Motorstorm 3 dev: "Racing genre is stuck in a rut"

Well all I know is I picked up DiRT 2 this week (waitied a while ;)) and although it may not have evolved the genre... it pretty damned well honed it to a fine point... Amazing game; so polished in so many ways and offers so damned much in the ways to approach the game and keep you coming back for more. they then tie it all together in a pretty package and add fun racing for the bow on top.

Didn't you have the idea that developers re-use the same open worlds? So rather than recreating New York for instance as an example Rockstar could use Liberty city and make a racing game inside that game world.
Well that's what the Midnight Club series is for. They did come out with Los Angeles about 2 years ago but that didn't make any headway because of it's lack of options I think.

I think the reason racing games, at the start of this gen, are lacking is because of a bad transition into current-gen gaming. Like many other previously famous video-game brands, developers were having a hard time creating good racing games with the wealth of content/options that were included in the PS2/Xbox era. You get a NFS, WRC, and MC with less vehicles, less tracks, no splitscreen (thinking online would make up for that), and less in-game settings/options to start a race with.

I think nowadays it has to do with an over-saturation of racing-games releasing around the same time, now the amount of content isn't much of a problem. But I'm a bit surprised though, I thought Blur was better than Split Second, and both are multiplats that didn't sell well. MNR was PS3 only and that did decent sales.

I don't think it's a lack innovation as much as it's just not as popular compared shooters and open-world games. I think it's just a shift in popularity, like 2D side-scrollers were popular at a certain time but everybody of every developer trying to do the same thing, and the it's gonna happen again when everybody gets tired of shooters and move-on to something else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's what the Midnight Club series is for. They did come out with Los Angeles about 2 years ago but that didn't make any headway because of it's lack of options I think.

It might also have been hurt by the fact that the GTA4 engine (especially in a fast paced racing game) is very hard on the eyes due to the blur filter. Not sure if this was as bad on the Xbox360 but on the PS3 I found the eye strain pretty nasty.

Cheers

CliffyB: "The future of racing is RPGs".

This is what racing game makers should focus on. Imagine this.....

a space flight racing RPG sim. You have a ship like the millennium falcon. You start off on one star system and your objective is to make it to another star system. In process, you have to collect items, upgrade your ship w/ enhancements, evade pirates, do some trading, navigate hostile(plasma storms, colliding asteroids, etc.....some what like the show "the amazing race".

This game would require reflexes and coordination like any racing game(evade pirates, dodge asteroids to through a asteroid field), but also require tactics and strategy(evade traps, decide on whether going through badlands, or circumventing it but by going by a longer route, use of cloaking)

The races would probably be little bit longer, like maybe 15 to 30 minutes.

Even though gave examples for a space flight sim race game, I think a lot of those ideas could work for a purely land based one.

It's pretty rare to see a racing game on a top 10 sales list. I think the thing is that casual-friendly racers are just getting rare. Like as in racing games made for people to play in the same room in split-screen and that don't require deep knowledge of the subtleties of the physics engine.

OTOH you would expect that something like the Codemasters racing games would sell really well. They have a good amount of innovation wrapped up in shiny graphics and arcadey-sim handling. I would think that those are the easiest types of racing games to sell to the general public.

As for shooters getting popular, I think the reason is that you don't see a lot of pure shooters that sell based on their single player/co-op. Either you have stuff like COD or Halo giving a multiplayer-centric fragging experience or you see stuff like Bioshock, Borderlands, or even Mass Effect that are basically RPG's that you can shoot stuff in.

It's become a little bit more diverse. I guess the idea is that it's funner to shoot stuff if you can track your on or offline experience and rewards and whatnot. Perhaps racing games should add an OCD component like that to make them more popular. The hard part about building up levels, abilities, etc in a racing game is that you have to justify it all with some sort of story and when was the last time you were impressed with the writing in a racing game?

What hasn't helped IMO is the propensity this gen to accept the tradeoff between graphics and framerate far more readily than ever before. It seems nothing is locked at 30 and pretty much every game is happy with drops to the mid twenties every so often. And IMO racing games are the one genre which is most affected by framerate. GRID and FUEL and NFS Shift and Race Pro are all examples (and not the only ones) which accept sub-30 framerates to a greater or lesser extent, and the experience declines as a result. Playing Burnout Paradise or GT5P back to back with these demonstrates the huge variation. The movement speed in racing games exacerbates the lower framerate much more than in an FPS IMO.

Not that Joe Averagegamer understands that, but maybe he feels it in those games seeming "sluggish" or "hard to control" or some variation of those descriptions.

I mentioned the graphics. Physics I don't think affects most gamers, to whom GT3 was 'perfect' and who won't be interested to buy GT5 on account of improved physics. Gameplay on the other hand hasn't much evolved and hasn't room to. What's different from Forza or GT versus their predecessors? Whatever car-collecting "career mode" mechanics you have, the end result is driving the same (sort) of cars around the same tracks, just like last gen. Compare that to prerrenial games like FIFA which have subtle progressions buyers get board with, but also complete engine overhauls from time to time that lead to better games. Because the football genre is so far from realistic, there's plenty more room to improve, so there's reason to buy FIFA this gen versus last, and reason to buy it again next gen. Same with shooters, which are much bigger in scope and variety now than last gen, but going forward will there be any improvements to keep the genre alive? Whereas last gen racing got pretty-much nailed and anyone who spent weeks and weeks on GT will already have had a very filling racing experience - do they really want that same experience again or something new? Racers are equivalent to formulaic sequels. How many Die Hard's or Rocky's will the public care to see at the cinema if every one is broadly the same as those already seen?

GT4 was a major engine overhaul compared to GT3 and there was three times the cars and tracks, I think what happened was that some gamers did not like the progression of the physics giving them more penalties when before they could get away with murder.

Forza is just a GT copy cat like Sega GT before, it does not help that Forza devs have not really taken their time like the company they are trying to imitate or really trying to make the games they make stand out much.

Biggest difference with GT5 current gen versus last gen (including perfect GT3) is that appart from graphics, physics, gameplay tweaks there are going to be a larger number of AI rivals with expected sophisticated AI routines as well as the inclusion of a more believable day to night racing transition to increase the challenge.

Driving a car in real life is just not really going to change much because there are things you just cannot do in real life compared to a sim like or arcade style racing game, its too bad Hollywood did not understand that almost ten years ago when they were making The Fast and The Furious considering that the article (Esquire magazine) the movie was based on, the racers were not using nitrous yet they came to the conclusion that in order to be different or stand out as a movie that they needed nitrous and not driver skill (the movie is still good though), not that nitrous is bad, its just not practical in alot of races or we would be seeing rocket racing circuits.

Gran Turismo, Motorstorm, Wipeout and Ridge Racer from a traditional console first party perspective are very important games that help push the technology and the genre forward... even though Ridge Racer has been insulted for not being realistic this gen reguardless of the fact that its not supposed to be the Playstation 3 needs another Ridge Racer sequel hopefully one that either eliminates nitrous or just has it as an optional circuit.

Third party racing games however is where we can find some companies having questionable practices, yearly NFS, burnout games?? we really don't need yearly updates even though a year is a long time, the racing audience can grow weary or tired and next thing you know we have all these racers that fail to stand out.

CliffyB: "The future of racing is RPGs".

This is what racing game makers should focus on. Imagine this.....

a space flight racing RPG sim. You have a ship like the millennium falcon. You start off on one star system and your objective is to make it to another star system. In process, you have to collect items, upgrade your ship w/ enhancements, evade pirates, do some trading, navigate hostile(plasma storms, colliding asteroids, etc.....some what like the show "the amazing race".

This game would require reflexes and coordination like any racing game(evade pirates, dodge asteroids to through a asteroid field), but also require tactics and strategy(evade traps, decide on whether going through badlands, or circumventing it but by going by a longer route, use of cloaking)

The races would probably be little bit longer, like maybe 15 to 30 minutes.

Even though gave examples for a space flight sim race game, I think a lot of those ideas could work for a purely land based one.

What you are describing has already been done with SEGA's last gen and current gen DD remake of Outrun 2 and Coast to Coast, thats the realm of arcade style racing going back to the 80s with no circuit racing or laps system, imagine how the mainstream press received those games by making unfair, missinformed comparisons to regular circuit racers and constantly mentioning how you could not tune your car.

OTOH since you made a star wars reference think of all of the Star Wars Episode One Pod Racers made in early last gen and how noone even with this generation's perceived dev tools being mature has attempted making a SWEO Pod Racer title out of that then again LucasArts is a shadow of its former self so far this gen.

It's pretty rare to see a racing game on a top 10 sales list. I think the thing is that casual-friendly racers are just getting rare. Like as in racing games made for people to play in the same room in split-screen and that don't require deep knowledge of the subtleties of the physics engine.

OTOH you would expect that something like the Codemasters racing games would sell really well. They have a good amount of innovation wrapped up in shiny graphics and arcadey-sim handling. I would think that those are the easiest types of racing games to sell to the general public.

It's become a little bit more diverse. I guess the idea is that it's funner to shoot stuff if you can track your on or offline experience and rewards and whatnot. Perhaps racing games should add an OCD component like that to make them more popular. The hard part about building up levels, abilities, etc in a racing game is that you have to justify it all with some sort of story and when was the last time you were impressed with the writing in a racing game?

That may also have to do with what kind of coverage or if the game is worthy of getting coverage, EA pays for getting the word out on NFS but alot of the gaming media seems to have a screwed up mentality when it comes to covering racing game genre as opposed to the shooting or killing genre.

The best example I can give is take a bunch of print gaming magazines of the last 5 years and line them up to see what stories made the covers or were put on the cover, in websites its harder to do this but its there as well.

Back in the 90s with SEGA's Virtua Racing, Daytona USA arcade games there was a learning curve, there was also a learning curve with Ridge Racer but it was really rare to find 8 player link set ups but Sega's Daytona USA (they could have called it Virtua Stock Car Racing) was a major profit maker and you would always see crowds around those games with people trying to beat each other, trash talk, etc

When Sega's Model 3 arcade board yielded the barely known SCUD Race/Sega Super GT and Daytona 2, Sega went towards pushing the technology by making the sit down experience more dynamic with hydrolics and even though these games had more sophisticated graphics, physics, gameplay, AI, etc because of that approach you almost never saw 8 player link ups in Arcades (aside from the growing prices)

That was a different era though and alot of franchises died in the dark because of trademark license or sports franchises, it does not help that for some reason there is a lack of imagination in alot of the current non-realistic racing games out there.

Something partly off topic and partly on topic.

It has been suggested in this thread that one of the reasons racing games are dying is because there isnt enough variety or story as opposed to shooters.

I doubt thats the reason only. CoD4 for example had one of the shortest SP campaigns in the FPS genre. Yet it was a hit with people?

Why? Because of the online multiplayer mode. There story, set pieces and the expected variety found in SP modes were absent.

I feel that Wipeout HD+FURY was the corresponding game in the racing genre to COD4 because it has some of the best and most fun mulriplayer modes I have ever played. It really sets it apart. But as I have already said it was a hidden gem that many gamers missed because of concept but never tried it to see what it was about.

I believe this is where GT5 might be able to maintain a large crowd of fans and ton of replayability. The multiplayer mode is where it is at, and if it manages to capture the hearts of the car fan community and add a newly invited community in it will become huge.

The problem with most racers I think is because they isolate the experience a lot in the SP modes and playing against soulless opponents becomes tiring.

A racing sim with a dead serious attention to detail like GT can connect the car fanatics online in a similar fashion car fanatics socialize with each other in real life to talk, show off or race against each other. Socialization is a key feature this time

Forza 3 failed a lot on this because with its lack of certain content and its effort to absorb the casual market it wasnt taken seriously. Even the video ads they made to promote the title had a focus on car paint jobs. They had some irrelevant people talking about how great the paint job feature is like artists, decorators and in general people who didnt care about the game for real. F3 did not have an identity

GT5 in addition appears to offer post-purchase services as well through GTTV or events. Some of you will remember how they combined the GT5:p Demo with the unveiling of the new Subaru and Nissan Skyline at the Tokyo game show.

It is also important how you present the content to communicate ways to use it and not simply put it in. It appears that GT5 offers some form of freedom such as testing your car in Test tracks with others and driving freely to test performance. This is offered as an open feature.

The best racing/driving game ever is still Rallisport Challenge 2 on the original Xbox. It was like floating on a silver cloud of joy between the beautiful, sunlight bathed mountains of arcade and sim.

So much time got wasted on comparing GT4 and Forza's graphics when RC2 had already transcended the plane on which they both existed.

Good or bad, most FPSs have some form of character. The sterility of racing sims, and the utter lack of freedom and narrowness of reward they offer players means there isn't room for lots of different blockbuster franchises.

Forza is just a GT copy cat

Yeah, the way Forza copied car damage, dynamic racing line guidance, online play and a huge array of online community features from GT5 was just blatant!

I have been wanting to reply but had no time... racing games have had issues with innovation. The pace has been sloooow. Stuff like rewind, auto-break, etc are the "big" things but the rate of adoption and new stuff is slow. Part of it is from the hardcore racing fans, like flight sim fans, that mock everything that isn't hard hardcore.

The lack of LARGE online games is a good example of how the genre just isn't getting attention. And big brands, like NASCAR, have really crap games.

Split/Second had GOOD ideas, but average execution. Blur, to me, was just a mess. A good way to put a lot of effort into a flawed idea.

There are good racing games out there. GRiD did well, DiRT1 did as well. FM2 and FM3 sold well, so did prologue. Burnout Paradise sold well--but it really offended a lot of fans (I think the title sucks). The NFS did well at the beginning of the generation but were crap.

The issue with a lot of the poor titles is QUALITY.

MotorStorm, especially 2, had issues. They can waawaa about it, but they didn't quite get what gamers wanted.

We have seen the same issues with shooters. People, and developers, cry over why CoD or Halo are popular but they miss the point. While they are churning out TechABC or some new fangled angle they lack in features, polish, and core gameplay is slightly off. Far Cry 2 is an example of a really, REALLY amazing engine--and great map editor--but the story/gameplay is poor and the MP map editor is destroyed by poor modes.

I don't think racers are doing poorer than shooters, I just think the market has fewer releases, hence fewer great titles to rise to the top.

Oh, and why is it we don't have a KART game on the 360 worth a darn?

If they wanted to sell some games why not drop the tuner crap and make a game people care about?

Heck, a GREAT NASCAR game with the dev polish of a Forza or GT would be a 5M+ seller.

No matter I'm pretty impressed by their work at a tech level I feel like if some studio like BlackRock goes bankrupt it wouldbe somehow deserved, how could they pass on local two players mode on Split second and worse Pure which may have a broader appeal? It's a bit of a crazy decision imho.

MotorStorm, especially 2, had issues. They can waawaa about it, but they didn't quite get what gamers wanted.

Actually, I think it's the other way around. The real Motorstorm fans got pretty much what they wanted out of Motorstorm 2 (I know I did), but the large racing crowd was either disappointed by Motorstorm 1, or got enough out of Motorstorm 1 to not care about its sequel (I've talked to enough people who got the game along with the PS3 in a Motorstorm + Resistance bundle for instance, and these are the main replies on why they weren't interested in Motorstorm 2). I lent my copy of Motorstorm 2 to another colleague who got his PS3 more recently however, and he loves it.

That doesn't mean Motorstorm 2 could have been even better, mind you. But the up to four player splitscreen and far more varied environments were definitely the most important thing people wanted coming from Motorstorm 1, and they fully delivered on that (and yes, they also released a crap demo, and too early - they should have taken one of the most impressive tracks with one of the most impressive time of day settings, like Dusk or Dawn).

I don't think racers are doing poorer than shooters, I just think the market has fewer releases, hence fewer great titles to rise to the top.

Shooters are far more popular than racers, and have been for a long time. It's not just to do with the game type. Even a game like Gran Turismo in its heyday didn't manage to sell as much copies as stuff like Call of Duty or Halo did (and on a smaller userbase), let alone combining the sales of Halo, Gears and Call of Duty with any top three racers in history.

The best evidence I think you can get for this also being a matter of taste, is the huge difference in popularity of the racing genre between the U.S., Japan and the E.U.

Oh, and why is it we don't have a KART game on the 360 worth a darn?

Partly because of the above, and partly because Joyride was turned into being a Kinect title and I think delayed for it. I'm not saying that Joyride is necessarily good, but it's got the potential at least being 1st party.

Heck, a GREAT NASCAR game with the dev polish of a Forza or GT would be a 5M+ seller.

Will be interesting in that respect to see if Gran Turismo's embracing the Nascar licence will make GT5 do better in the U.S. compared to previous GTs.

Erm Arwin Gran Turismo is a bigger selling franchise than the likes of Halo. Gran Turismo 5 will have a far bigger userbase than either Gran Turismo 1 or 3 had because they both were released early in the PS1, PS2 life cycle. So that mytho can be shot down in flames aswell.

Will be interesting in that respect to see if Gran Turismo's embracing the Nascar licence will make GT5 do better in the U.S. compared to previous GTs.
All Gran Turismos sold extremely well in the US. Other than i think GT4 it's as strong in the US as any other region.

Erm Arwin Gran Turismo is a bigger selling franchise than the likes of Halo. Gran Turismo 5 will have a far bigger userbase than either Gran Turismo 1 or 3 had because they both were released early in the PS1, PS2 life cycle. So that mytho can be shot down in flames aswell.

You are mistaken. Something like 56 million copies of the Gran Turismo franchise have been sold, true. That's over three console generations and 10 versions of the game having been released. Something like Halo is well over 35 million for just Halo 1,2 and 3.

All Gran Turismos sold extremely well in the US. Other than i think GT4 it's as strong in the US as any other region.

By April 30, 2008, Gran Turismo 4 had shipped 1.24 million copies in Japan, 2.9 million in North America, 5.77 million in Europe, and 150,000 in Asia for a total of 10.06 million copies.[2] As of June 2008, Gran Turismo 4 has shipped 1.25 million copies in Japan, 2.93 million in North America, 5.85 million in Europe, 70,000 in Southeast Asia, and 80,000 in Korea.[1]

You're right though that GT3 sold much better in the US, but that in itself is not an argument against my opinion that first person shooters have taken over in the US as being the most popular genre - it's much sooner a confirmation.

GT1 was released in 1998 AFAIR. Not exactly early in its life cycle. GT3 continued a legacy of recognition and was released early at a time where the market was super hyped with the PS2 and it was a hardware mover. So it wasnt exactly hindered by a "small userbase".

Some quality titles can benefit when released at a console's early life cycle.

I think one of the biggest reasons for shrinking sales of racing games is that there wasn't any reason for the biggest group of last-gen racing gamers to jump to next-gen and continue playing racing game early on. Microsoft did fairly well with their transition (PGR3 outsold PGR2 and FM2 outsold FM1), but they had never had a huge racing userbase on the first Xbox anyway. Nintendo have grown their userbase exponentially with Mario Kart Wii, but none of the third party developers seem to make an attempt to appeal to that audience.

Which brings us to the biggest audience of last-gen, that is the PS2's one. They were huge on Gran Turismo, Need for Speed and Midnight Club (15M copies sold of the first three games!). Some of them might have jumped in (to 360), but the rest who didn't want that console might not have found enough reasons to buy a PS3 and continue their old gaming habits there. Need for Speed games saw a dramatic drop in quality with Carbon and Underground (according to critics and fans alike). Now there still hasn't been a fully fledged Gran Turismo yet. New franchises, which could potentially appeal to old racing fans, such as Motostorm, Dirt had their share of problems - MS1 for example had a disgusting rubberband AI and no local multiplayer.

Gran Turismo 5 might singlehandedly revive the market, it would be very interesting if that happened!

Then again, maybe shooters, particularly COD, completely stole the thunder and this revival isn't possible anymore. We'll se in a couple of months.

As for me, I still play PGR4 from time to time and that's enough for my purposes - none of demos of other racers on Marketplace convinced me to buy the full version. I might bite FM3 though since it's so cheap nowadays and am also interested in NFS Hot Pursuit as it brings back the good old NFS from 1990s.

You are mistaken. Something like 56 million copies of the Gran Turismo franchise have been sold, true. That's over three console generations and 10 versions of the game having been released. Something like Halo is well over 35 million for just Halo 1,2 and 3.

By April 30, 2008, Gran Turismo 4 had shipped 1.24 million copies in Japan, 2.9 million in North America, 5.77 million in Europe, and 150,000 in Asia for a total of 10.06 million copies.[2] As of June 2008, Gran Turismo 4 has shipped 1.25 million copies in Japan, 2.93 million in North America, 5.85 million in Europe, 70,000 in Southeast Asia, and 80,000 in Korea.[1]

You're right though that GT3 sold much better in the US, but that in itself is not an argument against my opinion that first person shooters have taken over in the US as being the most popular genre - it's much sooner a confirmation.
GT1 sales: 10.85million. GT2 sales:9.37million. GT3 sales:14.89million. GT4 sales:11.05million.

GT4prologue on PS2 sales:1.35million. GT5prologue on PS3 sales:4.84million.

GT5 will very likely be around the sales of the other main titles in the series. I havent a clue what relevance the FPS genre has to the racing genre. The GT series attracts a very wide demographic outside of the hardcore crowd which is why a large part of Sonys advertising is outside of the gaming media. A lot of there marketing is aimed at car enthusiasts sites etc. GT shouldnt be compared to any other racing game when assessing what sales it'l get because it's an iconic franchise.

Its not just racing games (though GT5 will sell over 10million) but a lot of genre's are past their heydays
beat em up's
platformers
adventure
shootemup's
etc

all arent as big as they once were

I think beat 'em ups and platformers sort of merged into action adventure. There are games with varying degrees of each. There's a few pure platformers or pure beat 'em ups as well. Shoot 'em ups became FPS, Platform shooters did as well. As for adventure DS and Wii and Move should be able to provide somewhere for them. Polygons made them ugly and harder to control. The influence of consoles impacted on the controls as well, and I think the writing got worse. The jump to better animation raised costs too much for the market of PC players would weren't too busy playing FPSes.

LBP2 if it does all it claims might be a good platform for the traditional game types.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its not just racing games (though GT5 will sell over 10million) but a lot of genre's are past their heydays
Which is true for other artist mediums too, which all have their fashions. If you're undertaking a commercial venture, there's no point writing disco if the market has moved onto pop, and there's no point writing pop if the in thing is rock.

Back