[PS3] Resistance 3 [SPOILER ALERT - Contains R2 story discussion]

I dunno I think R2 looked better...I suspect the main players have shifted focus to the multiplat and some secondary team is handling this.

In what sense ?

I only remember R2 has rather gaudy colors. :) RFOM has more soothing and coherent colors in comparison (Earth tone for human environments, blue tone for alien structures). R2 has much larger scale than RFOM (Goliath, Leviathan, Chicago bridge, etc.), more advanced fluid simulation and better lighting. RFOM had more realistic glass.

I think the R3 trailer color scheme is more similar to RFOM, which is great news. The lighting, environmental effects, and particle effects are also more pronounced than R2. The boat segment is on-rail but we have already seen other open battles.

Gameplay is what defines the Resistance series, so I don't really pay attention to the graphics. ^_^
e.g., The Chimera Hybrids in R1 and 2 always have gaping mouth in promo shots, which is rather weird. One of the R3 screens shows 2 Chimeras with their mouths closed. Now that is progress. :devilish:

I hope they will improve the texture too, looks very weak IMO especially after playing KZ3. From the video even at low quality, it looks like it doesn't have any SSOA. I think it would help to create mode depth to the overall look.

The game looks pretty decent generally speaking but for a ps3 exclusive, it definitely lacks the impact of say kz, uc and gow3. It really doesn't matter though since I'm quite interested in the story, gameplay and its whole universe since the beginning. If insomniac can keep everything consistent then it would surely be a day 1 purchase.

No more jello-water? When parts of the bridge fall in the water there are no ripples. And the Goliath only makes 2D splashes. Doesn't look like any AA either..

I'm sure they've improved other parts of the engine though! Particle effects are much better.

Quick search.

Uncharted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r9opp1MsNQ

I might be wrong though maybe it is hard to notice. I want this game to be good but I am little disappointed of what I ve seen so far.

Nope. The boat Drake is on does not bob up and down. Just use the boat's railing to measure.

It's fine to be disappointed. When your reason(s) for being disappointed turn out not to be valid, you need to find the real reason why you're disappointed. If you find that you're trying to hard to find something, it might just be a psychological thing.

The game looks pretty decent generally speaking but for a ps3 exclusive, it definitely lacks the impact of say kz, uc and gow3. It really doesn't matter though since I'm quite interested in the story, gameplay and its whole universe since the beginning. If insomniac can keep everything consistent then it would surely be a day 1 purchase.

What interests me more is the MP. e.g., In RFOM deathmatch, you play 2 rounds each time, alternating between human and Chimera. With indepth map knowledge and X-ray vision as a Chimera, sometimes I could murder the human players without them seeing me for the entire game (Auger, lobe grenade before they come into my room, circle and flank from behind, ...).

The downside is once I become human the next round, my opponents would come after me like mad men. >_<

Had to hide in corners or stick right by teammates. As a human, sometimes I'd walk backwards since I know some Chimeras like to use X-ray vision and follow human's trail.

I much prefer those matches where I'm Chimera the second round. :)

No more jello-water? When parts of the bridge fall in the water there are no ripples. And the Goliath only makes 2D splashes.
I really hope that they will add some ripples, currently used white alhpa blended ring doesn't look that good.
Otherwise it's looking very nice. :)

I really hope that they will add some ripples, currently used white alhpa blended ring doesn't look that good.
Otherwise it's looking very nice. :)

Yeah ! Jello is better than white ripples. i think they mmust have removed the jello as it would make the boat bob like hell :D !

What interests me more is the MP. e.g., In RFOM deathmatch, you play 2 rounds each time, alternating between human and Chimera. With indepth map knowledge and X-ray vision as a Chimera, sometimes I could murder the human players without them seeing me for the entire game (Auger, lobe grenade before they come into my room, circle and flank from behind, ...).

The downside is once I become human the next round, my opponents would come after me like mad men. >_<

Had to hide in corners or stick right by teammates. As a human, sometimes I'd walk backwards since I know some Chimeras like to use X-ray vision and follow human's trail.

I much prefer those matches where I'm Chimera the second round. :)

I doubt many left here who remembers RFOM. I loved the asymmetrical MP of RFOM, but after sometime resulted in many quiting when starting in human team. Because of necessary team balancing some players get to be human twice which sucked naturally (for me at least).

As a result Insomniac removed Human vs Chimera matches. Not sure what's it now as I have not played RFOM since R2 came out.

To be honest, I'm not sure perfect balance is necessary for asymmetrical teams. They may be able to switch characters in the middle of a match instead of having two rounds.

One thing I'd like to see in R3 MP is return of the (double) melee bug in R2 which let you to quickly kill anyone with melee even face to face. Current state of melee in FPS is too simplistic, and should definitely improve. I was hoping KZ3 would do that, but was disappointed in that regard.

I always preferred to play as Humans in RFOM MP. You get to start out with the awesome Carbine, and choose your MP skin, like that cool looking black ops uniform.

I do agree that the Chimera probably had a slight advantage, but you do get to play as both anyway. I liked having 2 different sides.

In times of great danger, the Carbine has the 40mm launcher. I also love its accuracy. It's usually my primary weapon, followed by Auger.

Kittonwy is very good at BullsEye tagging. I can't seem to get the hang of it. I was pretty good at throwing grenade halfway across the map though (Huzzah !!!)

Sh*t, 5 years ago I don't have a kid. Now I am not sure if the same GAF RFOM clan can come together and play every night anymore.

EDIT: Also :love: the Air-fuel grenade. I got lucky and wiped out the entire opposing team (8 or more Chimeras) at one go because they ran so closely together. ^_^

The movie was kinda disappointing but the blu-ray whore inside of me would still buy it regardless, plus it doesn't hurt R3 demo is on the disc too.

If there were some improvements to the graphics engine I don't see it. The enemy NPC's seem to look alot worse then what I remember. I am going to play through the game again. It also seems like the boat is on a track...does it even bob up and down?

Unless a boat of that size is moving across the sea with strong waves causing the bobbing motion then it wouldn't bob up and down in reality. On a river with next to no waves, it's not really gonna be bobbing anyway.

I don't think the enemy NPC's look worse, however I still think that the specular (or edge lighting effect - not sure what it's called) seems a little off in some of the shots. The general lighting I think looks miles better than the previous two games, by a significant margin.

I think this might be a case of your memory of the last two games being greater than they actually were. I experienced this recently after going back to play Heavenly sword again, which at release I thought was the best looking game full stop, now though I very much see it's glaring imperfections when compared up against modern games.

Tada !

Gamespot is now playing The R3 demo that comes with the Blu Ray of Battle LA !!! :D :D

EDIT: Oh Damnit !! Turns out the guy playing is another one of those COD kids, all he does is ADS and spam the shotgun! Sucker doesn't even realise he has a pistol exploding rounds :( ! Oh God !How do these guys get these jobs ? They don't seem to know anything about the game they r playing !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back