How MS and Sony see kinect and move

^^It is kinda amazing how many people don't see that.

I don't like the non removable (with out taking apart the controller) batterys of the ps3. I much perfer the MS way. Its why I wont buy apple products anymore. The first and third gen ipods left a bad taste in my mouth. Its also why i went nook instead of kindle

^^It is kinda amazing how many people don't see that.

aye, it's amazing isn't it! But how about the pricing of Wiimotion+ £50RRP vs Move £35RRP, or thye fact you have to teather the 2 controllers together and that creates a restriction on movement...and then (of course) Wii doesn't have a camera, so no 'player in the game' style thing like eyepet/start the party (etc) - when you start to look at the differences in detail they stick out more and more.

Man you guys are all SOOOO serious. Lighten up a bit and fun with these ridiculous comparisons. :D

Regards,
SB

In Microsoft's case though I don't agree. The core gamers budget will not be affected as much since Kinect does not target the core audience. So core gamers will keep on spending as they do, and primarily new customers will be the ones dropping money on Kinect related items. So Microsoft will be bringing new money to the fold, not cannibalizing existing sales.

See this is what I don't understand, why would a casual gamer spend £250 on a console with a handful of casual games when they can spend £160 on one with more casual games than you can shake a controller at?

I doubt either will appeal to new gamers (people who have yet to buy) as they're too much more than Wii.

I doubt X360 owners would spend £130 on an add-on vs £160 for a whole console (but then I didn't think people would pay way OTT for their other add-ons)

I have more faith in Move being adopted, I expect a high % of those already with an eye to get one neaqr day one, then I expect those who were considering a Wii to get Move as a cheap alternative.

All IMO of course.

Funny how MS ignores some extra Move features and tries to make it look like another Wii at a higher price. No body tracking at all? No voice recognition at all? They are also in Move

Then Sony takes some missing features from Kinect and presents them as a bad thing when they arent really features and the whole point is their absence. Missing buttons? No extra controller? Thats the whole point with Kinect. Controller free gaming. Duh!
The Wireless feature is also funny. Both cameras PSEye and Kinect arent wireless. But hey the Move controller is. Right? Too bad Kinect doesnt use a wireless controller and you have to connect your body to the console with a USB

Funny how MS ignores some extra Move features and tries to make it look like another Wii at a higher price. No body tracking at all? No voice recognition at all? They are also in Move

Then Sony takes some missing features from Kinect and presents them as a bad thing when they arent really features and the whole point is their absence. Missing buttons? No extra controller? Thats the whole point with Kinect. Controller free gaming. Duh!
The Wireless feature is also funny. Both cameras PSEye and Kinect arent wireless. But hey the Move controller is. Right? Too bad Kinect doesnt use a wireless controller and you have to connect your body to the console with a USB

I was thinking it was about the extra power cable for Kinect that restricts setup placement unless you buy a new 360 slim.

If I was Sony, I would've listed total control of hardcore and casual games as a benefit. I think Patsu is right about Sony underselling Move.

I was thinking it was about the extra power cable for Kinect that restricts setup placement unless you buy a new 360 slim.

If I was Sony, I would've listed total control of hardcore and casual games as a benefit. I think Patsu is right about Sony underselling Move.

What the...

What does that even mean?

Maybe he meant total control of hardcore gamers. :D Control the gamers and you control their wallets. Good strategy. :D

Not sure Move can do Mind Control yet, however. Although maybe they'll release a Hypnosis party game. "You WILL love Move. You WILL buy anything Sony Makes. You WILL wire Sony all your life savings." :LOL:

Regards,
SB

Maybe he meant total control of hardcore gamers. :D Control the gamers and you control their wallets. Good strategy. :D

Not sure Move can do Mind Control yet, however. Although maybe they'll release a Hypnosis party game. "You WILL love Move. You WILL buy anything Sony Makes. You WILL wire Sony all your life savings." :LOL:

Regards,
SB

Xbox Live and new Xbox Slim as ''Kinect ready'' says what!:LOL:

Seriously though its no secret Kinect can't do hardcore games as well as it has no pointing control.

I think Lucid_Dreamer meant PS Move can be used to control both casual and core games because of its precision and versatility. The same scheme can cover slow and fast movement accurately under any condition.

However, it is probably more apt to see Kinect as a long term project. Some of it's shortcomings can be addressed with better camera, better software or even using additional controllers over time. I expect it to be integrated tightly into the 360 OS UI.

PS Move will shine with more innovative applications, and more experienced developers in the short term. In the long run, Sony can update different parts independently but I'm not sure if Sony will integrate Move into the OS/XMB UI. They may use Move in the apps only.

I really don't like the "Does Everything" pitch. At some point, Sony needs to say and show "We are best in something" when opportunity arises.

I'm just glad everyone is having fun with this thread . Its the way I meant it to be, as I was affraid people would fight and argue over why these things are correct and the other is wrong. So thank you for enjoying the thread and taking it for a laugh.

When you believe you have the superior product, you don't have to bend or break things as much.

If you have a superior product, you don't have to spin your PR to the point of ridiculous.

Nevertheless, Sony deserves an award for the most retarded PR department ever. The PS3 is a great product and is probably the best console when looking at a console features beyond gaming. But its a travesty that the PS3 gets hampered with PR department thats makes anyone with a bit of common sense cringe.

I can't see me buying either as I own both consoles. To me Kinect and Move simply represent high priced accessories delivered to the current consoles to serve as a way to recoup the initial investments into both techologies that will be ultimately incorporated into next gen consoles at much cheaper costs to consumers.

Last edited by a moderator:
And yet that might actually be the best implementation for an FPS.

Not much of a shock what this thread is turning into.
I would think quicker aiming and more accuracy would be the best implementation for an FPS with motion controls. I guess I must be old-fashioned. :LOL:

Yeah, it's NOT much of a shock what this thread is turning into.

The PS3 has always been capable of having the most accurate and quickest aiming FPS control scheme, it's a shame only UT3 uses it.

I think Lucid_Dreamer meant PS Move can be used to control both casual and core games because of its precision and versatility. The same scheme can cover slow and fast movement accurately under any condition.

However, it is probably more apt to see Kinect as a long term project. Some of it's shortcomings can be addressed with better camera, better software or even using additional controllers over time. I expect it to be integrated tightly into the 360 OS UI.

PS Move will shine with more innovative applications, and more experienced developers in the short term. In the long run, Sony can update different parts independently but I'm not sure if Sony will integrate Move into the OS/XMB UI. They may use Move in the apps only.

I really don't like the "Does Everything" pitch. At some point, Sony needs to say and show "We are best in something" when opportunity arises.

The upgrade path for Sony is simple. When they get the cost of Depth cameras down (or find a supplier with a better price than Primesense at this moment) and they can trust that it is as good as or better than PSEye in every way (resolution and capture rate wise too) then they can upgrade PSEye to a PSEye+depth (WIP name ;)).

Yes, dual PSEye lens (for stereoscopic 3D) + fast and higher res depth sensing (for 3D imaging + ability to see in the dark). It should be at least 60fps. Would be interesting to see how the CPU deal with the load. The rest can stay the same although intuitively I think they may want to consider a split DS3.

Im curious to see how the next gen turns out with these motion controllers being released now. Especially in the case of Kinect, one of its biggest selling points is that its new and unseen before. When the next gen comes along and they stick with an evolution of Kinect as a control method this wont be the case and they will be back to square one. They may introduce move style controllers as an enhancement, and i expect Sony to go for a depth cam to enhance move, in which case we will be back to having little difference between the two and software that is nothing really new, just improved.

If a product's only selling on account of it being new, it's just a gimmick. Next-gen, motion controls will be integrated across all platforms and will be used because they are valuable additions to sticks and buttons, not because they are a fad. Just as dual-sticks once upon a time were novel, but are now a staple of gaming.

Back