HTML5 on consoles

The split in presentation and engine may be for Google tablet (like iPad ?) instead of for PS3.

There are business and security issues Sony need to tackle first before incorporating Android into PS3.

The split in presentation and engine may be for Google tablet (like iPad ?) instead of for PS3.

There are business and security issues Sony need to tackle first before incorporating Android into PS3.

Not porting Android to the PS3 , streaming or playing on the PS3 from an Android platform. The "security split" is in all Chrome versions but not in Chromium. Chrome can not directly control system GPUs. This may be a convenient hook/split used to apply Angle or for implementing WebGL but it also splits Chrome at a convenient point for handhelds to issue GL graphics commands and for consoles and PCs to accept GL graphics commands.

Last edited by a moderator:
General 3D announced a web-based 3-D stereoscopic system to stream 3-D stereoscopic videos using only a browser. This new system uses the HTML5 and WebGL standards being built into Mozilla FireFox, Google Chrome and Apple Safari (you need to use the latest beta versions for WebGL). Great technology, being able to play HD stereoscopic movies in your browser with on the fly image processing done in the GPU.

http://www.3df33d.tv/ October 25th, 2010 at 10:30 am

The above site is in advance of this feature being available on the above browsers (except Firefox). Sony announced this feature to be available within a year on the PS3, that was about 7 months ago. One could then speculate that one of the above is coming to the PS3 within that year. Apple Safari can be eliminated as can Mozilla Firefox as that company issued a denial. That leaves Opera and Chrome.

The black and white icons in the website indicate no current support for 3-D, only Firefox with it's latest WebGL release supports 3-D.

I would guess Chrome is coming to the PS3 and considering WebGL is not finished Sony should not be bashed for a slow port of Chrome to the PS3.

In any case this confirms a WebGL HTML5 Web-Kit (Apple calls it a webkit2) browser is coming to the PS3. This from Sony stating 3-D inside a browser on the PS3 within a year.

Timetable for the release of a new browser with 3-D player on the PS3 would then be first quarter 2011; A webGL browser is the first step and might come to the PS3 sooner. There is no way to tell Sony's timetable as it depends in large part on Google (if my guess is correct).

Again, my speculation and supporting facts from the Hulu and MLB apps that a partial Webkit was in the PS3 and partially active with PS3 firmware 3.5 is supported. Ultraviolet also requires parts of a wekit and integration with PS3 OS processes that use IP, HTML5 Javascript, H.264 and an existing DRM in the Kit either through Adobe Flash AIR http://www.adobe.com/products/air/ or one supplied by Sony. Sony has announced Ultraviolet support for late this year or first quarter 2011.

The Adobe® AIR® 2.5 runtime enables developers to use HTML, JavaScript, Adobe Flash® Professional software, and ActionScript® to build web applications that run as standalone client applications without the constraints of a browser. Adobe AIR, a key component of the Flash Platform, unleashes the creativity of designers and developers by providing a consistent and flexible development environment for the delivery of applications across devices and platforms. Support for Android™ BlackBerry™ Tablet OS and iOS* mobile operating system, and TVs is now available.

Google announced a tighter integration of Flash with Chrome that requires Google to update Flash as part of a Chrome update.

Probably boots a different OS.

There are PCs on the market today that can boot into Windows and Linux for malware protection reason (restore from Linux into Windows). They can probably install a WebOS if they want to.

That was the point, mini-Chrome OS. It could exist in ROM at 47 megs and load to memory running as an Android OS application without most OS features.

I didn't get the survey, but I can give Sony more info. ^_^

The "what" doesn't really matter here. The "how" does.

Most of Sony's Internet integration effort (YouTube uploading, Google search, Facebook Gallery and API) are too fragmented and have very little impact. Figure out the right way to integrate the existing apps first, put them in the right context (e.g., Specialized GoogleTV search is probably more relevant than the generic Google Search XMB icon we have now; it would also unify all the different video rental/purchase services on PS3). Come up with a unify way to link them with common use cases (e.g., View photos on PCs)

Jeff (Sony Blog) mentioned that the Forum would be redesigned (late 2010) to better work with the browser. I can only assume he means a new browser and I would imagine Google TV and your suggestions above are a part of the redesign.

Jeff (Sony Blog) mentioned that the Forum would be redesigned (late 2010) to better work with the browser. I can only assume he means a new browser and I would imagine Google TV and your suggestions above are a part of the redesign.

Or they're just redesigning the forums to work better with the existing browser, just like they've changed the blog to make the videos work with the PS3's existing browser earlier this year. If we got a new webkit based browser, we wouldn't have needed a redesign in the first place.

As much as I would love this to happen, you're fitting all the evidence you've found so far to your desire to want it to happen, rather than reality. You should try to compile a list of evidence for and against, and/or try to disprove your own point. It's typical for people who search for evidence to miss all the evidence against.

For me, I'm not even bothered to go into finding evidence much - first I need to hear that there's a change in responsibility for the XMB/Browser happening in Japan, or even better, from Japan to Europe. I think that would be the first step towards hope on a better PS3 browsing future.

Or they're just redesigning the forums to work better with the existing browser, just like they've changed the blog to make the videos work with the PS3's existing browser earlier this year. If we got a new webkit based browser, we wouldn't have needed a redesign in the first place.

As much as I would love this to happen, you're fitting all the evidence you've found so far to your desire to want it to happen, rather than reality.
Seriously Jeff. At this point I'd expect you to conclude a Webkit browser coming to PS3 from a cow chewing grass. Come back to the ground please.

I think I'd use the current version more if it had decent Move integration.

The Japanese guys flat-out said they didn't see how that would add anything, I believe. Another big count against them making any sense.

As much as I would love this to happen, you're fitting all the evidence you've found so far to your desire to want it to happen, rather than reality. You should try to compile a list of evidence for and against, and/or try to disprove your own point. It's typical for people who search for evidence to miss all the evidence against.

For me, I'm not even bothered to go into finding evidence much - first I need to hear that there's a change in responsibility for the XMB/Browser happening in Japan, or even better, from Japan to Europe. I think that would be the first step towards hope on a better PS3 browsing future.

The quote from Jeff Rubinstein (Sony blog) was just after a major UI redesign. The current blog UI is a 4:3 designed for PCs not a 16:9 for TVs. The font size is too small to be viewed from 10-15 feet away in a normal TV viewing distance.

Re: Presenting both sides on 3-D browser for PS3 coming from Sony Quote.

There is only either it's coming or Sony lied. If it's coming then it's either Chrome, Opera or a TOTALLY rewritten Netfront browser (not possible in my opinion). Integrating Ultraviolet, dealing with the lack of memory in the PS3 and the Cell would require Sony Japan to custom code a browser port for the PS3 and I do not see Opera allowing that.

The logic of todays post is inescapable, it's weak point is that it relies on a quote from only one Sony executive (not Jeff Rubenstein) 6 months old without any more recent news. http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/12/3d-blu-ray-ps3-update-dated-for-september-youtube-3d-support-pl/

"As with Blu-ray movies, Sony is using the PS3 as a Trojan horse for pushing new technology. 3D is a major corporate focus for Sony, as evidenced by plans to support not only 3D movies and games, but 3D photos as well "later in the year." SCEE senior director Mick Hocking has also promised support for 3D broadcasts through the Europe-exclusive PlayTV service, as well. Additionally, "YouTube will be supporting 3D content over the next 12 months as well – and you'll be able to watch that on the PlayStation 3."

The business "reality" recognized by most of us is that Sony must port a WebGL webkit browser to the PS3 to stay relevant. It must port a WebGL browser to support 3-D inside the browser, it must port a webkit browser to support applications like the Xbox did, it must port a webkit browser to support ultraviolet and it must port a WebGl browser to support webgames.

Why exactly would anyone want to run android apps on the ps3?

Because it will be like the return of OtherOS? Having a linux implementation, albeit a mobile version? Nevertheless, on my android devices, I can easily root, install custom OS versions, get a ssh client off market, use the Chrome browser with both HTML5 and Flash support, and make my own apps that will fully utilize the graphics co-processor.

It would finally indicate Sony opening up their platform.

This is why I think it will never happen on the PS3.

I think it's easier for Sony to add GoogleTV capability without going full Android. Many apps are thin clients today. They don't need the entire Android software library per se, so no need to root the PS3 with WebOS. The only major work is the standalone web browser, and we know EA did it.

The question is: What is the vision for PS3 in Sony's mind ?

More importantly why would Sony want android apps on their lossy hardware? What's in it for them if they can't make money from it?

Damn you and your logic.

Though I could bring up PS3 Linux, oh wait it's gone. How about flash in the web browser. Isnt that still 1 version behind the desktop?

PS3 Linux could have served Sony a purpose in developing Cell talent. the fact it didn't really help in that regard may have helped with the decision to drop it, as it wasn't proving useful (except to hackers!).

Back