Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Core extreme 29xx

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • AMD instead, go Bulldozer

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
I need a new MB for an AM2+ phenomII CPU. Is it possible to swap the MB without reinstalling/deactivating Windows Vista? It's an OEM machine and I don't have an install disc.

Sorry to hijack the thread. To the OP, I'd say "wait for 8". Too much is never enough!

Nobody actually voted for the 8 core sandy bridge, so maybe I should indeed go with the 2600k then and do the whole motherboard switcharoo again when going 8 core maybe a couple years later...

is the i72600k the same as the normal i7's eg: i7 920
if so they are only 15% faster than the quad's at the same clock speed thats a lot of money for very little bang imho (cpu, mboard, ddr3)

I need a new MB for an AM2+ phenomII CPU. Is it possible to swap the MB without reinstalling/deactivating Windows Vista? It's an OEM machine and I don't have an install disc.

Sorry to hijack the thread. To the OP, I'd say "wait for 8". Too much is never enough!

It shouldn't trigger the activation, but if it does, a simple phone call will get it activated. I've had to re-activate my OEM install a couple times.

Regards,
SB

I currently have to send them a picture of my product key because they think my XP is an illegal copy, so it might not be that easy. (I activated via phone a couple of times too.)
Luckily US law doesn't apply here.

Microsoft wants you to use an OEM license on only one hardware configuration (theoretically no change allowed at all). For example I did change the whole PC in small steps due to various reasons - i.e. normal PC usage.
I think in USA and Canada they are able to enforce this clause while in the rest of the world it's against the law (in Europe at least).
Btw. after all they did send me a new product key.

Naw, it's not enforced unless you answer that you have installed it on more than one computer when the automated phone system asks you. :) For example, if you, in theory, retired the computer it was originally activated on and installed it on a new computer. As long as you say it's only ever been installed on one computer, there's no problem.

I've had to reactivate my OEM copy of Win7 twice now.

There might be a chance they'd do something if "everything" changed within a very short period of time.

Regards,
SB

Re-activated my copy of Win7 about 7 times, maybe more.

Reason? Constant swapping of gfx card, issue with network controller and extra USB ports added.

Bloody nuisance it was... this was a retail copy by the way of Windows 7 Home Premium.

I have been doing the opposite of Mendel and been steadily downgrading my system.

Currently a Sempron with 2nd core activated, 4GB of Ballistix DDR2 800 memory.

Sold the Radeon HD 4870 512MB today, changed platforms from an Intel Core 2 Duo to integrated gfx AM3 system and managed to get that free Sempron when upgrading a friends PC.

Next on the list for the downgrade is 2x 2GB Ballistix memory, need to make back what I paid for it ages ago at least and will use a 2GB Kingston stick instead.

System will then be used for the kids PC and some HD content occassionally.

Reason for this madness? Recent purchase of an Xbox 360 Arcade for very little and my PS3 is hopefully on its way soon too.

Damn consoles...

I have a similar PC : athlon X2 with 2GB memory and a 8400GS (downgraded from a 7600GT to reduice noise and have an old-style VGA port). will get one or two 1GB sticks added.

the reason? I mostly use a PC for reading text those days :), ssh connection to a server where an IRC client session is persistently running, watching and listening to stuff.
and a quick gaming session is usually high IQ quake3 or UT against bots, or even high res software-rendered doom 2 with kick ass, free midi synthesis. though it would get some wider range of gaming fun with a graphics card - I may look towards a geforce GT430.

It will be converted to running an ubuntu or debian variant eventually. I plan to have a low power server as a web, ssh, ftp etc. entry point and remotely wake the bigger computer up when needed, and use its command line or desktop remotely when not at home or when in a public place.

Also renting something, whether rack space or a machine or a VM in a datacenter, and having some real or actual backups.

essentially I've been losing interest in fast and big hardware, as that Athlon II X2 CPU is so immensely powerful already :p and its stock cooler runs silent.
the next expenses will be so that my data is reliable and universally accessible - maybe running another PC as a software-based SAN and another PC as a hardware firewall.

the first work chair that supports both your mind and your body. Loaded with health benefits, Embody fits your form and reduces seated pressure to increase blood circulation, improve the flow of oxygen and even decrease your heart rate! With its streamlined back, your arms move free, encouraging more air movement into the lungs to feed your brain.

I'm a sceptic. That thing is ringing my total bullshit bells all the way :D

drop a $150 q9550 and clock it up to 3.8ghz to 4.2ghz and enjoy for now and wait till the next of next year to see whats up.

I'm going to wait for bulldozer before moving from my platform. I don't really notice a problem with my q9550 at 3.8ghz and 5850.

drop a $150 q9550 and clock it up to 3.8ghz to 4.2ghz and enjoy for now and wait till the next of next year to see whats up.
$150 for q9550 is way too expensive. I just got a i5-2300 for $180. That's 2 generations newer. Granted I am not a performance user and it's only for accelerating some badly unoptimized flash video that doesn't use GPU...

Back