PS3 Native 1080p Games

PinotNut

Newcomer
My request is simple: Where can I find an UP-TO-DATE listing of PS3 Games that are in native 1080p? Not upscaled. But created for displaying in 1080p. I bought a PS3 because it is supposedly the only game console that can actually show 1080p since it is based on the Blu-Ray disc. I have a true 1080p display, the best and fastest HDMI cables.
Everytime I Google "PS3 native 1080p" I get hits from 2008 or earlier. Even this forum, when I try to post a new thread, displays "Here are similar threads you might want to read first" and then the latest thread is dated 2008. I can't look on every PS3 game box. Even then they seem to list 1080p if the game can even be seen on a 1080p display. It is usually upscaled to 1080p. When a new game is hyped and scheduled to come out soon, I can't find any info detailed enough to discover what it's native resolution is, so it's tough to preorder any game. (ex: the new Star Wars game coming out in Oct.) Am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks for any advice.

be aware some games that advertise 1080p etc arent in fact true 1080p
which is 1920x1080p, but with reduced horizontal resolution eg I think GT5p is 1440x1080. Thus deception

My request is simple: Where can I find an UP-TO-DATE listing of PS3 Games that are in native 1080p? Not upscaled. But created for displaying in 1080p. I bought a PS3 because it is supposedly the only game console that can actually show 1080p since it is based on the Blu-Ray disc. I have a true 1080p display, the best and fastest HDMI cables.
Everytime I Google "PS3 native 1080p" I get hits from 2008 or earlier. Even this forum, when I try to post a new thread, displays "Here are similar threads you might want to read first" and then the latest thread is dated 2008. I can't look on every PS3 game box. Even then they seem to list 1080p if the game can even be seen on a 1080p display. It is usually upscaled to 1080p. When a new game is hyped and scheduled to come out soon, I can't find any info detailed enough to discover what it's native resolution is, so it's tough to preorder any game. (ex: the new Star Wars game coming out in Oct.) Am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks for any advice.

This is the only thread I know for checking resolution:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

These days, developers are going for 720p or subHD with more effects. Sony is trying for stereoscopic 3D.

which is 1920x1080p, but with reduced horizontal resolution eg I think GT5p is 1440x1080. Thus deception

According to here:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-gt5-time-trial-blog-entry

It's 1280 x 1080.

My request is simple: Where can I find an UP-TO-DATE listing of PS3 Games that are in native 1080p? Not upscaled. But created for displaying in 1080p. I bought a PS3 because it is supposedly the only game console that can actually show 1080p since it is based on the Blu-Ray disc.
As Tap In says, XB360 can also output 1080p. 1080p games are mostly limited to 2D style, like Pixel Junk Monsters. 3D at 1080p is too taxing on the whole, and few devs will make the visual sacrifices to enable higher resolutions that aren't enough to make significant difference to most users. Super Stardust in one that's received an upgrade as a byproduct of the optimisations the developers made to enable stereoscopic rendering. 1080p is more for HD movies at the moment. The shocking truth is a lot of games don't even render as high as 720p visuals, upscaling lower resolutions!

It's also worth noting that the fastest, bestest HDMI cables are a con-job. Digital signals gain no improvement in quality - they work or they don't. And when they don't work, you lose the whole puicture and not just introduce a bit of noise like analogue cables. Most on this board using HDMI are using the cheapest cables we could source. Very expensive cables are legalised fraud.

Sometimes the truth is in the middle. Sometimes even quite literally. For instance, Wipeout HD does 1080p, but will scale the 1920 part down to as little as 960 when things get hectic on screen, but will happily run full 1920x1080p most of the time. Gran Turismo 5 is 1280x1080p most of the time during gameplay, but in all other bits its full 1920x1080p.

(Note also that even 1280x1080p is still 50% more than 1280x720p of course)

Stardust is a good example of a game running 1920x1080p at 60fps, and thanks to optimisations for 3D does that now also in split screen mode. There are some sports games that reach these resolutions as well. MLB The Show 09 (and I presume 10 as well?) is also 1920x1080p at 60fps.

(And yes, quite a few 2D games support 1080p natively)

There's no denying though that 1080p has proven not to be the most optimal resolution for many games. Balancing out all the various bottlenecks has resulted in that for many types of games, rendering at 1280x720p is the sweet spot when it comes to the overall picture quality (and on rare occasions, as Shifty pointed out, even below that, though personally I'm finding that to be more the exception than the rule). PS3 flagship titles that are considered graphical showcases like God of War 3 and Uncharted 2 are good examples of this, both using 720p.

But if you're looking at stuff to give your TV's native resolution a workout, then yes, Super Stardust, Wipeout HD, and MLB The Show 10 are good places to look. But then just for the fun of it try God of War 3 (not the demo!) and Uncharted 2 and see if you like those graphics better or worse. ;)

If you are only interested in playing native 1080p games then you shouldnt be playing on consoles as there is only a handful of native 1080p games on the PS3 and 360 combined.

You should perhaps invest in a gaming pc.

Yay ! My crysis runs on Native 1080p, so does Mafia 2 (demo), GTA4, Half Life 2,ep 1,ep2,portal, TF2, COD4, GeOW, fallout3, NFS Shift,...........and the list goes on and on and on :cool: !
But all this runs on my PC ! even me, just like u , wanted to see native 1080p games when I got a full HD display, but I think the only thing that really makes you enjoy full HD are the XMB themes with their tull HD wallpapers, some 2D games and movies ! For the rest , there's my PC ! heck, even Resident Evil 5 runs at full HD on my PC :D !

Get a life, Get a PC ! :cool: !

Is there all that much difference between native 1080p games and upscaled 720p? Anyone done any comparisons?
Depends on screen size, viewing distance, viewers eyesight, upscaling method (TV or console and is it any good), and game content. Lots of fog and DOF blur for example, and you're not going to see the advantages, just as a lot of HD movies don't appear better than their SD counterparts, because during filming there's a degree of blur from motion and DOF.

I'll just add that I tried the Torchlight demo on my laptop and switched it to 1024x768 to get a better framerate on the Intel integrated graphics, and expecting something of a mess on my 1680x1050 monitor, it actually looked surprisingly smooth, such that I couldn't tell much of a difference with 1680x1050 except in UI elements.

Thus the great HD debate continues, and we have valid arguments suggesting rendering in SD res and using the graphical horsepower to add better effects is the better approach.

Digital signals gain no improvement in quality - they work or they don't. And when they don't work, you lose the whole puicture and not just introduce a bit of noise like analogue cables.

Does this apply to HDMI though? It's not compressed is it, I thought that it was a simple raw stream of bits for each pixel, and there is no error checking involved? Each frame also doesn't depend on previous ones as it does in DVD/BD/Broadcast. I can see how noise could bugger up the HDCP handshake, but the picture as well? Surely noise could change a red pixel to a pink one for example? Maybe I'm not quite understanding how it works though.

If you are only interested in playing native 1080p games then you shouldnt be playing on consoles as there is only a handful of native 1080p games on the PS3 and 360 combined.

You should perhaps invest in a gaming pc.
There are only a handful of native 1080p games on the 360 (about 5 or 6). There are dozens on the PS3 (around 30 or so). Now, native 1080p games at 60fps is another story.

Does this apply to HDMI though? It's not compressed is it, I thought that it was a simple raw stream of bits for each pixel, and there is no error checking involved?
A cable carries a signal with an amplitude. Noise works to change the amplitude of a signal. In analogue broadcasts, the amplitude carries the intensity information, so if you send a value of 0.5 and you get some noise of +0.1, the signal reports intensity of 0.6. This adds static noise to analogue TV and you can see it progresses in severity. In a digital broadcast, the signal is broken into on/off values, with any amplitude under 0.5 as OFF (zero) and anything above as ON (one). This means you can't affect the setting with any noise unless you get really noisy. 20% signal noise could change a value of 0.0 to 0.2, which would still be a zero, and change 1.0 to 0.8, which would still be a 1. eg. If we want to send an RGB value of (128, 212, 81), that is changed to a binary stream of 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1. If that runs along a very noisy line of +/- 30%, the values received may be something link 0.7, 0.2, 0.25, 0.1, 0.3, 0.26, 0.16, 0.29, 0.81, 0.93, 0.19, 0.76, etc., which would be converted to digital bits as 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0...

You would need incredibly bad noise to signal to get as much damage to cause a bit to change, and in those conditions the end result would be complete randomisation of the signal and just noise. I suppose in theory a cable could get the occassional spike to cause a single bit change, but we all know using PCs long enough that doesn't happen. You don't get spontaneous pixel errors between frames. My display isn't crawling with shimmering dots. I've never yet seen a single pixel twitch due to a rogue bit!

Lucid_Dreamer; said:
There are only a handful of native 1080p games on the 360 (about 5 or 6). There are dozens on the PS3 (around 30 or so). Now, native 1080p games at 60fps is another story.

Only if you include simple PSN games though.

If one counts the simple PSN games that support 1080p, but as far as full fledged titles supporting 1080p they are few and far between on both systems.

-already stated

Only if you include simple PSN games though.

If one counts the simple PSN games that support 1080p, but as far as full fledged titles supporting 1080p they are few and far between on both systems.

-already stated
I didn't realize we were segregating games now. Some PSN games are as deep as those early disc based "full fledged" games. In that case, there are no "full fledged" native 1080p games on the 360 that aren't on the PS3. The opposite isn't true.

I didn't realize we were segregating games now. Some PSN games are as deep as those early disc based "full fledged" games.
And are they 1080p? The distinction is being made because PSN titles include simpler games with simpler visuals, often 2D, and these have an easier time of rendering at 1080p. Disc games are all visually more sophisticated and 1080p becomes harder to pull off.

I didn't realize we were segregating games now. Some PSN games are as deep as those early disc based "full fledged" games. In that case, there are no "full fledged" native 1080p games on the 360 that aren't on the PS3. The opposite isn't true.

Really? "fully fledged"? As in 1920x1080? I had thought that all the "1080p" games that were on PS3 but weren't on X360 (disc based) were something with horizontal scaling. 1280x1080, for example. Sure, they might pop into 1920x1080 for certain things, but I wouldn't consider it "fully fledged" if it's only doing full 1080p part of the time.

Regards,
SB

And are they 1080p? The distinction is being made because PSN titles include simpler games with simpler visuals, often 2D, and these have an easier time of rendering at 1080p. Disc games are all visually more sophisticated and 1080p becomes harder to pull off.

Really? "fully fledged"? As in 1920x1080? I had thought that all the "1080p" games that were on PS3 but weren't on X360 (disc based) were something with horizontal scaling. 1280x1080, for example. Sure, they might pop into 1920x1080 for certain things, but I wouldn't consider it "fully fledged" if it's only doing full 1080p part of the time.

Regards,
SB
It might be time for a few people to pop on over to the resolution thread and find out how many native 1080p (as in 1920x1080) "disc based/fully fledged" games are on PS3. Then, find out how many there are on 360 that are not on the PS3. Looking at games that are halfway between full 720p and 1080p and above; the volume, on the PS3 side, goes up a good bit. The 360's volume doesn't increase at all, in that situation.

This is not really something to argue against. It just is.

Back