Win7 Boot Delay Problem

I'd like to try that, Richard, but the program's website says basically nothing about what the program does, or how it does it. "Low-level patent-pending frustration-detecting driver technology" sounds more like hocus pocus nonsense than a serious, useful application to me.

It records every process and services that loads during boot up and records the time for each process to finish loading. It also gives recommendation on what process to pause or delay.

Just to clarify, it happens on ALL stock windows 7 installations, as someone (who should be slapped with a wet newspaper) decided that it would be a great idea to have an animated logo video (640x480 16-bit) displayed, while the system does nothing.

But you can disable that video-boot, liked I posted..and shave off boot-time.
You will just get a blank screen, instead of a window..and a wait.

I tried that soluto its like bootvis but very user friendly plus it gives suggestion (it told me to remove nvidia display properties extension to save 1 second ;) )

seriously though grall you should try it

Ok, I had it halt on bootup this morning, and it stops at the last entry, "classpnp.sys". Some quick googling shows that slow boots due to this file/program/driver/whatever isn't totally unknown. Not sure what - if anything - can be done about it though, as it's a pretty integral part of the OS and doesn't seem user configurable in any way. ;)

Just out of curiosity, how many USB devices do you have plugged in when you boot. Especially, do you have any devices plugged into cable extenders or USB hubs?

I've seen systems with intermittent boot problems when USB devices are connected to the system via extender cable or hub (including those in Monitors, keyboards, etc.).

Regards,
SB

Mouse, keyboard, webcam, printer, thumbdrive (a micro-memory stick reader actually) and the I/O pad for my Polar running watch. There's a hub built into the keyboard (logitech G15), but nothing attached to it.

Go on a driver and firmware updating spree.
I've updated mobo BIOS several times in the past, but I'm not sure I've reflashed it since switching to Win7... I'm fetching the latest from Asus' joke of a fileserver - the BIOS is 1.6MB and it'll take 4 minutes (!) to download.

V56k modem speeds in 2010 FTW!

My windows drivers I switch out regularly, but this has never made any difference so far.

It's too bad the problem is intermittent. Otherwise I'd suggest booting with nothing other than Keyboard and Mouse plugged in.

BTW - try from different Asus servers. It's been quite a few years since I had an Asus MB but I remember sometimes the US Asus site would take forever to download a BIOS file while the Asus Taiwan site would download almost instantly.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, I had to do that the last time I updated because the international server would just time out over and over or not respond at all. The chinese site however was quite fast, no waiting at all from what I can recall.

However this time it at least kept chugging - albeit very slowly; top DL speed was like 4.4kB/s - and I just read some stuff on another webpage while it downloaded. It all went OK, I could unzip the bios just fine and put it on the thumbdrive. Now I just gotta remember to hammer the "Del" key next time I reboot, and then re-do all my setup config options... :???:

And it might not even fix anything, probably. Meh.

Did you try MS Sysinternals' Process Monitor? I would turn on the boot logging function, reboot the machine, repeat until it is logging during a slowdown and then look for errors with the powerful filter mechanic.

My suggestion may sound silly, but it is a bug in Windows 7 that using a solid colour background (not an image) makes booting slower for some people.

Weirdest thing I ever heard, but I actually have this issue on one of my PCs. It was recommended to change the desktop background to a solid color for Diablo 2, which I did, and then all of a sudden Win 7 started taking an extra 10-15 seconds to login.

Back