HDCP 'master key' is in the wild?

Was just reading EB where Hanners posted up about the HDCP 'master key' getting loose and DRM pretty much being dead now for all practical purposes.

Anyone hear anything? :|
I red the same and was going to post this, if you google a bit you can find the "master key" including how you generate keys from it. So Im certain we will soon hear if its the real thing or not.
I dont think theres any reasonable way that the key could`ve been found, other than leaking it.

Im not sure if this will have huge effects at all, I think HDCP primary function is to annoy you if your TV/Monitor doesnt support it. While Pirates just directly read out discs....

I dont think theres any reasonable way that the key could`ve been found, other than leaking it.

Actually, it can be reverse-engineered from 40 devices (blu-ray player etc.) that contain linearly independant keys generated from the master key. (or a larger number of non-linearly independant keys)

So we will see a bunch of cheap Chinese-made HDMI capture devices poping up in the following weeks.

Considering that most of the stuff finds has found it's way online so far without this master key, in practical terms, it's impact may well be limited.

The connection between the source device and the recipient (sink). This could, say, open up the ability to build a digital HD-PVR from PC components and a cheap unauthorized capture card.

It seems you'd still need something FPGA based, so cheap might not be true. And DMCA will likely prevent widespread sales from 3rd parties. And like I said, as a existing or prospective file sharer, why should you bother? And if you are a MPAA/RIAA/whatever suit, how does it make the present situation any worse?

I hate DRM that makes my life miserable. <-- Just thought I would chime in :)

If only this leads to a panacea type situation with DVD where you can get free (software) players and so forth that would be awesome. Oh and I should point out I don't see how this would help that at all, but maybe somehow it would enable killing a protected path requirement which might help a few folks still.

Sure, but why not just decode them in a software solution on the receiving end? (Ofcourse you'll need hdmi receiver hardware that can pass the encrypted signal through)

They'll probably just force a new standard that's even more annoying :(

IIRC, I read that Sony is trying to push something packet/ip based using ethernet-style cabling with encryption on top. The range is supposed to be much higher than HDMI cables. Same old BS to try and get us all to buy a load of new equipment for something that lines Sony's pockets, but doesn't benefit the customer.

what I wonder is does this allow to playback HCDP protected content on a VGA monitor, using some software layer which would act as a dummy hardware HDCP device. Or is cracking bluray DRM for instance enough.

what I wonder is does this allow to playback HCDP protected content on a VGA monitor, using some software layer which would act as a dummy hardware HDCP device. Or is cracking bluray DRM for instance enough.

AnyDVD HD already allowed for that exact scenario since the day it was released, over three years ago (yes all the way back in beginning of 2007), by cracking the BluRay and HD-DVD DRM.

The connection between the source device and the recipient (sink).
Yeah, the contents on the disk itself is encrypted with AACS or whatever & previous attacks have used weaknesses in that part of the system by my understanding.

Presumably they could generate a new Master key & send out firmware/software/blacklist updates and/or start selling new hardware with the new keys but that would lead to the doomsday situation of most HD equipment suddenly irrevocably not working anymore.
And anyway, it'd only be a matter of time before someone did the same thing again to find the new Master.

I've seen suggestion that this may not actually be the Master but a reverse engineered, compatible key.
Presumably only compatible with a subset of keys (from the section of keys used so-far) & maybe only a blacklist update is needed short term?
Still would have the same issue of someone reverse engineering the new key and that would probably happen quicker and quicker each time they changed.

Edit: here is where I heard it
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ter-key-leak-could-be-fatal-to-drm-scheme.ars

Including the link to the thing http://pastebin.com/kqD56TmU

Last edited by a moderator:
Back