Moving to germany

Cheezdoodles

+ 1
Veteran
Im finishing my masters degree at Mannheim university, moving on tuesday.

Wondering if there is anything in particular that people should experience in germany, aside from the Nürburgring?

Yes, he's not kidding ... he's referring to Oktoberfesten I think. ;)

There's lots of great stuff to do and see in Germany. It probably helps if you mark out your areas of interest. ;)

My interests: alcohol parties ladies cars snowboarding soccer

We have total excess of those things in Germany (though for Snowboarding you will probably prefer Austria and Switzerland), so you'll find that everywhere. Mannheim itself is not bad either, lots of stuff going on there all the time, parties, concerts, blah.

You will hate the weather in Germany though. It is like the usual cliche people have about UK, all rainy, cold, and gray most of the year. The last few years had like mere three weeks of summer and six months winter on average.

You will hate the weather in Germany though. It is like the usual cliche people have about UK, all rainy, cold, and gray most of the year. The last few years had like mere three weeks of summer and six months winter on average.
I must have been lucky - my few visits to Germany have usually had good weather and it was extremely good for HPG/EGSR at Saarbrucken this year.

Didn't some bank hired you recently? What made you go back to studies, or do you have some work related stuff going on there aswell?

Yup. I was hired in january, but was still working on my masters along with the job.

When the oppurtunity to go to mannheim to finish my masters arised, my boss, and also the boss for the entire bank wanted me to take a leave of absence as they both took their education there and think its the best business school in the world.

I dunno about that, but its certainly the best looking one. The schloss (spelling?) is amazing, you dont realize how big it is until your there.

Been here for 10 days now, 1 rainy day, all sun the rest. So far i like it, but alcohol here is to cheap. Dangerously cheap. Beer is cheaper than water. And in student parties, a beer costs about the same as the cheapest 0.33 litre i can buy in norway at the store!

Going to check out heidelberg today, and on sunday, the world largest winefestival.

Edit: holy crap cars are cheap here. 2004 Maserati 400hp, 55' km. 17k euros? Or similarly aged SL500's with low milage for 5k more. This is like 1\4th of the price in norway. interesting. XXX im guessing if i wanna buy a merc here i should go to stuttgard?

Last edited by a moderator:
Xxx, you and Cheezdoodles should hook up for an afternoon and discuss business economics and politics over a beer or two... :devilish:

That would work for partying and normal stuff, but not for any "sensitive" topics like economy or politics, obviously :)

Think im gonna jump on the 295 € to be a co pilot with the track master around nurburgring in a Nissan GT-R =)

Probably gonna end up buying a lotus elise here, so might as well take it to the track :)

Back