The mystery of the 500 Scoped_dir folders...

Cool! Appreciate the help.

<EDIT> Didn't want to double post, but I was wondering what the --"%1" in the commandline for chrome does. I seem to not be able to get chrome to open links from GAIM anymore. When I click a buddy's link, it'll open chrome but automatically go to my homepage instead of the desired link.

<EDIT 2> Seems like it pipes whatever input the calling program gives to chrome. It doesn't like working w/ the ramdisk options though...

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool! Appreciate the help.

<EDIT> Didn't want to double post, but I was wondering what the --"%1" in the commandline for chrome does. I seem to not be able to get chrome to open links from GAIM anymore. When I click a buddy's link, it'll open chrome but automatically go to my homepage instead of the desired link.

<EDIT 2> Seems like it pipes whatever input the calling program gives to chrome. It doesn't like working w/ the ramdisk options though...

It works fine with the ramdisk option, you just have to make sure to preserve the %1 argument for all points in the registry that you had to change to reflect the new caching / location settings.

Hmm, I changed all the keys w/ "\shell\open\command\" in the path to end in the ramdrive options as well as --"%1" and for the ones w/ "startmenu" I appended just the ramdrive options, but didn't touch the ones w/ "install" or "update" etc in the path. Launching a saved website from the desktop fails to work; chrome loads into my homepage instead. Ah well... I'll try to figure it out tomorrow.

Edit: Looks like Chrome's auto update fixed things when it updated me to chrome 16!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just did this as well finally since I had a free moment, but I only put firefox cache onto the RAM drive for now. Still given that it was 600MB it seems like a good idea. I am not sure what other programs can happily abide there. I might change it to 4GB later, but now it is at 2GB since that will probably be enough. There amount of problems a person could accidentally get from trying to install programs from the ram drive though seems large since they disappear upon reboot.

So I just received my upgrade components today. Moving to a i5-3570k, ASRock Extreme4 Z77 mboard, Crucial M4 SSD, 16Gb RAM and an MSI 7870. The motherboard comes with XFast RAM utility which looks like it will do most of the suggested steps made by Albuquerque. Anyone use this function on their ASRock?

The only thing I'll need to do manually it seems is the Chrome cache as the XRam utility only supports IE cache in the utility.

Used the info here: http://www.ghacks.net/2010/10/19/how-to-change-google-chromes-cache-location-and-size/ ...to try and move google chrome's cache location to a different drive than default, and it's just not doing ANYTHING...at all.

Chrome's not caching anything in any different way at all. Using the most current version of course, whatever the hell that might be. Anyone know what might be wrong? Googling a google product trying to find some additional information has turned up nothing. :cry:

Help, please?

When I got my ASRock with the XFastRAM utility I had tried this and couldn't get it working either. The utility creates the RAM disk and even modifies Firefox and IE to put the cache on that disk.

I just tried symbolic link (mklink /D) instead here at work and it seemed to be fine (at least to the same hard disk, don't have a RAM drive here)

Back