[PS3] Resistance 3 [SPOILER ALERT - Contains R2 story discussion]

In RFOM, I didn't care where the maps were in the SP campaign.

The things I liked are:
* Alternate Chimera and human rounds
* Weapon wheel
* RFOM server platform (dedicated server with matchmaking, custom game, text + voice chat in lobby)
* Maps that are big enough for 1-v-1 encounters for 5 seconds or so (Long enough for us to settle old scores, but short enough to be intense)
* Secondary fire (Also :love: the fuel grenade)

I kinda like far grenade throw also... (against band of snipers) but some may hate it.

In RFOM, I didn't care where the maps were in the game anyways.

It did become a problem in R2 where the majority of the maps were made for co-op, not for competitive.

The things I liked are:
* Alternate Chimera and human rounds
* Weapon wheel
* RFOM server platform (dedicated server with matchmaking, custom game, text + voice chat in lobby)
* Maps that are big enough for 1-v-1 encounters for 5 seconds or so (Long enough for us to settle old scores, but short enough to be intense)
* Secondary fire (Also :love: the fuel grenade)

I'd love to see all those things back in R3.

I kinda like far grenade throw also... (against band of snipers) but some may hate it.

That would be the snipers, always sitting in their predictable little corners. I loved target bombing them from across the map.

Upgrades in MP sounds like a horrible idea though. I can't wait to play a properly balanced shooter again.

It will also depend on their match making.

There is another dimension. In the first game, it's tough to play against a large clan.

When we had a full 20 men turn-out, people would quit from our session when we were still waiting for the game to start. :)

It did become a problem in R2 where the majority of the maps were made for co-op, not for competitive.

I'd love to see all those things back in R3.

That would be the snipers, always sitting in their predictable little corners. I loved target bombing them from across the map.

Yap, towards the latter part of the game's lifecycle where different clans have perfected their strategies, I spent most of my time trying to poke a hole in their plan. :devilish:

Usually got thrashed big time (e.g., 1 patsu vs 6 snipers on the "sniper hill"). But it's fun when the plan worked [occasionally].

Clans will always be difficult to balance for. At least in Rfom you could be the one-man-army. The fact that it was all you, and not silly upgrades, made it fun.

All this remembering playing Rfom makes me want R3 to be exactly like it and more. Of course we still have to wait and see how it'll turn out.

Hybrid_Fire.jpg

Ravanger_TrainCar.jpg

New Ravager Design. Thats one heck of a forced smile :p !

Didn't see the burning dude at first!

Looking forward to info on weapon upgrades. I hope they function more like Ratchet (changed functionality) than COD (scopes, magazines..).

Assuming these are all from "in-game" sequences, and not part of a cutscene, their fire looks greatly improved.

Capelli_LongLegs.jpg

Last image unlock from Facebook ! New enemy called LongLegs! We can see this is ingsme from the reduced lighting quality on the characters, which , as usual, puts the other pics in the doubtful group of Bullshots ! Insomniac had done that for R2 reveal too. The multiple lights (blue skylight)on the Chimera shown in initial shots was never to be seen ingame.

Its ok though, no big deal. I guess the only game that releases shots as is is probably KZ2.

Speaking about LongLegs…

I want to fight the RFOM buggers that jump around from wall to wall/ceiling again, fair and square this time. I got p*ssed at them and threw a Hailstorm into the room last time. ;-)

New Ravager Design. Thats one heck of a forced smile :p !

That's not a smile. It's buck teeth !

After weapon wheel and reasonably long health bar, my next wish in R3 is unbelievable enemy AI. In R1, they also mixed enemy types in a troop, I had to fire low at the quick crawling critters, straight at the hybrids and berserkers, high at flying monsters, and occasionally in every direction at the wall leaping monsters. The path finding and flanking was great too. Do it ! :devilish:

I can't really see much improvements graphically compared to R2 in these shots, but then again they're screenshots. Their chimera models definitely need more attention to detail in the textures and polycount, lighting seems flat though the fire effect seems improved quite a lot. I hope the VGA trailer would surprise me and I do like the dark atmosphere similar to War of the world.

I can't really see much improvements graphically compared to R2 in these shots, but then again they're screenshots. Their chimera models definitely need more attention to detail in the textures and polycount, lighting seems flat though the fire effect seems improved quite a lot. I hope the VGA trailer would surprise me and I do like the dark atmosphere similar to War of the world.

I think the visuals are fine (as well as a marked step up from the stuff in R2). I don't really think they need to spend a big texture budget on the enemies, I'd rather see that spent on things that are more in your face. The majority of the time, enemies are so far away while you shoot them that their textures rarely matter at all. At least that's how it's always been for me. I have to go examine dead bodies to really appreciate detail in the enemies. If they can shift that budget over to the environment / gun models / etc, then I'm all for it.

I doubt the game will be 1080p, those textures will probably look best at the intended 720p.

And Resistance 2 was no slouch in texture detail:

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt the game will be 1080p, those textures will probably look best at the intended 720p.

And Resistance 2 was no slouch in texture detail:

We have to keep in mind that the game is an year away from release, so what we are seeing here is really primitive stuff. Games TM article mentioned that everything shown to them was very incomplete in models, animations, sounds,etc. More like a playable concept of what would be in the game. I don't think anything is ready for show. Things will obviously improve throughout the next year. From what I had read, I am surprised they are about to show gameplay at VGAs !

What dissappointed me was not tye low res textures, there's time for that, but tye concept arts shown for tye MP maps and the screen shot released are all very bland n boring ! Where's da Imagination, Insomniacs ?!???!!!

I have similar feeling (Enemy concept lacks imagination). It's the same for RFOM. Hopefully they can nail the gameplay.

I have similar feeling (Enemy concept lacks imagination). It's the same for RFOM. Hopefully they can nail the gameplay.

RFOM had a lot of Variety in enemy types and all were very interesting in attacks, even if visually they seemed like regular guys. Alos, background mythology in RFOM, like those octopus-like-flying things, Carriers, I think, added a lot to the atmosphere. They added a kindof mystery and magic to the Chimeran universe. They would silently just come after the attack and pick up infected bodies and leave. They were like the Reapers. I just loved that. Surprisingly, they were missing in R2. Actually, a lot of the mythos was missing in R2, like the Insomniacs forgot that the Chimera are from a cold climate and need to cool themselves regularly. So, when entering their spaceship, I was expecting a frozen environment, so that they don't have wear their cooling apparatus there, but instead what we found was a climate suited best for humans. If they can bloody freeze a whole city in RFOM to suit their needs, why not their spaceship????
But anyways, I think I had mentioned that before in R2 thread too. So...

In R3,they are trying for a more convincing world again. Which is good. Lets hope they don't forget what the Fans remember about the Chimera and RFOM mythology.

r3_concept.jpg

This concept art, for example, isn't exciting to me at all. Chimera have taken over, hybrid structures mixing human and chimera architecture, climate changing to winters all over and wasted human and chimeran machinery comes to my mind immediately. But , instead, what Insomniac shows us is a deserted desolate street with broken buildings. This looks like RFOM timeline, when the Chimera had just arrived, not when the Chimera have won the war !!!

Dining.jpg

This one here is an MP map set in Africa! I know they wan't to tease, but this is a generic room. Ted Price thinks this will have fans drooling for MP? :oops:

Anyways, their ways of teasing us. After all, in RFOM, it was the gameplay that was paramount, but I am one of the few who loved the art style of the RFOM Universe.

Stopping the negativity, Is that SSAO I am seeing in the MP screen or is it just textures?

Back