Fight Night Champion

I urge you to go back, put it in, and play through the training a few times, maybe even do the heavy bag combo mini-game with the analog sticks. It is a considerable improvement over FNR4 for fluid fighting.

Scott - Here's that first person view I was telling you about. It starts around 1:19ish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFRgcruF-zs

Yeah, after so much of you guys keep telling that FNR4>>FNR3, I really have to check it out again I guess....I am a little bit surprised about your opinion guys, I will see...

Yeah, after so much of you guys keep telling that FNR4>>FNR3, I really have to check it out again I guess....I am a little bit surprised about your opinion guys, I will see...

Well, the thing is how fluid it is, to me. I can throw a flurry of punches (within reason) much faster than I otherwise would using buttons w/out messing up. Granted, there are a few accuracy issues with the analog sticks, on occasion I'll get a punch I didn't intend to throw, but it rarely has a significant impact on my performance since I'm still generally throwing with the arm I wanted to.

After I spent about an hour with it, I felt like I was really good. After I spent about an hour doing the training mini-games (over time) I felt like I was a beast. Really going through career is the best way (IMO) to get familiar with the controls, and it'll make you pretty good with the controls. Then you just have to get down a few solid strategies and go online!

All boxing games are typically fundamentally flawed. First, the KO and KD system is often backwards. KOs and KD happen more more readily early with the chances of either going down the later you get into the fight. The worst time to get hit with an opponent's best punch is round 1. They are fresh and their focus and punching power is augmented with the intial rush of adrenaline that most fighter experience at the beginning of a fight. Thereby a fighter is more readily take advantage of a mistake and hit with much more power than would be possible later in the match when the adrenaline's effects has worn off and fatigue has set in.

Second, until FN implements a robust feint system, the counter system will always be broken. Feinting is an important part of boxing even though its a skill not readily apparent when watching it. In reality if you're faced by an overly aggressive boxer that just wants to counter, you just feint him into throwing counters and counter punching yourself. Your feints will discourage him from trying to counter everytime you try to punch and you'll have better success hitting him with lead punches.

Drastically, up the chances of flash KOs especially early in the fight and implement a good feint system and FN will mirror real boxing more closely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with your points Dobwal, but I do think Round 4 was pretty good with early KOs. If you could land a counter punch, uppercut or hook, early in the fight, you could get a stun without having to do much damage to set it up. Uppercuts and hooks off the bob and weave were pretty deadly when you had a full stamina bar behind them. I know that playing online I'd get stunned on the first punch of the fight if the other guy managed a bob and weave counter, which was common. It could definitely be better, and your point about feints is 100% spot on.

All boxing games are typically fundamentally flawed. First, the KO and KD system is often backwards. KOs and KD happen more more readily early with the chances of either going down the later you get into the fight. The worst time to get hit with an opponent's best punch is round 1. They are fresh and their focus and punching power is augmented with the intial rush of adrenaline that most fighter experience at the beginning of a fight. Thereby a fighter is more readily take advantage of a mistake and hit with much more power than would be possible later in the match when the adrenaline's effects has worn off and fatigue has set in.

Second, until FN implements a robust feint system, the counter system will always be broken. Feinting is an important part of boxing even though its a skill not readily apparent when watching it. In reality if you're faced by an overly aggressive boxer that just wants to counter, you just feint him into throwing counters and counter punching yourself. Your feints will discourage him from trying to counter everytime you try to punch and you'll have better success hitting him with lead punches.

Drastically, up the chances of flash KOs especially early in the fight and implement a good feint system and FN will mirror real boxing more closely.

This all sounds very good to us boxing fans, however, it's not smart for business in any way, so it really won't happen :(

This all sounds very good to us boxing fans, however, it's not smart for business in any way, so it really won't happen :(

That's why I'm hoping for a "Realism" setting that can be adjusted. Seems like it wouldn't be too hard to make adjustments to stamina, punch resistance and punching power using the slider system EA has in all their titles. A feint system could work in an arcade or sim title. I'm hoping, anyway.

Most gamers in America maybe.

Throwing 50-80 punches in 3 minutes, for 36 minutes, in combination with upper body movement, will make anyone tired. Of course, you don't have to punch as hard as an actual boxer, but I'd guess that is beyond the fitness level of the majority of people anywhere in the world, not just Americans. Shadow boxing is a great workout, even for people that are very fit.

To be honest, I'm not sure why they'd use that logic to prevent them from adding a special game mode. You could have 4 round fights with difficulty scaling so people can find an appropriate workout level to start at. But I can see the idea that if you wanted a sim style game with championship fights, then most people wouldn't be able to do it. But why would a Move or Kinect mode have to match the controller based game in intensity?

Back