PowerVR Series 6 now official

well ok then...I'll post it in THIS thread !

http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?NewsID=716

"'Rogue’: Imagination’s partners will debut the first PowerVR Series6 products, including TVs, at CES 2013 while Imagination will demonstrate the family’s advanced OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenCL capabilities."

A surprise to me that the first rogue product implementation (in fact multiple), is not by Apple

well ok then...I'll post it in THIS thread !

http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?NewsID=716

"'Rogue’: Imagination’s partners will debut the first PowerVR Series6 products, including TVs, at CES 2013 while Imagination will demonstrate the family’s advanced OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenCL capabilities."

A surprise to me that the first rogue product implementation (in fact multiple), is not by Apple

This just got me wondering. Would PowerVR6 be powerful enough for Apple to use it on their Desktop as well? Given Apple would have to be developing drivers for PowerVR anyway on iPhone and iPad.

That Alex is not B3D's Alex, despite the spookily similar names!

From that PR,
PowerVR ray tracing (RTU): ultra-realistic graphics technologies which are transforming ray tracing for professionals thanks to the Caustic R2500/R2100 PCIe boards and Caustic Visualizer software plug-ins

Interesting. Let's hope there will be more details released around that time. May be Apple will even license it....

What is "ultra-realistic" graphics? How do I differentiate "ultra-realistic" graphics from merely "super-realistic" graphics...?

PR shit. Don't you love it or what!

Imagination has been providing a lot of tidbits of info regarding their current ray tracing products, and the current focus is clearly on accelerating a real-time ray traced viewport for the tools used by the professional CG market segements.

What is "ultra-realistic" graphics? How do I differentiate "ultra-realistic" graphics from merely "super-realistic" graphics...?

PR shit. Don't you love it or what!

Well, I do ; )

Wait til you hear about our hyper-real graphics.

David Harold
Director of PR
Imagination Technologies

Imagination has been providing a lot of tidbits of info regarding their current ray tracing products, and the current focus is clearly on accelerating a real-time ray traced viewport for the tools used by the professional CG market segements.

All I have seen is slides promising graphical heaven. Zero product details, zero business details and zero architectural details. May be something will change at CES 2013.

2-4x faster than CPU tracing gets you to GPU tracing speeds. And a GPU is a LOT faster at shading as well. Of course a GPU is much bigger, so their architecture seems good. But as a product, it seems like it might be better to put in a GPU vs an RTU for ray tracing

It does 80M incoherent rays/sec for a moderate sized chip. Scaling down to mobile, which is it's only hope for consumer adoption, it probably won't do enough to justify it's inclusion in an SoC.

Back