PowerVR Series 6 now official

I don't think so. IMG is the only player in town with TBDR, which is ideal for mobile. That'll give them a clear edge methinks.

Considering how important perf/W is nowadays even for high end designs I don't agree that the DR advantages are exclusive to the ULP SoC space. Other than that since nothing is perfect, there are both advantages and disadvantages to TBDR.

Any reason to believe that with Nvidia and now AMD, IMG will fall behind in mobile GPU performance?

Let me flip that coin for you on a hypothetical basis: if IMG would think to re-enter the standalone GPU market would you be worried that AMD and NVIDIA would fall behind in standalone GPU performance?

Fudzilla carrying a "story" that Mediatek 8135 may be getting used by Amazon in a kindle.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/34696-mediatek-reportedly-lands-an-amazon-deal

WTF is that thing anyway? Wasn't it supposed to arrive late last year? I heard something in the background that there are slight delays due to Android 4.4 updates, but there are 4.4 products shipping. Either there's something wrong with it or they're stock piling SoCs for a Amazon hard launch; whereby ironically their MT6595 sounds like it'll be far more efficient.

OT but Pipo is pre-selling a RK3288 Android 4.4 tablet at 160+ Euros and I can't say that I'm not tempted ;)

Other than that since nothing is perfect, there are both advantages and disadvantages to TBDR.
Overall I think the advantages win out; after all, IMG has kept at it for a very long time now, they could easily have abandoned their tech any time they wanted and they haven't...

Considering how successful they've been, it seems others too agree the advantages win out. :)

Let me flip that coin for you on a hypothetical basis: if IMG would think to re-enter the standalone GPU market would you be worried that AMD and NVIDIA would fall behind in standalone GPU performance?
No. Hardware is just one piece in the PC space, the driver is even more important (and a huge giant mess for the most part); the effort to build a driver that handles all the popular (and obscure) titles people enjoy that can render graphics both quickly and correctly would be absolutely tremendous. Took Intel years to even begin to master, I'm sure IMG would rather skip that headache entirely... :)

Is there even that much money to be had from going there? I doubt it, they'd be competing against two already very well established players meaning unless sudden devastating fires were to break out in the development offices of NV and AMD, IMG's share of the pie would always be a minority piece of the whole, and then there's also the fact the PC marketspace overall is shrinking...

Overall I think the advantages win out; after all, IMG has kept at it for a very long time now, they could easily have abandoned their tech any time they wanted and they haven't...

So why didn't AMD/Intel or NVIDIA abandon their IMR strategy?

Considering how successful they've been, it seems others too agree the advantages win out. :)
Coincidentially they've been highly successful in a market which accidently is IDEAL for IP licensing while standalone GPUs are the exact opposite. Weird isn't it?

No. Hardware is just one piece in the PC space, the driver is even more important (and a huge giant mess for the most part); the effort to build a driver that handles all the popular (and obscure) titles people enjoy that can render graphics both quickly and correctly would be absolutely tremendous. Took Intel years to even begin to master, I'm sure IMG would rather skip that headache entirely... :)
It was a trick question in response to a rather meaning less question above, but Imagination or at those days Videologic has been actually selling at the advent of 3D GPU IP for standalone GPUs. It was after ST Micro abandoned its KYRO "experiment" that they decided to concentrate on the ULP mobile market entirely.

Is there even that much money to be had from going there? I doubt it, they'd be competing against two already very well established players meaning unless sudden devastating fires were to break out in the development offices of NV and AMD, IMG's share of the pie would always be a minority piece of the whole, and then there's also the fact the PC marketspace overall is shrinking...
If it would make sense to reach the standalone GPU market yes definitely. At the moment they're getting an average of 20-30 cents per GPU IP core; for theoretical PC or console GPU IP it should be in the less than a handful of pounds per core royalty and that's quite a difference.

That's all redundant anyway; by the time one aknowledges that the GPU market is NOT ideal for IP licensing it's not worth to even think about it. On the flip side of things and to re-connect to the question I tried to answer above: AMD and NVIDIA are not really in an ideal position for the ULP SoC market exactly because IP makes more sense for it.

WTF is that thing anyway? Wasn't it supposed to arrive late last year? I heard something in the background that there are slight delays due to Android 4.4 updates, but there are 4.4 products shipping. Either there's something wrong with it or they're stock piling SoCs for a Amazon hard launch; whereby ironically their MT6595 sounds like it'll be far more efficient.

OT but Pipo is pre-selling a RK3288 Android 4.4 tablet at 160+ Euros and I can't say that I'm not tempted ;)

http://www.tinydeal.com/teclast-p98-97-ips-android-422-mtk8135-3g-tablet-phone-p-127562.html

Ok that's the 3G version which should add somewhat in price, but it's way too overprized for what it actually is. And only 4.2.2 at this stage? WTF really.....:rolleyes:

Note that the "half cluster" terminology we use for G60x0 means a single USC with half the usual amount of pipelines (8 instead of 16). The table is a teeny bit unclear (says 1/2 a USC with 8 pipelines per USC, which isn't quite right).

Back