely avoidable in storylines, if the devs wish so. I have never liked any of the GTAs for the very reason that it makes me do things which suggest that I am drug addict and its fun to be an addict. Thats the reason I never bought Kane n Lynch 2, though I liked the gameplay in the demo.

Patriotism justifies the depiction of violence? Sorry, but I really don't think so. It doesn't get much more tasteless and despicable than exploiting real world misery for profit like the Michael Bay-ish war theme-park rides such as Call of Duty or MoH do so successfully at the moment.

Also, violence isn't any less avoidable in storylines than drugs are. It all depends on the story. Avoiding GTA due to some drug references while completely ignoring the over the top violence sounds, quite frankly, like hypocritical bullshit to me.

People are flawed. Nicotine addiction is such a flaw. It's also a part of the character, often a rather dominant one. You can absolutely use flaws like that for story purposes.

I have clearly said that violence with these new photorealistic gfx can get equally repulsive. Don't choose n read, my friend. There's nothing hypocritical about saying what I said. Its all in good sense.

Arguments and discussions, on the other hand, can go on forever. I said what I feel, if u r fine with addicts as ifols for yourself and kids, I don't think you'll see my point.
I think a clean environment for future generations is possible, I think of it as our responsibilty. You think of it as stifling the natural flow of things and creating an artificial reality for them. I see that as shirking your responsibility. Our forefathers tried to make a society according to their thought process, something they thought would help us grow into fine people. We, with our sensibilities , doing the same is not curtailing natural flow of life, its our duty. If we create an environment where our kids are shielded from drugs, then wouldn't it be better for their life n health, as well as for the whole world ? At least, we can try where we can control the portrayal of drugs, not promote it as something "Cool!".

Anyways, As I said, it can happen only at individual level, marketing companies will not want to see that point.

I am not against creative freedom either, you can see that in my earlier post. I, myself, am in that field of work and I choose not to portray harmful behaviour as Heroic as much as I can.

Lets not derail this thread anymore. Lest it gets closed or something ;) ! Discussions like this can belong to PMs !

( runs before an admin comes with a hammer:p)

Guys really you're that upset that a character can be seen smoking in a game? I actually like the fact that videogames are slowly becoming more realistic in their portrail of a character. Let's be honest here smoking and drinking happens damn near everywhere in real life at some point or other. While smoking is on it's way (we hope) out it is still depicted in tv and the movies. Are you that upset when a videogames does it when they are exposed to it every day through other media?

Now enough of that rant but seriously I understand what the term reboot means and their could be many explanations of why he looks that way but in my opinion you just don't mess with what makes an iconic character the icon in the first place. I'd be fine with it if this is a new character like nero in DMC4 though.

I don't get why they had to change him so much to the point it's not recognizable any more.
Why not just make it a completely new character? Or focus on Nero?

I also don't see the need for a reboot AT ALL.
DMC4 wasn't all that great, but it certainly wasn't horrible.

I guess they are going for a more darker and maturer route, but I have a feeling it's going to end up as cheesy as the rest of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back