UK Advertising Standards rule FF13 advert used PS3 images to "mislead" 360 owners

It's only a comparison of the FMV! Since when were FMV's compared to this level? You know those little bits of smallprint that accomodate TV adverts these days? They'll be whole pages by the end fo the year!

They must have checked Chapter 12. It's the only cutscene that stood out head and shoulder above the rest for me.

Is this a joke?

It is absolutely common to trick gamers with advertising...every multiplatform game in the world basically does this (for instance if PC is involved :yes:), and most of the exclusive games showing CGI stuff...or just look at the PS3 exclusive DLC MAFIA 2 pics and compare them to the actual PS3 demo :LOL:

EDIT: this is basically the same as when I once stand in McDonald's waiting for my food, when a kid ordered a burger pointing to the sign above...when he gets his burger, he was shocked and surprised, asking: " what, this is the burger from this ad??"

It is absolutely common to trick gamers with advertising...every multiplatform game in the world basically does this (for instance if PC is involved :yes:), and most of the exclusive games showing CGI stuff...or just look at the PS3 exclusive DLC MAFIA 2 pics and compare them to the actual PS3 demo
In the UK these days, there's smallprint shown at the bottom of ads saying, "not in game footage," and the like, which wasn't there at the beginning of the generation when CGI was shown simulating completely falsely the game experience. If the advert was for an XB360 version without mention of the PS3 version, it'd be right to assume it was XB360 footage being shown, and if it wasn't, I'd expect a little text saying, "PS3 version shown," although the difference is irrelevant.

Superb own goal there from Microsoft. Almost as good as taking a "hands off" approach to the FF13 port so it ended up being nasty.

Just like Square said forensic studying doesn't not equal typical viewing experience.

"A gaming expert yesterday warned the decision could hurt Microsoft, makers of the Xbox. ‘A ruling like this could prove devastating to sales of the Xbox, simply because gamers are a very demanding lot who expect the very best,’ said the anonymous expert."

Then why isn't the 360 killing the PS3 in European sales since in cross platform titles the 360 often gets the nod over the PS3 in terms of visual fidelty.

It's not so much the actual comparison as the negative press I was drawing attention to. The advert in question was bookended by Xbox logos and made no mention of the PS3. It has been Microsoft's policy to pay for crossplatform games to be advertised with just the Xbox logos, to suggest they are exclusives without actually saying it. In this case it has backfired spectacularly, judging by the headlines in the UK papers this morning.

FMV should be done with. No more FMV in games or to advertise games.

Eh, it serves it's purpose well and is entertaining. There is a certain level of fidelity that is simply not attainable with todays hardware, and SE wants to provide that detail. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using any of it for anything. Why? Because if you're not really smart enough to know it's not gameplay, then maybe you deserve the "gotcha!".

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/838359-ps3-sharper-than-xbox-rules-advertising-watchdog

One small mistake in their policy of advertising crossplatform games "as exclusive", but not good news for Microsoft having headlines like the one above in today's UK papers. Ironic that it's usually the other way around for crossplatform games :smile:

It's amazing how a terribly written headline can manage to portray something entirely different from the actual facts. One game, FMV. Truly shocking that they would sacrifice the quality of FMV on the 360, I would have preferred they release it on 12 discs.

It's amazing how a terribly written headline can manage to portray something entirely different from the actual facts. One game, FMV. Truly shocking that they would sacrifice the quality of FMV on the 360, I would have preferred they release it on 12 discs.

I'm pretty sure that Microsoft charges an extra fee if your game is over 3 discs. I think Square was just trying to save some money.

I'm pretty sure that Microsoft charges an extra fee if your game is over 3 discs. I think Square was just trying to save some money.

Sorry, I should have included /sarcasm at the end of that.

I'm perfectly fine with a law requiring all footage being tagged as which platform is being shown. The FF stuff (and other companies that like to advertise with FMV) should also be tagged as such.

It's weird to see one legacy form of advertising required to be truthful when the internet world at large has already switched to "anything goes", with certain spokespeople of certain development studios averaging at about one lie per sentence produced.

Back