Yoshida confirms SCE working on new hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Versatil

Newcomer
http://www.develop-online.net/news/35289/Sony-Developers-will-help-build-the-next-PlayStation
SCE studio boss confirms work is underway on 'future platform related activities'

One of the highest-ranking executives at Sony Computer Entertainment has revealed the company is hard at work on future platform developments.

But with former SCE president Ken Kutaragi now out of the picture, Sony is keen to turn to its first-party studios to help make future PlayStation consoles highly accessible for tomorrow’s game creators.

In an exclusive interview with Develop magazine, Sony Worldwide Studios (WWS) boss Shuhei Yoshida candidly explained how Sony has learnt from past mistakes and is now building tech that developers can get the most out of.

“When Ken Kutaragi moved on and Kaz Harai became the president of SCE, the first thing Kaz said was, ‘get World Wide Studios in on hardware development’,” Yoshida said.

“So he wanted developers in meetings at the very beginning of concepting new hardware, and he demanded SCE people talk to us [developers].”

And when asked whether this change in philosophy will be applied to future PlayStation hardware, Yoshida replied: “Yes, we are undergoing many activities that we haven’t yet been talking about in public. Some future platform related activities.”

Yoshida was appointed head of WWS at a time when Sony had endured a stuttering start to the PS3 era, as a number of third-party developers struggled to get enough out of the famously powerful console.

In the full Develop interview – published later this week – Yoshida explains in frank detail how SCE underwent a rescue mission for its first-party studios, bringing together top engineers from around the world to build a universal game engine.

This studio-collaborative philosophy at Sony has remained in place ever since, and was a core pillar of the design ideology for Sony’s new motion controller, PlayStation Move.

“I’m spending more time on the hardware platform,” Yoshida added, “connecting hardware guys to developers. That’s my major role now, and Move is one of those new ways of developing platforms.”

While it's to be expected that all three company's have their next wave of hardware well underway - it is surprising to have one openly admit it and (apparently) speak candidly of their past mistakes.

I look forward to reading the full article.

How many years ago did Sony hand that hardware survey out to developers like nAo et al?
Quite a few years ago I think.

At the time I thought it was input for the PS4, but of course the same input would be valid for the PSP2 as well.

Input from developers? I seriously hope they are not going to ditch cell. Backwards compatibility will be of prime importance next gen.

Sony and MS better just update the GPU and add more ram.

After this year's E3 I can't make a joke about Valve...

Input from developers? I seriously hope they are not going to ditch cell. Backwards compatibility will be of prime importance next gen.

I can't see a reason why any dev would want that! In fact I'd hope devs would say we're familiar with Cell now so please give us more of the same.

I wonder what sort of comments they'd make ref dev tools though.

I think there was some piece from a Japanese site indicating that Sony was currently thinking of taking Cell and turning it into a more standard and higher performing standard multicore PPC processor with the 8/7 SPUs still tacked on for compatibility's sake.

It was hard to read the translation, though, and who knows how much Goto actually knew about what he was saying.

Hmm... I only read an article by him saying that Sony is open to both Cell-like design and a generic design. In fact, they were exploring the latter option when he wrote that article. A Sony exec mentioned that using Intel is too late for this cycle. May be next one. :p

Far more likely this currently relates to PSP2 than PS4.

I can't believe that. PSP2 is probably much further along than 'talking to devs'. This should be PS4, and this kind of comment is suggesting new console hardware is at least 2-3 years off. The PSP2 will either appear next year, or never.

What about a multicore cpu in which each core is a more evolved MIPS R5900 emotion engine CPU + SPU instead of the vector units ?. It would be far stronger in general code than Cell and still capable in floating poing processing as well as being backwards compatible...

I base on the rumour about the new cpu being a multicore one being based on the emotion engine:

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/05/27/larrabee-alive-and-well/

MIPS isn't backwards compatible with the PPU, and I imagine bringing MIPS up to modern standards would be far more expensive than going with an evolved PowerPC/Cell design.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIPS_architecture, the last new standalone MIPS processor came out in 2003. MIPS is still present in embedded cores, but it'd be a weirdly far stretch from what the PS3 is now.

Edit: Of course, the PSP is based on MIPS cores with embedded function acceleration modules added as is the PS2, so Sony definitely has the experience with CPU development around a MIPS core, but it still seems like a weird choice at the present.

Last edited by a moderator:
MIPS isn't backwards compatible with the PPU, and I imagine bringing MIPS up to modern standards would be far more expensive than going with an evolved PowerPC/Cell design.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIPS_architecture, the last new standalone MIPS processor came out in 2003. MIPS is still present in embedded cores, but it'd be a weirdly far stretch from what the PS3 is now.

Edit: Of course, the PSP is based on MIPS cores with embedded function acceleration modules added as is the PS2, so Sony definitely has the experience with CPU development around a MIPS core, but it still seems like a weird choice at the present.

But there is already a MIPS emulator running in the PS3 PPC processor... It would be the contrary: write a PPC emulator in a MIPS 4 Ghz ( for example ) processor...
About MIPS not being evolved since 2003 or less let´s not forget that larrabee was using 1990´s Pentium 1 as general code processor...
IMHO Sony and Toshiba have always made the most poweful per transistor and clock CPUs ( emotion engine had with the two vector units 10 million transistors! ). They only have now to make an easier to program design.

But there is already a MIPS emulator running in the PS3 PPC processor... It would be the contrary: write a PPC emulator in a MIPS 4 Ghz ( for example ) processor...
About MIPS not being evolved since 2003 or less let´s not forget that larrabee was using 1990´s Pentium 1 as general code processor...
IMHO Sony and Toshiba have always made the most poweful per transistor and clock CPUs ( emotion engine had with the two vector units 10 million transistors! ). They only have now to make an easier to program design.

Fair point, and I know there is a thread devoted to the Emotion Engine Redux question.. I'll make my reply there.

The last MIPS Architectures are 74K and 1004K, both released around 2008-2009, though MIPS dint manufacture and sell CPUs in silicon since 2003 doesnt mean development stood still. The 74K even is an OoO CPU, sitting roughly between the ARM Cortex A8 and A9 in performance, and thats all synthesize-able silicon without much optimizations.

But I dont see a chance of getting a MIPS-CPU in a Cell2-Processor, the PowerPC achitecture is very deeply entangled within Cell so that you cant just "emulate" a single element of it and expect good hardware compatibility.
I can't believe that. PSP2 is probably much further along than 'talking to devs'. This should be PS4, and this kind of comment is suggesting new console hardware is at least 2-3 years off. The PSP2 will either appear next year, or never.
I believe we would`ve heard something about it by now if it were to be released next year. Its coming at the earliest at Christmas 2011 IMHO, but I dont believe it will launch before 2012.
If you mean by "appear" that we will be bombarded with marketing next year then I agree.

It would be far stronger in general code than Cell and still capable in floating poing processing as well as being backwards compatible...
What are you talking about?

The MIPS CPU in the EE was absolutely TERRIBLE at general code execution. It was by far the weakest point of the whole PS2, it didn't even have any L2 cache for chrissakes... Not to mention it's absolutely ancient tech by now. Basing anything on it that won't be released until half a human generation has passed after PS2's launch would be ludicrous.

Also, there'd be no advantage in switching to MIPS, they're a 2-bit player these days, their days of glory are far beyond them. The best MIPS can hope to do is ending up in embedded hardware, like logic control systems for machinery, ABS brakes, consumer goods like washing machines or HiFi electronics and so on.

I wonder if this "universal game engine" is only available to 1st party devs, or is it also available to others? I seem to remember some devs saying that if you weren't 1st party, Sony didn't help you that much. Maybe that was only in the early days though.

I doubt it. Lots of people say BC is important but is it? I dont think so. People don't buy a new box to play old games. If they already own the previous console they can still play those games. Sure you got to have 2 machines hooked up but really how many people really make a problem out of that? not a lot.

I certainly doubt somebody would not buy a console because of lack of BC. Afterall you buy a new console to play new consoles. If you want to play old games that bad you might as well stick with your old console.

I wonder if this "universal game engine" is only available to 1st party devs, or is it also available to others? I seem to remember some devs saying that if you weren't 1st party, Sony didn't help you that much. Maybe that was only in the early days though.

Isn't it PhyreEngine?

I doubt it. Lots of people say BC is important but is it? I dont think so. People don't buy a new box to play old games. If they already own the previous console they can still play those games. Sure you got to have 2 machines hooked up but really how many people really make a problem out of that? not a lot.

I certainly doubt somebody would not buy a console because of lack of BC. Afterall you buy a new console to play new consoles. If you want to play old games that bad you might as well stick with your old console.

The more games that are networked, though, the more of an ongoing life those games will have. In the case where Sony is realizing ongoing revenue from networked services (Home, MMOs, etc.), the more impetus Sony will have to not kill those streams with a new generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back