pigs will fly Duke Nukem Forever

argor

Newcomer
pigs will fly :LOL::p;)
from http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...h-consoles-and-pc.ars?comments=1#comments-bar
The news of an upcoming announcement at PAX, followed by a tweet that showed the image of a flying pig. These were the hints pointed at a momentous occasion in gaming history: Duke Nukem Forever will see release late this year, or maybe next year, on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. Gearbox Software will be taking over development from the now-defunct 3D Realms.

After the studio's closing, litigation began between 3D Realms and Take-Two Interactive, the publisher of Duke Nukem Forever. According to the Wall Street Journal, the suits have now been settled and neither side was willing to discuss terms. The game has not sat still, however:

According to Pitchford, Gearbox began finishing “Duke Nukem Forever” in late 2009. “Clearly the game hadn’t been finished at 3D Realms but a lot of content had been created,” he says. “The approach and investment and process at 3D Realms didn’t quite make it and it cracked at the end. With Gearbox Software we brought all those pieces together. It’s the game it was meant to be.”

The game is actually playable at PAX, for both the press and the general public. If you're there and you get to play, send in your report. We'd love to hear what it's like to finally put your hands on it.

If the release slips into 2011, we won't exactly be shocked.

I think that's great. If gearbox can bring their same sort of humor and gameplay to DNF as they did to Borderlands, it'll be a huge success. I can't think of a better company to finish the game.

For the longest time, I seriously thought DNF was a long running industry practical joke. I'm not kidding at all. It seemed the only logical explanation.

In fact, I'm still not COMPLETELY convinced it's real until I see it on store shelves :LOL: Somehow offscreen shakycam of some generic game isn't totally convincing.

Anyways, I have no interest in this at all. The whole inside joke as game thing has zero appeal to me.

I still won't believe it until it's on store shelves in purchasable final retail form.

Lol looking forward t ohearing all the onliners by Duke. Even if games turn out to be average I'll still buy it, hell it's what I would burn off one night at the pub.. or strip club. :)

I think that's great. If gearbox can bring their same sort of humor and gameplay to DNF as they did to Borderlands, it'll be a huge success. I can't think of a better company to finish the game.

When I read that DNF was coming out next year I thought my eyes were playing a cruel joke on me.But after seeing real gameplay from the PAX event and I'm honestly very excited after wawtching those videos..2011 is shaping up to be a great gaming year with games like Mortal Kombat 9, Dead Space 2, Gears of War 3, Killzone 3, Twisted Metal, DNF, etc..

All Hail The King Baby.... :oops::cool::D

What's the betting it'll be one of the lousiest games of all time? Generally the longer a delayed product is in creation, the worse it is, and nothing been delayed longer than DNF.

All you haters must not have played Borderlands, or if you did, you played it on an inferior network like PSN or open space like the PC.

Take2 owns the rights, owns all the assets and gave it to Gearbox in order to put it together and make a cohesive experience. And they are just the team to do it.

I know there's going to be haters out there because no matter how good the game actually is, there's no way it will be good enough for a two decade long development cycle.

But I fully expect this game to be awesome and a lot of fun.

Will it have the best graphics? No, of course not. But then again, when was Duke Nukem ever about graphics?

Chill, man! I don't see any haters here. How can anyone be a hater of a product that hasn't even been revealed yet?! However, it is a pretty universal truth that games that get delayed and delayed and switch platforms and delayed again, etc., tend not to live up to the hype. So really, not expecting the greatest game every, worth 20 years in development, isn't a particular hostile stance to get upset over.

For me, it really doesn't matter if it's "good" or not. I'll play it out of morbid curiousity if nothing else. Plus it would be funny and ironic if it turned out to be financially successful.

As Rancid says, Gearbox is a good choice to finish it. They're pretty current in what makes a fun an interesting game, unlike some devs who seem really out of touch with current tastes and expectations.

I think it'll be fun. There was an article I read about DNF a few months ago where it explained that they would have really great gameplay ideas that worked well in practice but then they would keep adding stuff to it and perfecting everything and then sometimes scrapping the ideas if there was any tiny little issue. I guess they wanted to aim high enough to justify the development cycle and that put them in eternal limbo, I hope that Gearbox can take what's left and salvage it into an above average or maybe even a great shooter.

It'll be interesting to see how T2 markets it. Duke isn't really popular anymore outside of the hardcore and the graphics might be a little rough.

Back