Dungeon Siege III

I loved the original Dungeon Siege it was one of the games I played over and over. It had such a pretty aspect and great grinding mechanics. That probably accounted for as much of my time as Neverwinter Nights did...!

Ok, I put it back on my steam wishlist :) Prolly won't get it at full price as I still have a game backlog, but I'll get it at some point. I think I'd like to try Torchlight 2 first as well before getting DS3.

wow....I love this game!!! super great so far...nothing to complain!

gamepad support is perfect!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you still get a party of AI characters in DS3, or are you all alone by yourself?

Do you get a mule (who can return to town to sell all your loot for you? :D)

Joker I'm not sure about 3 but 1 and 2 were definitely deep enough with 20-30 hours of campaign before even considering the replayability.

Do you still get a party of AI characters in DS3, or are you all alone by yourself?

Do you get a mule (who can return to town to sell all your loot for you? :D)

I have one AI partner on my side, and in some rare instances further AI soldiers in a mission or so...AI partner is rather smart IMO and helps, even revives you when you die

Played online with a friend last night for two hours and had a blast. It's Diablo, not Dungeon Siege, but fun all the same. I appreciated the fact that online players have independent camera control and can independently go into the inventory, ability, and shop UI (the AI controls your character while you are in-menu). The final release also feels a bit more polished than the demo. I definitely want to get a 4-player game going this weekend.

Got this as a gift, and have only looked a little way (rescued first captive in cave) as I intend to play it as an online coop with a friend. But so far I'm not as enthusiastic as many here, and I'm somewhat disgusted at the bugs. Camera is a PITA, zooming in when there's scenery; being unable to see what's going on is bad form. A couple of times my characters been frozen to the spot or to a linear path for a moment. My healing spell has stopped working sometimes, where I try to fire it and it just doesn't activate (not in village). There are others I've forgotten. And that's after 1.01. Pity gamers who don't update their games over the internet this generation!

Combat's more involved than typical for these games, but 9 skills in total for each character is very weak and means little variety. The fighter seems exceptionally dull. The need to change stances and ergo weapons to activate certain skills also makes gameplay quite complex. eg. Switch to ranged stance to shoot, then to other stance to use spell, then back again to use second spell, then back again to use close attack. Add in blocking and it can all get a bit muddled. I can appreciate they wanted to make the game more involved than just button mashing, which is necessary for this genre, but I think they went way too far in the other direction. The stats are also a tad confusing. DPS is an excellent metric, but I don't see anywhere a base damage for spells/skills. How come my lighting bolt does 100 damage when Attack DPS is like 30 and Ability DPs is like 20? Is that because it takes 2 seconds to cast? I suppose that makes sense, and is a rather brutal analysis of how spells in these games work. Have a DPS coefficient used for all skills, with skills either consolidating into a big blast or spreading out the damage. Some stats are just a mystery though. What does a 10 in Chaos:Ice mean? 10% chance to activate? 10 out of some unknown probability to activate? Ten damage a second when it does activate? Are we supposed to be looking all this up online, as seems the norm these days. If so, certainly on PS3 and PC, add a link in game to jump to a website! Or just stick the website on disk.

Edit: Oh, and perhaps the worst aspect, is no checkpoint saves! You have to save manually, and as you may get caught unawares with a difficult encounter (camera splurges in a tight environment so you can't see squat) and there's no emergency instant-heal, you never know when you'll get killed, so you have to think about using a save point every time you come across one or risk losing a load of play. How did that idea ever get through QA and testing?!

There are some good ideas here, but it feels rough and well shy of BDGA. This gen I've now played Untold Legends, Sacred 2, Dungeon Hunter Alliance, Deathspank, Torchlight (on PC), and DSIII, and none of them can hold a candle to the PS2 games. DnD: Daggerdale reportedly isn't any better. Even visually, DSIII and the like haven't got such things as dynamic shadow-casting lights and dynamic water! They add HD and some nice shaders over Snowblind's PS2 games, but don't advance anything else, such that a ten year old PS2 game can be more technically impressive. Given SB themselves aren't making one of these dungeon crawlers, I guess the genre is in the doldrums. :(

I have to admit I am a little disappointed with DSIII, it just doesn't feel right when I'm playing it. I really loved the first one and was hoping to at least game the same ambiance but sadly that's not the case. The graphics are hit and miss, though mostly miss. The dialogue and character interactions feels contrived and adds nothing to the experience.

It's a worthy follow up to DSII but not a touch on DSI. Shame.

I picked this up during a rainy day on vacation last week, and have put about 10 hours into it. If you played either of the first 2 DS games, then this is virtually a must by for you. I was a sucker for them and this is a perfect console variation. Much as Shifty mentioned you have a different stance to attack 1-2 enemies and another stance to attack a group. I played through with the fighter, and found the stances a nice balance to combat. You have skills, USE THEM. I neglected some of that in the beginning and coming to some of the end battles, the tides could of changed if I had mastered some skills sooner.

Played about an hours worth of co-op and it was a blast as well. Need to play some more of that as well as play some other characters. There are some minor framerate issues.

One thing the game has it's LOOT and a hell of a LOT of loot. Really amped up the 'Just one more quest' factor for me.

Some of the weapon effects were surely never explained - Doom, Withering, etc... It's a pretty linear game, but there is enough side quests to keep you occupied as well. I did find some of the levels to looks pretty amazing, and others not so much.

Overall, easy justifiable purchase. I'm 10 hours in, played through the main quest with the Warrior, and I'm really looking forward to playing through with each of the other 3 characters in addition to playing more co-op.

What's interesting is that this game (DS3) seems to use PhysX but it is not mentioned at NVIDIA's site or on the game box.

I saw some cuda related files too, but it could just be PhysX libraries. Can anyone verify? GPU PhysX too?

Just completed the game, the final showdown is pretty tough even when you've skilled up madly. Definitely a step up from DS2 and the loot and grind element is perfectly balanced. The only thing that's annoying is the way in which the power levels of armour, weapons, etc seem to level off pretty quickly. Which, when you have as much loot as this game provides, makes choosing what's best a little hit and miss.

And, ironically, there are precious few dungeons to explore. I made it to the end with a 'Perfectionist' trophy which surprised me as I thought there would be more cave\dungeons\lairs to explore.

The game does slow down when there is a lot of action on screen which makes for some frustrating moments when you are trying to activate a skill or just move, as it takes more than one press of a button to be registered.

Other than that it's a great loot and grind game with a relatively engaging story line.

I've been playing this a lot more. and can replace my original review with a much more positive one. The combat is pretty involved beyond the usual of this ilk, and the focus of stats only on gear makes changing a 'build' quite possible. The attack and ability DPS stats work well too. Levelling is lacking impact though as there are no improvements to characters, only skills. And the skills are pretty limited. Plus you can't respec, so any experimentation is going to be permanent. I think the underlying engine concept is a good one and a good basis for future titles. I have to say though, the bugs really take the shine of this game. It's reasonably pretty if not particularly technically impressive, but frame rate is all over the place and not at all classy. The camera is a mess in many instances and the game shouldn't have been released with it as is. And there are unforgivable control bugs too, like attacking after releasing the block button causes a dodge forwards into the enemy instead of an attack.

Coop works well with 2 players when it isn't too busy, but on rare occasions the special effects can make it hard to follow what's going on. Stupidly, the camera is tied to both players even online, as if it were local coop. What an inane limitation! If you get separated and pushed back into opposite corners, you end up trapping each other. This also makes one wonder why local 3 and 4 player coop isn't supported - that'd have at least justified the choice. As it is, 3 player online coop was too hampered by the camera and players getting trapped to really work. Seriously devs, give it up! Stop gimping our games! you wouldn't to limit anyone's solo game by attaching bungie to their character and an NPC, so don't do likewise with multiplayer.

DS3 is worth getting/playing for any action RPG fan, but I could only stretch to a mediocre score. The tweaks that'd make it a far better experience are extremely simple ones and it's a damning indictment on modern gaming that games release with such faults.

Just completed the game, the final showdown is pretty tough even when you've skilled up madly. Definitely a step up from DS2 and the loot and grind element is perfectly balanced. The only thing that's annoying is the way in which the power levels of armour, weapons, etc seem to level off pretty quickly. Which, when you have as much loot as this game provides, makes choosing what's best a little hit and miss.

And, ironically, there are precious few dungeons to explore. I made it to the end with a 'Perfectionist' trophy which surprised me as I thought there would be more cave\dungeons\lairs to explore.

The game does slow down when there is a lot of action on screen which makes for some frustrating moments when you are trying to activate a skill or just move, as it takes more than one press of a button to be registered.

Other than that it's a great loot and grind game with a relatively engaging story line.

How did you beat the creator god boss? I found him to be extremely difficult and cheap.

I've found all the bosses badly designed at hardest difficulty. The rest of the game isn't too challenging, but the bosses are next to impossible two player on hardest mode. Too much going on, too little space, etc. They seems built around old-school play mechanics, of punishing the player repeatedly until he discovers the prescribed series of actions - hit twice, block, hit once, move back, rinse and repeat until the next variation, then do some other tricks. The more open battles (shaman boss in the swamp and Dapper Old Gent) are much fairer, but we've dropped difficulty level more than once for bosses.

How did you beat the creator god boss? I found him to be extremely difficult and cheap.

Basically you've just got to concentrate on the creator god. Ignore all the creatures it summons because if you try to fight them you'll soon get overrun and the creator god attacks will decimate you pretty quickly.

So when it's hand or head is on the ground hit it with everything you've got. And when it summons creatures etc just dodge around the screen until it re-absorbs them.

When I think about it the balance is just not there with the final fight. You need some form of ability that allows you to regenerate health (the archon's secondary stance and whatever was on the square button) as well as some form of long range attack that regenerates focus.

Back