[PS3] Resistance 3 [SPOILER ALERT - Contains R2 story discussion]

When looking at the screenshots I get the impression/feeling of hopelessness. A constant reminder of a shattered reality. It seems like a footprint left long ago by a race that once was. I wonder if that's what they were aiming for. If so, I certainly get it.

Stopping the negativity, Is that SSAO I am seeing in the MP screen or is it just textures?
Yep they have some form of Ambient Occlusion in the game (I can't stress how badly I missed it in R2), for eg. notice the darkened area around the lifebuoy in this pic:
http://www.insomniacgames.com/assets/images/facebook/Capelli_LongLegs.jpg

Can't tell if its baked or real time till we actually see it in motion. The only thing I want is a better lighting solution, doesn't really has to be HDR...its going to be fine as long as its better than the rather flat lighting in previous two games.

Yep they have some form of Ambient Occlusion in the game (I can't stress how badly I missed it in R2), for eg. notice the darkened area around the lifebuoy in this pic:
http://www.insomniacgames.com/assets/images/facebook/Capelli_LongLegs.jpg

Can't tell if its baked or real time till we actually see it in motion. The only thing I want is a better lighting solution, doesn't really has to be HDR...its going to be fine as long as its better than the rather flat lighting in previous two games.

My thoughts exactly. Insomniac's engine really lacks in lighting. They have lotsa shaders but really flat lighting model. Something I have mentioned many times earlier too.
As for the lifebouy, I noticed that too, but I guessed it must be baked, but the MP map shows shadows at every corner and where ever walls meets and doesn't really look baked. Lets hope it SSAO. The graphics really need it.

I was expecting a frozen environment, so that they don't have wear their cooling apparatus there, but instead what we found was a climate suited best for humans. If they can bloody freeze a whole city in RFOM to suit their needs, why not their spaceship????

Stopping the negativity, Is that SSAO I am seeing in the MP screen or is it just textures?

I think it's only the big towers that can change the climate, in FOM only the master London tower and in Resistance Retriution the big Paris tower freeze things (outlying towers and bases dont).

IIRC in Retribution all the carriers were killed off too, but the Chimera had developed a new system for conversion (Spinners put the infected in cocoons at the site of infection).

And I think it's baked AO, it's missing in other parts of the scene like the foreground rubble that SSAO would catch..

Yap, that Spire is for releasing the bugs, not for terraforming. When I saw the screenshot above, I remember the Bus Yard level immediately. It's the place where Nathan Hale was first transformed.

RFOM had a lot of Variety in enemy types and all were very interesting in attacks, even if visually they seemed like regular guys. Alos, background mythology in RFOM, like those octopus-like-flying things, Carriers, I think, added a lot to the atmosphere. They added a kindof mystery and magic to the Chimeran universe. They would silently just come after the attack and pick up infected bodies and leave. They were like the Reapers. I just loved that.

Yes, that's what I meant for lacking in imagination. Their look could be more scary... like using human eyes, more slimy, more grotesque. Or their look could tell a story about the bosses/monsters. e.g., In R2, they had a regular swarm of electric bugs, they could make them animate a corpse in mid-air to make them anthropomorphic. It ties the monsters closer to us, rather than yet another target to shoot.

In R1, the mytho was narrated by a woman. In R2, it's missing; and the bosses + critters were scattered all over the place for no reason. I remember there was a jump in timeline in R2. So it gets confusing.

That said, I totally agree R1 has good mix of enemy attack/combat. This is where their imagination soared. The weapon system is innovative also.

Yap, that Spire is for releasing the bugs, not for terraforming. When I saw the screenshot above, I remember the Bus Yard level immediately. It's the place where Nathan Hale was first transformed.

I wasn't saying this Spire transforms the weather......But just like you say, patsu, this is so RFOM. At that time CHimera were launching these spires to infect humans. Now that the Chimera have won the war, and humans, if any left, are hiding in small camps, the use of Spire is confusing ! Search n destroy parties of Chimera, as mentioned by Insomniac, fits well, as that is all that is needed now whenever a human settlement is reported. But , maybe, its a map from the RFOM era. I think, Resistance has had that earlier too, where the map is from a different time than SP. I think in the co-op maps in R2.
Who knows? Maybe thats why it gives off such a RFOM vibe.

I think it's only the big towers that can change the climate, in FOM only the master London tower and in Resistance Retriution the big Paris tower freeze things (outlying towers and bases dont).

But surely the inside of Chimeran spaceship, in which they transport whole legions, would be able to cool itself. The discrepancy lies in that part in R2.

IIRC in Retribution all the carriers were killed off too, but the Chimera had developed a new system for conversion (Spinners put the infected in cocoons at the site of infection).

That explains the absence of carriers in R2. i wasn't aware of Retribution lore. My point is that such passive elements enhance the 'reality' of the universe a lot. Hope such things are brought back into mainstream in R3. I am sure Insomniac is very particular about the SP this time.

Humh, really love the colors and flare (I'm sucker on flares and 70's old photo colors) on that Longlegs picture, but its a littlebit flat yes.

I wasn't saying this Spire transforms the weather......But just like you say, patsu, this is so RFOM. At that time CHimera were launching these spires to infect humans. Now that the Chimera have won the war, and humans, if any left, are hiding in small camps, the use of Spire is confusing ! Search n destroy parties of Chimera, as mentioned by Insomniac, fits well, as that is all that is needed now whenever a human settlement is reported. But , maybe, its a map from the RFOM era. I think, Resistance has had that earlier too, where the map is from a different time than SP. I think in the co-op maps in R2.
Who knows? Maybe thats why it gives off such a RFOM vibe.

But surely the inside of Chimeran spaceship, in which they transport whole legions, would be able to cool itself. The discrepancy lies in that part in R2.

That explains the absence of carriers in R2. i wasn't aware of Retribution lore. My point is that such passive elements enhance the 'reality' of the universe a lot. Hope such things are brought back into mainstream in R3. I am sure Insomniac is very particular about the SP this time.

You should play through all of the games in their entirety before you start asking for complete world transformation merely a few years after the events of R2 :p

Ha ha, or Sony should make a PSP Emulator on PS3 !

Call the PSP games, the "Busy Gamers Series" since they are designed for short sessions. :devilish:

Ha ha, or Sony should make a PSP Emulator on PS3 !

Well, the thing is, if you've only played the PS3 games, you don't really have a good grasp on the time frame in which it took the Chimera to amass their forces. It didn't happen in a few months, it took years. I believe it took a few years for them to completely take over Russia, and then between R: FoM and R2 you have another 2 year span. So over the course of 4 years, they managed to push humanity to the brink.

However, at the end of Resistance 2, Hale and Capelli manage to wipe out nearly all of the Chimeran Air fleet, which no doubt set them back considerably. It's perfectly acceptable to imagine that after 4 years they'll still be fighting off human resistance. Not to mention there's really no need for them to take over each and every city / mile of land, so naturally those will be abandoned.

It's also important to remember that the shots we're seeing are environmental shots, meaning they're not showcasing quite a bit. They're not story boards, after all ;)

Lastly, I think the idea of a Prison set in the Republic of Chad where surviving humans are practicing cannibalism just to stay a live is pretty interesting, I don't know about you guy's. I don't need space ships, I need something bleak and grizzly! :devilish:

Bleak and grizzly is good! Especially when it's delivered by seven foot tall, gas breathing alien hybrids with more armour than tank and the kind of fire power that would put your average middle eastern conflict to shame...

Yap, with the weapon wheel and auto-upgraded weapons (a la Ratchet and Clank), I feel they have more freedom with enemy and combat design. Afterall, we are very powerful with a fully loaded wheel plus a long enough health bar.

However, I look forward to the multiplayer most. The encounters are more varied because of the weapon variety and player skills. RFOM had pretty good match making. Really really hope they can button things down. Don't think it's an easy feat.

Well, I was just sharing my imagination for the universe. Not knowing Retribution lore, doesn't mean I can't have a say in discussions. It was an off-shoot game, big-deal I didn't play it. Then there were comics and a novel too, if I am not wrong, that many I didn't read.I am just building on what Insomniac has revealed about the setting of the game. If they want to keep it low, not all-out, its their wish.
However, at the end of Resistance 2, Hale and Capelli manage to wipe out nearly all of the Chimeran Air fleet, which no doubt set them back considerably. It's perfectly acceptable to imagine that after 4 years they'll still be fighting off human resistance.
And since its a fiction, we can say maybe they teleported double the number of soldiers in a few seconds after R2 ended.
May, 1953 - Resistance 2. Chimera invade America. A massive Chimeran battleship attack devastates military installations on each coast. 60 percent of U.S. armed forces are killed within the first 72 hours of the assault.

June, 1953 - Daedalus activates all Chimeran towers and routes them to his ship over Chicxulub, Mexico. Nathan Hale kills Daedalus. Atomic bomb detonates, “kick starts” the tower network, surging all energy toward New York City. Wormhole opens over New York City. Joseph Capelli kills Nathan Hale. Malikov finds unique antigens in Hale’s blood that are the basis for a new vaccine against the Chimera virus.

July, 1953 - Capelli is dishonorably discharged from the U.S. Army.

November, 1953 - Capelli makes his way to Haven, Oklahoma, meets his wife Susan, gets married.
July, 1954 - Capelli and Susan give birth to a son, Jack.

August 9, 1957 – Resistance 3 begins.
Wonder what is coming out of that wormhole if not millions of Chimera ;) ! Its fiction tha_con, chill , "Anything can happen.......in the magic box!"

What I do like about what has been shown is the colours. They seem to be getting it right this time. The boat sequence,which I believe will be seeing in the gameplay trailer, shows perfect blend of colours and gloom. Loving it. Like the colours of the concept art with the Spire too.

But, still, even if I don't know the complete story spanning every game , novel and comic, I wish they pushed themselves harder in the concept stage. Bring in Organic Chimeran buildings which walk about destroying cities as they go ! What say ? Ha Ha !
I am sure they must have made a compelling experience, but my mind is going in the other direction every time I think the Chimera have won ;) !

Well, I was just sharing my imagination for the universe. Not knowing Retribution lore, doesn't mean I can't have a say in discussions. It was an off-shoot game, big-deal I didn't play it. Then there were comics and a novel too, if I am not wrong, that many I didn't read.I am just building on what Insomniac has revealed about the setting of the game. If they want to keep it low, not all-out, its their wish.

And since its a fiction, we can say maybe they teleported double the number of soldiers in a few seconds after R2 ended.

Wonder what is coming out of that wormhole if not millions of Chimera ;) ! Its fiction tha_con, chill , "Anything can happen.......in the magic box!"

What I do like about what has been shown is the colours. They seem to be getting it right this time. The boat sequence,which I believe will be seeing in the gameplay trailer, shows perfect blend of colours and gloom. Loving it. Like the colours of the concept art with the Spire too.

But, still, even if I don't know the complete story spanning every game , novel and comic, I wish they pushed themselves harder in the concept stage. Bring in Organic Chimeran buildings which walk about destroying cities as they go ! What say ? Ha Ha !
I am sure they must have made a compelling experience, but my mind is going in the other direction every time I think the Chimera have won ;) !

I think there's a pretty distinct difference between conversation about what you think it cool, or where you'd like to see it go, and looking at concept art and saying "well this isn't what I would do".

I mean, Insomniac knows the lore and the chimera best, so why exactly would you interject (especially if you don't know all of the lore) and say "well this isn't how it should be! It should be like this!". It's kind of like Star Wars episodes IV and V, and then when you see VI, saying "well, Vader shouldn't have been Luke's father, it should have been Yoda!".

I think there's a pretty distinct difference between conversation about what you think it cool, or where you'd like to see it go, and looking at concept art and saying "well this isn't what I would do".

I mean, Insomniac knows the lore and the chimera best, so why exactly would you interject (especially if you don't know all of the lore) and say "well this isn't how it should be! It should be like this!". It's kind of like Star Wars episodes IV and V, and then when you see VI, saying "well, Vader shouldn't have been Luke's father, it should have been Yoda!".

Why wouldn't I? Thats what forums are for ! Voicing your thoughts, sharing them with other fans. Mind you, its not always the creator's decision as to what happens in a story. Look at Raiden in MGS4 ! Kojima didn't want him to be a wreck, he knew the lore best, but fans' reaction all over the world made him change Raiden into a wreck he was in MGS4. Look at Infamous 2! SP knew the best, but changed the character to something more akin to Cole in Infamous 1. They even admitted that they realised they had gone too far with the character re-design.
Once a universe, a creation is out, its as much a Girlfriend of the fans as it is of the creators. Saying that fans should stay away from it and not "interject' is defying the whole concept of creating a universe and serving it to the world. Its not a passive piece of work, my friend, the creator is always and eager to hear what the fans have to say about his work. The work is to be consumed by them, not the creator. Your saying that fans should never 'interject' and voice their opinion and just lap up everything served like a happy puppy is very unrealistic, to say.
I love the universe, and it exists as much in my head, as it does in Insomniac's office. Saying I shouldn't put my views forth, is like saying you should always agree with the one you love! Never happens, Dude !

"We don't need no Thought Control ! " ;)

Saying
"well this isn't what I would do".
is in fact even safer, as it removes the creator from the complaint totally :) ! But I never meant that. I was offending enough to suggest that Insomniac is slacking in Concept art and imagination from what we have seen uptill now. I don't understand why you think I am not allowed to say that.

tha_con, at this point, you might as well spoil the Retribution story for me (in spoiler tag). What has transpired before or after R2 ?

Also amongst us, I know Need2Know still plays R2 often. At least, I see him in R2 everytime he's online these days (yesterday !). ^_^

According to him, you can still start an R2 MP game quickly. Am quite surprised to hear that.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/12/10/creepy-resistance-viral-spooks-media/

Yeah ! THe virals have started again :) ! I really enjoyed the Project Abraham viral campaign ! Looks like they have stuff planned for R3 as well.
GrimFull.jpg

From Twitter: The trialer will be 2 mins long and will feature live action and gameplay together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Res 3 definitely using MLAA and low res particles buffer.

Amazing animations and blood/guts effects, scale is pretty big too,

Back