[PS3] Resistance 3 [SPOILER ALERT - Contains R2 story discussion]

R3 MP Revealed, Beta Later This Year:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/03/02/resistance-3-multiplayer-revealed-beta-later-this-year/

We’ve said all along we wanted Resistance 3’s MP mode to bring the best of both Resistance: Fall of Man and Resistance 2’s MP and co-op modes, and you’re about to see just how we’ve managed to do that.

Resistance 3 will feature 16-player Human vs. Chimera deathmatch and objective-based modes set in locations across the globe. That may seem somewhat jarring after the 40 and 60-player mayhem in RFOM and R2. Rest assured though, our biggest motivation in determining our new player count was the fun times that we and the community had on maps like RFOM’s Busyard and Rooftops, as well as the Bayou House and San Francisco maps in Resistance 2.

Resistance 3 will offer a very deep and customizable progression system. Players can create their own progression paths through multiplayer, spending their hard-earned points to customize loadouts that fit their unique playstyle. We learned a lot from Resistance 2 co-op in terms of giving players the ability to create specific roles in a team and level up different abilities – which you will see with the various active tactical and support abilities, as well as the new personal and combat attributes.

For instance – each player can choose and level different support abilities – such as a Bubble Shield, Ammo Beacon (give ammo to teammates) or Radar Beacon (enhance your team’s radar). There are also tactical abilities you can use against your enemies, such as the Doppelganger (projects an image of you nearby to distract enemies) or Dash (an explosive burst of speed to evade enemy attacks).

Furthermore, each player can select and level a personal attribute and a combat attribute. These range from the ability to have leapers bust out from your corpse, to start with more weapons in your arsenal, to reloading or firing at a faster rate. You will be able to truly customize your character loadout to fit your own unique playstyle in Resistance 3.

We’ve been working on this new direction for close to two years now, polishing and refining our maps. We’re having a ton of fun playing Resistance 3 in the office every day. We will be bringing a multiplayer beta to PSN later this year, so stay tuned to our newsletters (Check today’s for the first news on Insomniac’s Community Day on March 29th!), Full Moon Show podcast, Twitter feed and Facebook page for all the latest updates!

Wow. I feel controversial sentiments: pretty impressed about the flames (really suprisingly good), general IQ & motion but I hate the 'dull' aspect of the graphic & the light in the game, really horrible to me (kz3 seems a generation leap in comparison).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sound effect and visually, it's understandably closer to R2 than R1. The Carbine is still played with ironsight (like R2 instead of R1) ? I was hoping for firing from the hip. Pace is fast like RFOM. Animation seems a little... weird, can't tell what it is yet. Will have to play it personally to comment more. I prefer the simpler RFOM presentation and no frill setup, but this may work too. Also important is their party system and MP game modes. Hope to see some more refinement in these areas compared to previous games.

Insomniac Community Day 2011:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26273558&postcount=352

jstevenson said:
Obviously we're not done - we're still tweaking, polishing and balancing. Feedback from this thread and other boards is always highly useful. :)

Finally, if you are in LA, or even not that far, or can fly, come to our community day. hands-on, tons of cool stuff, some surprises/announcements even maybe!

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=203956179617147

Time:
Tuesday, March 29 · 3:00pm - 8:30pm

6712 Hollywood Boulevard
Hollywood, CA

I don't like what I've seen from this game so far and imo looks like its a downgrade from R2. They had such a great feature set for two but then turn around and downgrade it just to implement MOVE and 3D functionality....No thanks. I hoping it works out but so far I am disappointed.

I don't like what I've seen from this game so far and imo looks like its a downgrade from R2. They had such a great feature set for two but then turn around and downgrade it just to implement MOVE and 3D functionality....No thanks. I hoping it works out but so far I am disappointed.

How do you figure they downgraded anything for MOVE and 3D functionality?

Personally, I'm stoked that Move support is in. Now I may actually play it - after Killzone 3, I won't soon play a non-Move supporting shooter ever again.

Also, most complained that R2 wasn't as good as R1. Personally, although R2 has its definite plusses, I tend to agree to some extent, at least I got physically ill from playing the R2 single player campaign, where R1 was one of the very first shooters that I completed the single player for in a loooong time.

I really like the graphics style of R3 so far. We'll see if the campaign is any good.

On a tangientally related note, for the first time ever I heard from someone that their neighbour had a 360, but sold it because he got a 3DTV and wanted a PS3 for that instead. So 3D support does mean something, even if currently perhaps still very little.

WHat I like about insomniac

is that they don't sacrifice quality to have long list of acronyms and technical jargon to talk about in interviews. Good developer. But what i see in R3 is very impressive improvement. They have created a good dynamic feel in the gameplay video while R2, for me, was a little bit sterile.

As hoped the weapon upgrades are more Ratchet and Clank style than Call of Duty style add-ons.

Those NPCs need to be more active and use more cover.

I'm not exactly a fan of the genre, but that video looked really cool. Seems like Insomniac finally sorted out the problem with the fluctuating art quality whithout suffering performance penalties.

Wow, Ted Price is a high-senser.

I like the big outdoor environment shown here. I really like that about the first two Resistance campaigns. Corridors are okay, but not all the time.

I'm not worried about the multiplayer at all anymore. I used to be sad that they removed the R2-style co-op, but what they've shown a couple months back from the competitive MP almost completely made up for it. The story goes that all the cool progression features and, supposedly, lessons learned from R2 co-op were integrated into R3 competitive.

The video gets so intense near the end,even on the casual difficulty he is playing on ! I am sensing I will get raped by chimera in this game just like I was in R:FOM on hard ! :D !

Back