[PS3] Resistance 3 [SPOILER ALERT - Contains R2 story discussion]

Wrapped it up last night. The final chapter was just mad and I have to admit it mainly consisted of me running around in a giant circle, trying to figure out what to do, whilst trying not to get stomped on. Gearing up for the second play through now, nice and slowly this time in order to take it all in.

I take it that the planet you see through the portal is the Chimera home world and, looking at the number of pieces it was breaking up into, the reason for their evacuation to earth?

Wrapped it up last night. The final chapter was just mad and I have to admit it mainly consisted of me running around in a giant circle, trying to figure out what to do, whilst trying not to get stomped on. Gearing up for the second play through now, nice and slowly this time in order to take it all in.

I take it that the planet you see through the portal is the Chimera home world and, looking at the number of pieces it was breaking up into, the reason for their evacuation to earth?

Spoilerish Bon 8(. Now i know i'm gonna be running around so giant arena trying not to get stomped on by some devlish fiend!

Perhaps ! The Chimeras may also be some sort of bio-weapons to wipe out human before the real aliens come.

Nathan Hale said he heard something (them), and they are beautiful before he was shot. 8^P

Well you see, the Chimera used to live on earth, that was until a point when they had to leave for some unknown reason. I assume they left the virus in some form in order for it to work as a backdoor for them to come back in future. Tbh I am kinda disappointed by the story, they had three games abd they barely gave any explaination about anything. R3's story is basically a man hell bent on doing something which woukd result in the destruction of chimera in some way cause he wants a goo future for his son. The whole idea of Malikov finding a way to defeat the chimera is useless as he gets killed and nothing is revealed about his plans, and just so it happens it takes our hero about 10 seconds to figure out how to defeat them...lets bring that terraformer down and boom ! Yea right.

They were too ambitious with R2. I actually like this one better. More coherent, despite some WTF moments.

Einstein came up with the solution to the first relativity theory over a casual banquet conversation. The real work took him a couple of years.

Malikov didn't know the terraformer was so close to the tower. If he had seen it personally, he might have changed his plan too... whatever his original plan was. He seems to have noted down his findings in his notebook since we saw a page in the prison.

IMHO, the biggest, unbelievable hole in the game is the sudden appearance of the VTOL. It must be made by Gandalf himself to be able to approach the terraformer unscathed. And suddenly appeared at the end.

I think Insomniac forgot to render the pixie dust particle effect surrounding the plane. :yes:

Ehh... Either that or the plane was piloted by Goblins en route to Gran Pulse.

The ending didn't explain anything really. What new things have we learned in R3? That the chimera needed to escape the planet at some point in the past.
That's about the only thing I can think of, but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Storytelling just doesn't seem to be Insomniac's strong point.
The whole more intimite and "realistic" vibe they build up in the beginning really falls apart when you're nearing the end. The part inside the terraformer is plain ridiculous and cliche.
Though I do hope we get a R4 from them on the PS4 to really flesh things out.

I'm probably going to get the game today by mail. Any advice in regards to difficulty setting?
I've completed MW2 and KZ3 on the harder difficulty settings. Not sure about R2, think I played that on normal. Wouldn't mind a good challenge, though if there's one thing I hate, it's hard difficulty settings making bullet sponges out of enemies and limiting ammos.

Pretty easy because often times the AI isn't very aggressive. Just don't get lost in certain sections because you'll fight more than you have to. I ran into a bathroom and it just didn't end well for me.

That must be planet Helgan. It's where the chimera buy their dropships.

I beat the game. It gets a bit better near the end, although the second half of the game clearly isn't as good as the first half.

The ending is bit a let down. So we're to assume all the chimera just kinda went away. It seems all the really interesting stuff is always going on in the background, where it can be easily ignored. The lack of a proper boss fight is also disappointing, especially since the ones throughout the game were pretty good.

The ending didn't explain anything really. What new things have we learned in R3? That the chimera needed to escape the planet at some point in the past.
That's about the only thing I can think of, but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Storytelling just doesn't seem to be Insomniac's strong point.
The whole more intimite and "realistic" vibe they build up in the beginning really falls apart when you're nearing the end. The part inside the terraformer is plain ridiculous and cliche.
Though I do hope we get a R4 from them on the PS4 to really flesh things out.

It explained:

1. How Nathan Hale and Capelli got back from the final scene in R2.

2. Some Chimeras have gone wild, hence the two different enemy types: The advanced kind, and the feral kind.

The bigger picture is still unknown.

The whereabout of the Cloven is also unknown.

I ran into a bathroom and it just didn't end well for me.

:D Reminds me of the gentleman who went to bathroom, leaving his Demon's Souls character in-game.

That must be planet Helgan. It's where the chimera buy their dropships.

I beat the game. It gets a bit better near the end, although the second half of the game clearly isn't as good as the first half.

The ending is bit a let down. So we're to assume all the chimera just kinda went away. It seems all the really interesting stuff is always going on in the background, where it can be easily ignored. The lack of a proper boss fight is also disappointing, especially since the ones throughout the game were pretty good.

The Chimeras are still around. They lost their link back home, and the terraforming facility in R3.

Their suit and cooling apparatus allow them to roam on Earth unchecked.

The feral ones don't seem to need any cooling gears.

EDIT:
They stopped converting people into Chimera, and there are not many human left on Earth. So they can research in reproduction next, and/or re-establish the home link.

From the number of Windowmakers in the train level, it looks like the feral Chimeras can reproduce on Earth already.

My take on the whole story is:
The Chimera seeded a number of planets, way, way back in the past so that they would have safe havens to escape to should they need them. The virus exists because they wouldn't know who or what would be inhabiting the planet in the future. So they made a biological weapon that would create a race of super soldiers to conquer the planet ready for inhabitation. The terraforming was to create a safe atmosphere for the chimeran overlords and also finish off any remaining naturals but also reduce the number of ferals if they had adapted to a warm planet. Even though the wormhole is gone the planet is still very hostile to the remaining humans as the majority of the population are now chimera.

I'm pretty much in the same ballpark as you...

I am also wondering if the feral Chimeras have anything to do with the Clovens, since they experimented with the Chimeran virus ?

EDIT: Following that line of thought, the R4 hero should be able to work with Cloven scientist(s), perhaps not so trustworthy; and/or the "doctor" Capelli rescued from Mick's camp.

The Chimeras are still around. They lost their link back home, and the terraforming facility in R3.

Their suit and cooling apparatus allow them to roam on Earth unchecked.

The feral ones don't seem to need any cooling gears.

EDIT:
They stopped converting people into Chimera, and there are not many human left on Earth. So they can research in reproduction next, and/or re-establish the home link.

From the number of Windowmakers in the train level, it looks like the feral Chimeras can reproduce on Earth already.

Well, going by the credits, the chimera seem to be at least pushed back in the US. Which is quite a ridiculous chain of events if you ask me. 2 guys know knock down one tower, which apparently an entire army wasn't capable of. And suddenly humanity starts fighting back, instead of merely trying to survive because there are only so few humans left. And somehow a greatly outnumbered, disorganised, poorly supplied, group of people pushes back the highly advanced chimera. It's also quite contrary to the bleak outlook that ran through all the games so far. It's some incredibly poor storytelling to then pull a happy ending out your ass during the credits.

Well, going by the credits, the chimera seem to be at least pushed back in the US. Which is quite a ridiculous chain of events if you ask me. 2 guys know knock down one tower, which apparently an entire army wasn't capable of. And suddenly humanity starts fighting back, instead of merely trying to survive because there are only so few humans left. And somehow a greatly outnumbered, disorganised, poorly supplied, group of people pushes back the highly advanced chimera. It's also quite contrary to the bleak outlook that ran through all the games so far. It's some incredibly poor storytelling to then pull a happy ending out your ass during the credits.

They only need a few story tweaks to highlight the right sequence of events.

e.g., Capelli's journey together with Malikov and Charlie might be helped by the feral Chimeras. The stampede of Widowmaker should have continued in the story, at least draw enough attention away from Capelli.

IMHO, the trip to the terraformer should be done via a small surface-to-air teleporter instead of the VTOL. Perhaps have Capelli destroy the teleporter from the other end to stall ground reinforcement. And then only in the final scene when everything was falling apart, have someone pick him up using the VTOL.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the Grimms in the underground tunnel, and the rogue Widowmaker in NY probably caused chaos amongst the Chimeran troops too.

I think it would have made sense to have the Cloven show up at some point. We from the documents in R2 that they have been successfully fighting the chimera. And it's one of the things fans wanted to know more about.

I doubt Insomniac has some kind of overarching storyline roughly planned for the resistance games. And instead adds to it one game at a time, with each of them almost doing it's own thing, causing a lot of small continuity issues. Which makes me doubtful if we'll ever get some answers to some of it's mysteries. I mean I sure like to know more about the Cloven, those Pure chimera, the grey tech, that other species the chimera were supposed be at war with. It seems Insomniac has created a far bigger universe then they know what to do with.

I think it would have made sense to have the Cloven show up at some point. We from the documents in R2 that they have been successfully fighting the chimera. And it's one of the things fans wanted to know more about.

Yes, I for one have already forgotten what Greytech is. :p

I doubt Insomniac has some kind of overarching storyline roughly planned for the resistance games. And instead adds to it one game at a time, with each of them almost doing it's own thing, causing a lot of small continuity issues. Which makes me doubtful if we'll ever get some answers to some of it's mysteries. I mean I sure like to know more about the Cloven, those Pure chimera, the grey tech, that other species the chimera were supposed be at war with. It seems Insomniac has created a far bigger universe then they know what to do with.

Yes, but I think Killzone, LotR, and some other saga took similar approach. They dream up the universe first (or along the way), and write stories in it.

Back