latest quarter shipment nums

Is it important?

Consoles have become like football teams, people back one and want it to win!

However, aside from this - I don't think it's that important who WINS, I think it's important that no-one LOSES.

Sony were really close to losing, and if they dropped out a market with just MS and Wii would not be ideal, as it stands they are all pushing each other and it's good healthy competition...as a result we consumers are doing quite well IMHO. :)

This is silly

1) Nintendo had a huge reversal of fortune and are reaping the benfits coming from 3rd place with 20m units to having already moved 70m units

2) MS has had a decent turn around. They went from 25m sold total to the 40m mark dispite the RROD issues

3) Sony has had a huge reversal of fortune. After selling over 100m ps1s and 150ps3s they have now struggled to move less than 40m units.

For ms , well they will most likely push 60m consoles sold this generation unless something major happens. They are doing better in europe but not so well at all in japan however this generation is a much better spring board for the next than the original xbox's generation.

With sony , I don't know how to see it. In the USA they are a distant third and in europe they are very healthy. But japan they seem to be struggling with. I don't know if slowly catching up with ms sales wise is something for them to celebrate esp if you take into consideration that these numbers include sony's relaunched ps3 slim and not ms's slim style console. I think next gen sony needs to focus on whats important and not worry about using thie console to win a format war.

I think next gen sony needs to focus on whats important and not worry about using thie console to win a format war.

I think you are wrong about that, Sony now has more channels of income, ie they have spread their risk. If on channel goes down the drain, well then hopefully the others will help keep Sony healthy. But if they only have one, well lose it and you got no business.

So if you look at Nintendo, Sony and MS it might look something like this (I guess all could have more general sources of revenue, but I am not very in to their businesses)

Nintendo
* Home console
* Portable console
* Software

Sony
* Home console
* Portable Console
* Software
* BD
* CE goods

Microsoft
* Home console
* Software
* PC software

The idea is the more parity you have been between your "channels/divisions" then you have spread your risk better.

For Sony, okay so they might have lost 100M pcs of console sales, but how much have they gained in CE sales due to BD, now we are talking TV (1080p due to BD movies), BD discs, BD players, royalties (all the movies getting re-release on BD etc).
There is nothing that suggest that if the PS3 did not have BD that it would have such a gigantic lead and profit margin anyway, to cover what they have most likely have gained and will gain on BD being the next optical disc standard. Even if its never becomes as bit as the DVD market is/was.

As for Microsoft, they want to make sure they are not left our if PC's become more niche used in the home. So they wanted into the livingroom with a their media/entertainment delivery system, ie a games console that can deliver movies, music, limited internet etc etc.

Why do you think Google is doing their Google TV, I got it on decent authority that Google is going to all content providers and telling them to deliver their content onto their GoogleTV platform. And from what I am hearing, their abit arrogant about it and basically are getting a foot up their backside. Mainly because their arrogant and demand the content for "free".

Nintendo, to me, looks like the only ones doing consoles for just the games. Which could be their downfall if things go the way Sony/Microsoft want/hope. But then again their core gaming experience might be better for the avg user, than the Sony/MS way of we are trying to do everything with our box approach.

This is silly

3) Sony has had a huge reversal of fortune. After selling over 100m ps1s and 150ps3s they have now struggled to move less than 40m units.

lol at this. you've over exageratted PS2 sales, and then quoted a figure that includes 11 years of sales!

in essence X360 is around 50% up on XB1 (and will get better) PS3 is currently around 50% of where PS2 was (the biggest selling home console ever)

lol at this. you've over exageratted PS2 sales, and then quoted a figure that includes 11 years of sales!

in essence X360 is around 50% up on XB1 (and will get better) PS3 is currently around 50% of where PS2 was (the biggest selling home console ever)

I'm curious to know where was the PS1 at after being 4 years old? The PS3 is clearly behind the PS2, but I'm willing to bet it's selling better then the PS1 by comparison.

PS3 hardware sales is up 118% year-on-year. It looks like it's not slowing down. 100 million in sales is pausible by 2016 if it continues to run that long. With Move and Kinect, we are ensure that the current market will continue for several more years. After that it's anyone guesses.

I'm curious to know where was the PS1 at after being 4 years old? The PS3 is clearly behind the PS2, but I'm willing to bet it's selling better then the PS1 by comparison.

Close but a little ahead
1994/12/31 (Launch Date Japan)
1998/08/21 40 million units (Japan: 13 million/ USA: 14.3 million/ Europe: 12.7 million)

As seen Japan is clearly the weak point for the PS3 in comparison to PS1.

Just out of curiousity, why wouldnt it? PS3 has no piracy and standalone BD players are a lot cheaper than PS3s now.
Well, people have less money so they can buy less new games and are more into trading/exchanging games with one another or buying used games in PS3's case. Other consoles, forget about it, it's piracy galore with stores selling hacked consoles and games on DVD-R's for a buck.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Sony, okay so they might have lost 100M pcs of console sales, but how much have they gained in CE sales due to BD, now we are talking TV (1080p due to BD movies), BD discs, BD players, royalties (all the movies getting re-release on BD etc).

Are there any indicators anywhere as to how much revenue blu-ray related items are now netting Sony? Either from royalties, blank media sales, etc... It seems difficult to find this info, plus I hear conflicting opinions on it, stuff like Sony making the least percentage cut of all the blu-ray partners. No clue where the truth lies though.

I recall discussion of Sony's investment in BRD not being in the licensing fees, of which as you say they aren't major benefactors, but in fabrication and component provision. I'm sure Carl B knows where to find this info in Sony's financials.

Close but a little ahead
1994/12/31 (Launch Date Japan)
1998/08/21 40 million units (Japan: 13 million/ USA: 14.3 million/ Europe: 12.7 million)

As seen Japan is clearly the weak point for the PS3 in comparison to PS1.

That 40 million and its timeframe includes less than 3 years of sales from NA and Europe.

That 40 million and its timeframe includes less than 3 years of sales from NA and Europe.

True - that's why i wrote Japan :)
There's no 100% fair comparison cause of the different launch dates of the consoles. But im posting all date's that are valid for a comparison. I hope i get your seal of approval now ;)

1994/12/03 Japan
1995/09/09 USA
1995/0929 EU
1998/09/30 43.14 million units (Japan: 13.15 million/ USA: 16.07 million/ Europe: 13.92 million)
1998/12/21 50 million units (Japan: 14.25 million/ USA: 19.35million/ Europe: 16.4 million)
1998/12/31 50.70 million units (Japan: 14.71 million/ USA: 19.48 million/ Europe: 16.4 million)
1999/03/31 54.42 million units (Japan: 15.26 million/ USA: 20.62 million/ Europe: 18.54 million)
1999/06/30 58.4 million units (Japan: 16.04 million/ USA: 21.53 million/ Europe: 20.83 million)

Edit: Changed Japan to right Launch Date

Some specious numbers and counting in this thread and after numerous posts not a single link to the sony financials. Given how ridiculous the opening post was
I think I'm still awaiting the posting and discussion of Nintendo's quarterly financials on this board from two reporting periods ago!
some of it was to be expected. It is not difficult at all to find each of the platform holders investor relations sites. If you want to quote numbers please do them from the official sources while noting the differences between manufactured, sold-in, and sold-through.

SNE: www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/
MSFT: www.microsoft.com/investor/
NTDOY: www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/index.html

As usual for full disclosure I own shares in each of the companies.

Ok been reading this thread and I have to ask, why does it really matter who ends up in 1st 2nd or 3rd?

Did you read anything else :)

Sony was the one to beat but MS was prepared to go all in this round, all eyes were on PS3 vs 360 and the WII came from out of nowhere and wiped the floor with both of them.

That is what 1 2 and 3 is all about. We have been at this since before the launch of the 360.

I still think it´s fascinating how Sony could fumble the launch, screw up the HiDef war and the most important part, loose the internet war and Console war as well. If they learned their lesson, which their sales might be showing, then Nintendo and Microsoft will have a tougher round with PS4.

don't forget that since PS1 the JP market has lost share gained by EU in 2001 it was around US45%/JP35%/EU20% now it's around US42%/JP13%/EU45% this cannot be helping Sony rather hindering, if the JP market had ~doubled like US & EU then the PS3 would have ~5M more sales for PS3 (and of course Wii would be even further ahead!)

There's no 100% fair comparison cause of the different launch dates of the consoles. But im posting all date's that are valid for a comparison. I hope i get your seal of approval now ;)

1994/12/31 Japan
1995/09/09 USA
1995/0929 EU
1998/09/30 43.14 million units (Japan: 13.15 million/ USA: 16.07 million/ Europe: 13.92 million)
1998/12/21 50 million units (Japan: 14.25 million/ USA: 19.35million/ Europe: 16.4 million)
1998/12/31 50.70 million units (Japan: 14.71 million/ USA: 19.48 million/ Europe: 16.4 million)
1999/03/31 54.42 million units (Japan: 15.26 million/ USA: 20.62 million/ Europe: 18.54 million)
1999/06/30 58.4 million units (Japan: 16.04 million/ USA: 21.53 million/ Europe: 20.83 million)

Cool, thanks man. Japanese launch of the PS1 was on the last day of 1994?

Hmm... looks like I was off a bit. I also just realize that the PS3 actually isn't 4 years old yet. It needs about 5 more months of sales.

don't forget that since PS1 the JP market has lost share gained by EU in 2001 it was around US45%/JP35%/EU20% now it's around US42%/JP13%/EU45%

While it's true that Japan lost share, the market in 2001 was never ever 35% JP and 20% EU - u can also see that in the numbers i posted - even in 98 EU was higher than Japan:

Japan's market share in the past is often overrated - they for example were never the biggest market.

Cool, thanks man. Japanese launch of the PS1 was on the last day of 1994?

Argh my bad - of course not - it's just the first day with numbers - launch day was 1994/12/03

While it's true that Japan lost share, the market in 2001 was never ever 35% JP and 20% EU - u can also see that in the numbers i posted - even in 98 EU was higher than Japan:

Japan's market share in the past is often overrated - they for example were never the biggest market.

Sorry, I was talking total console market, not just PS.

I'd like to also add that as the total market has ~doubled since PS1 that this again shows PS3 lacking.

Rangers said:
I'm also ever so slightly beginning to question Sony's ship numbers TBH. If the end user sales trackers aren't reflecting them, there's a problem.

This always comes up in a good Sony quarter, just as the equally ridiculous "how many were RROD replacements?" comes up in a good MS quarter. It's almost not even worth going over again - if you ship more than are sold, the excess end up in retailer warehouses, so they stop ordering replacements, so it evens out on a much shorter schedule than quarterly. So it's a non issue - overshipping is always a temporary phenomenon, and retailer stock is the buffer that prevents it from happening to any significant degree.

goonergaz said:
I don't think it's that important who WINS, I think it's important that no-one LOSES.

Exactly. As gamers it's best that there is healthy competition which keeps all manufacturers pushing to introduce new features and improving their wares for all of us.

goonergaz said:
Sony were really close to losing

I'd argue it was Nintendo that was really close to losing - launching inferior tech with an untried control method that really needed to capture the imagination to take off was a big gamble. It obviously paid off but wasn't really expected to prior to launch. 360 and PS3 were always going to sell at a decent rate (and have done consistently since their respective launches).

I hope i get your seal of approval now ;)

You got it, atleast the silver level seal of approval. your additional information was clarifying, the first post wasn't a very good comparison, because it had different amount of holiday seasons in addition to just different timeframes.

Back