PowerVR Series 6 now official

roninja

Regular
http://www.imgtec.com/corporate/newsdetail.asp?NewsID=576

"The Group continues to see growing engagements and commitments to both mature and the very latest POWERVR SGX cores, including several key market players. In addition, we have clear indications from several partners that our next generation graphics technology, POWERVR Series6, will maintain our technological edge over our competition. This latest generation will take advantage of our ecosystem which is the largest and fastest growing in the embedded and mobile graphics space. We already have multiple lead partners, who have selected this next generation technology and are working closely with us."

No longer next generation BUT LATEST generation, so more detailed news is probably round the corner. I'd expect the usual suspects as lead licencees...Intel, Apple, TI, Renesas etc

Pardon the question, but what is so exciting about that announcement exactly? They've had with all generations early adopters before each was officially announced. Gimme some technical details in a final announcement to scratch my head over until I understand at least half of it and I'll be all game :LOL:

On a less relevant note it seems the PURE division is catering for quite a sizable revenue compared to IP revenue. It will be interesting to see whether a possible further growth of the PURE division will lead the company for some serious strategic changes for the less foreseeable future ;)

http://www.imgtec.com/News/Release/index.asp?NewsID=585

In the tradition of earlier POWERVR families the next generation POWERVR Series6 graphics architecture, code named ‘Rogue’, will continue to drive the market by delivering the best industry metrics in performance per mm2 and performance per mW. This technology has already been selected by multiple tier one partners, with more engagements in the pipeline. Details of next generation POWERVR Series6 technology will be announced in due course.

Nothing useful to see apart from the code name.

It doesn't come as a surprise to me at least when you consider when Series5 XT was announced exactly.

I'm not surprised, but good to know that its on track, and actually in full Soc implementation chip.

For crying out loud.. I hope they release ANY details about it before hyping it even more.

I don't think their clients fall that easily for hype as an average consumer would. Them having already a number of closed deals for S6 doesn't suggest that they actually need any fancy hype in the media. I guess they'll keep it as long as they can under wraps probably not to hurt S5 XT sales from one side and on the other hand to have as little public information about it as they can to keep the competition as much as possible in the dark.

I'm tired of reading meaningless stuff over and over again too, but that doesn't mean that I can't understand their possible strategy behind it.

I'm sure the people they've closed deals with know details and that these press releases are pretty meaningless. I can't see what they're really accomplishing.

it be great if they got thier asses back into the desktop market. it be nice to have 3 players again

A typical progress update from the company was the purpose of the PR.

A lot of time and movement in the share price had elapsed since their last update, and the 400M unit milestone made an appropriate occasion. The highlight was revealing that Series5XT was on schedule, although finishing the design stage only late last year will make some of those mid-2011 product launches a little tight.

I'm sure the people they've closed deals with know details and that these press releases are pretty meaningless. I can't see what they're really accomplishing.

Do you see anyone else in the market reveal any details early in the pipeline? In fact I'd say that all the secrecy is also a demand of their partners up to some stage. Irrelevant to that we've also seen funky ppt presentations from NV showing T3 being X times faster than the current one as a simple example. Does it reveal any critical details?

it be great if they got thier asses back into the desktop market. it be nice to have 3 players again

Not coming any time soon. They've done it more than once and IP licensing in the desktop space just doesn't make sense.

Do you see anyone else in the market reveal any details early in the pipeline? In fact I'd say that all the secrecy is also a demand of their partners up to some stage. Irrelevant to that we've also seen funky ppt presentations from NV showing T3 being X times faster than the current one as a simple example. Does it reveal any critical details?

I haven't seen these presentations from nVidia, but at least saying it's X times faster is saying something. These press releases from IMG aren't saying a single thing. I'd rather they just said nothing. Maybe I'm out of touch but I don't really see that many details announced of "this product is coming out, here's nothing about it", especially when they talk about all these design wins.

I'm just asking what this really accomplishes. Are potential clients really interested by these press releases?

This is meant for industry observers and current and potential shareholders and is their first press release ever mentioning Series6; the other couple mentions were snippets from financial filings and interim corporate releases where they updated the status of their R&D.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I need a new sig, the highlighted R was for Rogue! :p

I haven't seen these presentations from nVidia, but at least saying it's X times faster is saying something.

About the entire SoC? Good luck guessing out of that what might have changed on the GPU level. NV is selling entire SoCs as a fabless semiconductor manufacturer.

These press releases from IMG aren't saying a single thing. I'd rather they just said nothing. Maybe I'm out of touch but I don't really see that many details announced of "this product is coming out, here's nothing about it", especially when they talk about all these design wins.

I'm just asking what this really accomplishes. Are potential clients really interested by these press releases?
It's the very same as when they announce a license agreement and don't name the licensee. Did you know that they're forced by law to make an announcement or a press release in any of those cases because they're a public company?

See also Lazy8s' post above. It's not really a coincidence.

I guess I need a new sig, the highlighted R was for Rogue! :p

The fact that it starts with an R is hardly a coincidence *ys.

About the entire SoC? Good luck guessing out of that what might have changed on the GPU level. NV is selling entire SoCs as a fabless semiconductor manufacturer.

Granted, but has there even been anything resembling an official announcement for Tegra 3?

It's the very same as when they announce a license agreement and don't name the licensee. Did you know that they're forced by law to make an announcement or a press release in any of those cases because they're a public company?

No, I didn't know that.

Granted, but has there even been anything resembling an official announcement for Tegra 3?

I don't see anything in IMG's press release that resembles an announcement. Of course has NV mentioned at multiple occasions some non-telling details about T3 and even a projection for T4.

http://erawdrah-specification.blogspot.com/2010/09/nvidia-tegra-3-almost-finished-nvidia.html

http://www.netbooknews.com/10374/nvidia-tegra-3-to-have-quad-core-cortex-a9-cpu-and-cuda-gpu/

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=25952

In fact I'm bored to post all the above relevant links and add some of the past too. It's typical from IHVs to see such announcements. A resemblance in the standalone GPU space would be NV throwing hints around about next generation Kepler and uber-next generation Maxwell. Wow I know two code-names, I'm therefore a few miles wiser now :rolleyes:

No, I didn't know that.
It's the major reason why they announce anything as a company even if they want to fart.

"IMG is proud to announce that they've digital fart IP ready for licensing...."

Back