The mystery of the 500 Scoped_dir folders...

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
I just noticed I have almost half a thousand empty folders in my C:\Users\Xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp folder, all of them following the pattern of scoped_dir33 to scoped_dir32754...

What the HELL is going on? Some googling shows a lot of hits concerned with chrome, and I do have chrome installed, but why so damn many folders, and why are all of them empty???

I don't want to just kill the lot of them - although I'm sure tempted to - because it's generally regarded a bad idea to delete stuff you don't know what it's for (even though it's a temp folder), lol, but I would sure be interested in knowing where all this crap came from. If it's chrome that made them, then it's not going to stay on my system anymore, that's for sure.

you could move them into a zip that way if deleting them causes a problem you can put them back
thats what I did with all the folders in c:\windows called (big long hex number.tmp) that all contained a single file called wisecustomcalla.dll

ps: anything in event log

This is why all my environment temp variables point to a 2Gb ramdrive, along with my Chrome and IE browser caches, and I even put my swap file there. Yes, I know, swap file in a ramdrive, what fucking moron does that shit? Well, I have absolutely no 64-bit apps that will take up my 6Gb of remaining available memory, so only my 32-bit apps (that are limited to 3 or 4Gb depending) will be burning up swapfile space in ram.

I can't tell you what a boon this has been for my laptop's performance in pretty much anything -- MS office apps, games, browsing, virtual machines, you name it.

As for what to do with your files? They're temp files, they're ripe for deletion, so blow them away. Any app that is storing permanent data in your temp location needs to be immediately removed from your machine, so if you discover that removing these files breaks something, then it's time to uninstall whatever that something is.

I would find it akin to worrying about emptying your deleted items bin. ;)

Yeah, I'm sure you're right on the money with the viability of temp folder stuff, I just wanted to save myself any possible future hassle by not immediately nuking everything from orbit to be sure. ;)

What ramdrive software are you using, and how many temp variables do you have to redirect there (and where do I set them? :D) It would save some wear and tear on my SSD if I moved temp folders off it.

I've moved IEs cache to a standard HDD to not clutter up my tiny SSD with tons of junk, but I've not found a way to move Chrome's cache folder, there doesn't seem to be a way to set another path from within chrome itself. Do I have to edit its config file manually or somesuch nonsense? I circumvent that issue right now by using anonymous browsing those times I use chrome, as I understand it doesn't save anyhting to disk then...

What ramdrive software are you using, and how many temp variables do you have to redirect there (and where do I set them? :D) It would save some wear and tear on my SSD if I moved temp folders off it.
Yeah, I've got an OCZ Vertex 2 extended 120Gb SSD too, and I really wanted to get rid of all those temp writes. Figured this was a good use of my 8Gb of ram ;)

I'm using DataRam's free ramdisk for my needs. Here's how I configged it: I created a two gig ram disk in Fat32 format, used disk management to assign it drive letter Z:, created a TEMP and CACHE folder on it, and then used the DataRam control panel to save my ramdisk image to the C:\ drive (the only contents should be your two folders and nothing else.) Then I went out to the C:\ drive, right-clicked the RAMDISK.IMG file, and flipped the compression bit - my 2Gb raw image file smashed down into ~16Kb.

Then I configured their control panel to load that image on every boot, but NOT to save it. This way, it will read that 16kb from disk, blow it up into your ramdisk with the folders already created, and keep the letter you assigned to it. I configured my paging file to use the Z: drive for 128Mb min / 1536Mb max; it automatically recreates itself on every boot. I repointed the system global and my user local TEMP and TMP environment variables to Z:\TEMP folder, and pointed IE and Chrome to use Z:\CACHE as their cache.

Here's how you config Chrome to redirect cache and manage size (took a bit of digging for me too...)

Open up RegEdit, search for Chrome.exe". Notice that I used a single double-quote at the end, but NOT at the beginning -- there is a method to my madness :D This should limit your search hits for cases where Chrome is getting called, you'll find a big pile of them. The dead giveaway should be that most of them will have a --"%1" argument (one will not -- that will be your start menu link entry.)

Replace the --"%1" with this: --disk-cache-size=134217728 --media-cache-size=134217728 --disk-cache-dir=Z:\CACHE --media-cache-dir=Z:\CACHE --"%1"

For that one argument that doesn't have the --"%1" in it, just strip that piece. You can adjust those numbers and path locations to your liking, but that's what my laptop is using: 128mb max cache size for data, 128mb max cache size for media, and both are located in my Z:\CACHE folder :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an EPIC reply, Albu. Thank you!

I have downloaded that ramdrive software and will try it out in a bit - I've got 12 gigs in my box and never used half of it... (Why do I have 12 gigs when I clearly don't need it? I just hate having empty sockets on any gadgets I own, including computers. I *have* to fill them up - it's my kind of OCD. :LOL:)

Hey Grall, did you ever get this working like you wanted? If you're even still reading this thread? ;)

:oops: Uh, I kind of got stuck figuring out how to set the system-global variables; the user variables are visible in the System Properties control panel applet, but not the global ones. ...And then I got sidetracked and forgot to finish what I started. D'oh!

Also, I'll hold off on using chrome seriously for now as I still can't see how to make it synch with my google-stored bookmarks. It's fooken weird I have to use microsoft's browser to access my GOOGLE bookmarks...

But I'll get there! :D Thanks, preciate your effort!

Okay, so I need to find another ramdrive software. The one you suggested, Albuquerque, might be fabulous, but it has built-in advertisment popup shit in it, and the UAC triggers every god damn time the UI is started. Drives me buggo. :(

It only does that if you're using the UI... But you don't need to use the UI but maybe only once or twice to get it configured. Get it sized, get your image created, and then you'll never see it again.

Unless they're doing something 'new' that doesn't exist on my version ...

So I like the whole scheme, 2 Questions:

1. Do you lose browsing history, passwords, etc. Or just temp bung like tons of jpegs.

2. Can you control the channels to the ram drive, i.e. 1-2-3 channels, or is it just a random chunk?

control the channels ???
ps: i know you dont lose passwords not sure about the history as i never save my history

Just be careful with what programs you use for cleaning SSD's as some can really shorten SSD life.

That's why I just stick to my RAID 0 array using to mechanical drives...

Min read speed of 200+mb/s and over 1Tb of storage :cool:

Who needs an SSD :p

Your min. read speed is in the range of a few hundred, or even few dozen kB/s for random 512b sectors.

Your min. linear read speed at the innermost cylinders is likely around 120ish MB/s, due to the much shorter data tracks there.

Anyway, consumer HDD RAID arrays don't live up to the brute performance of a modern SSD. There's just no comparison.

control the channels ???
ps: i know you dont lose passwords not sure about the history as i never save my history

I mean if you have dual / triple channel ram, does a SW ram drive allow you to control how that allocation get's spread across channels. Upon consideration, I assume it's FCFS. Also, SSD advice is appreciated, but this is actually the irritating tmp file / ram drive thread from earlier that I just resurrected.

I mean if you have dual / triple channel ram, does a SW ram drive allow you to control how that allocation get's spread across channels.
That's not possible, regardless what RAM is used for, since mapping of logical memory addresses to physical memory ICs is managed directly in hardware by the memory controller. It's not something you as a user need to worry about. :)

That's not possible, regardless what RAM is used for, since mapping of logical memory addresses to physical memory ICs is managed directly in hardware by the memory controller. It's not something you as a user need to worry about. :)

Thnx Grall, and thnx for your tireless patience with my dumbass SSD inquiries in other threads. :D

Back