Samsung Orion SoC - dual-core A9 + "5 times the 3D graphics performance"

I just talked to a few people who are benchmarking the SGS2. The 3DMark Mobile scores are....quite impressive. Particularly the Taiji scene where OMAP4 (G2X) scored 8 fps, the SGS2 gets 43 fps.

I think the OMAP4 platform has problems then, since S5PC110 can go faster than that. What's a G2X?

I have a hard time with acronyms :)

SGS2 is Samsung Galaxy S2 using Samsung Orion (Mali400MP)
G2x is T-mobile made by LG using Tegra2

Is this correct?

If I'm right I don't understand the reference to OMAP4.

I have a hard time with acronyms :)

SGS2 is Samsung Galaxy S2 using Samsung Orion (Mali400MP)
G2x is T-mobile made by LG using Tegra2

Is this correct?

If I'm right I don't understand the reference to OMAP4.

Yes, it was the G2X. I was mistaken about the chipset inside; it's Tegra 2, not OMAP4.

Is there something wrong with my memory or have the GLBenchmark2.0 scores for Hardkernel ODROID A dropped?

And the Galaxy S2's went up. Interesting.

As far as the rebranding for the major US carriers:

Optimus 2X = T-Mobile G2x (Tegra 2)
Optimus 3D = AT&T's Thrill 4G (OMAP4)

And the Galaxy S2's went up. Interesting.

Ok so my memory isn't playing any tricks on me. I recall the Odroid A being somewhere in the 4400 frames league (give or take) at 1360*768 and the Exynos smart-phone in the 5500 league at 800*600. First decreased while the latter increased.

I think with GLbenchmark in general, as many of the results are "community upload", you will always have big inconsistancies, as you have no idea how many multi-tasks were going on at the time etc.Also its not out of the question that the new and old odroid-A results were with different drivers or indeed with different frequencies given that the platform is a development one.

Similarly, with android based devices, people might root them and install various Oses and under/over clock, or indeed just totally change the device name that gets reported back to try to be "clever".

One just has to look at the "unprocessed results" to see all sorts of strangely named devices, the site seems to clear out all the clearly bogus ones from time to time.

Its also not inconceivable that handset providers/graphics IP providers might do customised drivers, that never get released due to instability, just so they can get an improved benchmark.

One might be best to only reference the "team tested" results which might have a bit more integrity and are likely to have been acheived using a retail device. Or indeed the apple results which have limited and very well defined OS updates (and even then you have the jailbreak issue and possibly people faking device names).

Sure - except that the "team tested" results don't seem to include any ARM Mali based products at all.

At this time, thats probably a fair indication of the retail experience (with the exception of the GS2), in that Mali has not made it into major brands that the team thought significant to test ? I imagine it shouldn't be too long before they'd formally test GS2.

Mind you maybe they've just totally stopped doing "team tests" and left it to the community, which would be dissapointing.

I see the first proper "GL benchmark team tested" result has been posted for the galaxy S2, with a score of 4582. One assumes this is with an over the counter unmodified phone,set up in a reference state.

It is in contrast to the results being uploaded by the "community" which were hitting over 6600. Overclocked processor and/or drivers optimised for the test spring to mind as possible reasons.

The comparison with the google Nexus S (the only official results for the S5PC110 chip) are interesting, and I've included the ipad2 as well.

http://www.glbenchmark.com/compare....D2=Samsung GT-i9100 Galaxy S2&D3=Apple iPad 2

I see the first proper "GL benchmark team tested" result has been posted for the galaxy S2, with a score of 4582. One assumes this is with an over the counter unmodified phone,set up in a reference state.

It is in contrast to the results being uploaded by the "community" which were hitting over 6600. Overclocked processor and/or drivers optimised for the test spring to mind as possible reasons.

The comparison with the google Nexus S (the only official results for the S5PC110 chip) are interesting, and I've included the ipad2 as well.

http://www.glbenchmark.com/compare....D2=Samsung GT-i9100 Galaxy S2&D3=Apple iPad 2

Finally, some reliable results. I was getting sick with all those results achieved with modified rom's and driver's.
I hope that now they'll benchmark HTC sensation so we could compare them both on stock ROM's.

Finally, some reliable results. I was getting sick with all those results achieved with modified rom's and driver's.
I hope that now they'll benchmark HTC sensation so we could compare them both on stock ROM's.

Blah IMG really needs to get its MP drivers in better shape. Albeit not yet team tested the Motorola Droid3 (SGX540@307MHz) gets over 3k frames in 960*540.

Are those benchmarks normalized for the differences in resolution?

Google Nexus and Samsung Galaxy SII run at 800*480, while the Apple iPad2 at 1024*768.

That Galaxy S2 score is still very competitive with most other competition, and the marks it's gotten on other relevant benchmarks around support that.

That Galaxy S2 score is still very competitive with most other competition, and the marks it's gotten on other relevant benchmarks around support that.

Well 4 fragment cores and 4 TMUs are nothing to sneeze over even if the frequency isn't as high as many of us expected.

Don't forget that GLBench2.0 is hitting VSync limits, you really need the offscreen test to be run in order to compare results...

The GLBenchmark Team retested Exynos and verified its very high Community results.

The mobile market is ripe for some high-end games pushing more geometry and heavier shading now, and a clearer picture of how all of these SoCs stack up would then be possible if the game dev included some benchmarking modes.

Apple's A5 would have more room to push forward, and Exynos obviously wouldn't remain capped either.

A 2.5 version of GLBenchmark, which should be all new content, is on its way to lift the cap.

I imagine it'll fall closer to the complexity of the proposed 3.0 version than the 2.0 release... perhaps Kishonti will add more to GLBenchmark 3.0 now before release.

Back