Rumour: Sony considering Backwards Compatibility peripheral

patsu

Legend
On a related note...
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/1...nsole-to-previous-generation-console-adapter/

Sony may be investigating an external adapter to act as a bridge. Japanese message boards are buzzing about a patent filed by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan for a new generation to previous generation console adapter.

A schematic of the proposed adapter (200) shows the device has its own processor, a DVD decoder/emulator, sound processor, and graphic processor

This was raised as an idea by someone in a previous BC discussion. It makes a lot of sense and would give Sont a BC path for next gen, cutting their teeth this gen. Would I buy it? If it were cheap, maybe. I'd like to play BGDA and CON again.

I think it just be better for sony to wait a gen .

For example. PS1 BC offered on PS3 . PS1+PS2 BC offered on PS4 and so on. That allows them to have a new stream of bc titles each generation.

Of course mabye as sony adopts more main stream designs for thier console BC wont be as hard. Right now there are 0 emulated ps2 titles on the ps3. MS has what 250 xbox 1 titles on xbox 360 up and running ?

Makes sense if it is cheap. I just don't understand the big deal with BC. I don't see why manufacturers think consumers are infatuated enough with such a convenience to warrant millions in investment. At least with Sony monetizing the feature, we will get to see if BC is really a big must have feature.

I think it just be better for sony to wait a gen .

For example. PS1 BC offered on PS3 . PS1+PS2 BC offered on PS4 and so on. That allows them to have a new stream of bc titles each generation.

Of course mabye as sony adopts more main stream designs for thier console BC wont be as hard. Right now there are 0 emulated ps2 titles on the ps3. MS has what 250 xbox 1 titles on xbox 360 up and running ?

BC isn't hard because the hardware isn't main stream, it's because there are differences between the two with regards to bandwidth, etc. Sony would simply have to plan ahead next generation and ensure that there is enough bandwidth to accommodate all previous systems through emulation, and they'll be fine.

Dose usb 2.0 realy have the bandwidth for this to work? input output ?
lots of data being sent back and forth.
or perhaps it will use the eternet port ?

Ethernet. The block before the two ports on the right translates to "hub". The characters on the "203" line translates to router. i.e. you're not losing ethernet just by having this adapter.

Ethernet. The block before the two ports on the right translates to "hub". The characters on the "203" line translates to router. i.e. you're not losing ethernet just by having this adapter.

yes that was wat i was thinking. PS3 enters "Ps2" mode.
wonder about the price tag?
50$/50??

yes that was wat i was thinking. PS3 enters "Ps2" mode.
wonder about the price tag?
50$/50??
Should cost pretty much the same as a PS2 to make... since thats what it apparently is. Maybe this will be the replacement once the PSTwo gets retired.

So data is read in the PS3, sent to the addon to be processed, sent back to the PS3 for display? Interesting.

I wonder what sort of protection as well as how robust the protection will be. Otherwise, hackers could subvert the system to run PS2 from their PC through this addon. And in theory run PS2 games through this through a JTAGed X360. :D

Anyway, interesting none-the-less.

Regards,
SB

Could open the door for selling PS2 games through PSN. They'd work for anyone with an existing backwards compatible PS3 and anyone who buys the PS2 module.

Yup. It seems like Sony might have had something like this in mind when they specced a gigabyte ethernet port.

I think it's sad that something so basic as this can be patented.

So it's a PS2 duct-taped to the top of a PS3?

I have not read the patent. From the pictures, it doesn't seem like it's locked to PS2 + PS3.

To me it's more interesting with PS3 + PS4 since PS3 is designed with a distribution system architecture from the ground up. The other way to think of this is playing PS3 games on a PC (assuming PS4 is even more like a PC) over gigabit network ?

I have not read the patent. From the pictures, it doesn't seem like it's locked to PS2 + PS3.

It's not, but it's an easy assumption given that it's DVD in the adapter. (Of course, changing it to blu-ray wouldn't make the patent worthless.)

Yeah... even better with a Blu-ray. Most PCs don't have a Blu-ray drive yet. So adding a Blu-ray box that can play PS3 games would be fun. This is not a speculation of any kind, just patent interpretation (Not enough gigabit network at home, me think).

Yeah... even better with a Blu-ray. Most PCs don't have a Blu-ray drive yet. So adding a Blu-ray box that can play PS3 games would be fun. This is not a speculation of any kind, just patent interpretation (Not enough gigabit network at home, me think).

Well, it's just a decoder rather than an actual drive in the adapter.

Back