So Long HDMI: New Standard for A/V Uses Ethernet Cables

Or the consumers that already have dozens of devices/cables using existing standards.
Yes, this is a really big issue. Most of us aren't too keen on replacing TV or projector, receiver, satellite decoder, DVR and so on costing many hundreds or even several thousands of € just because a new effing type of connector appeared on the market.

This isn't going to save anyone any money for a long long time assuming it even catches on.
Yeah, well, I read this new standard is supposedly able to carry device power as well (probably only a limited amount, say enough for your decoder). So I wanna see what happens when some knucklehead joe schmoe plugs that HDBaseT RJ45 cable into his PC, or his router instead of his TV... Pretty sure things will fry good if there's a supply voltage now on that connector in addition to just data.

They really should change the connector to something that can't be plugged into the wrong gear and possibly wrecking it.

Yeah, well, I read this new standard is supposedly able to carry device power as well (probably only a limited amount, say enough for your decoder). So I wanna see what happens when some knucklehead joe schmoe plugs that HDBaseT RJ45 cable into his PC, or his router instead of his TV... Pretty sure things will fry good if there's a supply voltage now on that connector in addition to just data.

They really should change the connector to something that can't be plugged into the wrong gear and possibly wrecking it.

Older equipment doesn't fry if you plug it into a switch that supports power over ethernet either.

Using standard UTP cabling and RJ45 connectors just makes sense to me. It's cheap, unobtrusive, can easily go anywhere and it is already widely deployed so you can reuse existing stretches. Being able to cover 300 feet distances is a great improvement as well.

Older equipment doesn't fry if you plug it into a switch that supports power over ethernet either.

Using standard UTP cabling and RJ45 connectors just makes sense to me. It's cheap, unobtrusive, can easily go anywhere and it is already widely deployed so you can reuse existing stretches. Being able to cover 300 feet distances is a great improvement as well.

And some new standard emerging doesn't mean HDMI and the like will vanish overnight. Noone's forced to upgrade. Heck to this day you can still use a D-SUB VGA connector for most anything if you really want to.

And some new standard emerging doesn't mean HDMI and the like will vanish overnight. Noone's forced to upgrade. Heck to this day you can still use a D-SUB VGA connector for most anything if you really want to.

You won't be able to cover 300 feet. Cat6 can only do 10GigE over about 100 ft. I think.

Sounds a bit silly to me, why not just go MM fiber and forget about EMI forever? 10GigE optics are really inexpensive these days.

Could you link me to those "inexpensive" 10G XFP's?
I use those on a daily basis (I work for an ISP) and I havn't seen a 10G XFP I would call cheap yet?

In my book they range from +$500 (for 1) to +$2000...if you want something that is not of a shady grade?

Could you link me to those "inexpensive" 10G XFP's?
I use those on a daily basis (I work for an ISP) and I havn't seen a 10G XFP I would call cheap yet?

In my book they range from +$500 (for 1) to +$2000...if you want something that is not of a shady grade?

If you buy Finisar SFP+ (not XFP) in volume you can expect to pay in the order of <$100/unit. Which gets probably cheaper if you buy millions to build your new TVs or A/V equipment. I don't have a link but trust me on this.

Cisco/Juniper/F10 XFPs cost an arm and a leg, for other reasons.

I noticed the first Sony equipment is already out there supporting this new standard:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/06/sonys-2010-es-line-includes-3d-and-excludes-a-lot-of-retailers/

At the top of the line the STR-DA5600ES ships in September for $2,000 and is able to automatically calibrate audio for speaker types (like last year's), plus locations and angles, function as a DLNA Live Audio server itself and stream audio and video to other rooms via HDMI (six in, two out) or CAT5e.

It's Dailytech, most likely the story is a fabrication anyway.

Why would tech manufacturers, as well as retail, give up both the much ballyhood encryption in HDMI, and the high priced HDMI cable markups? To this day I'm pretty sure both major consoles refusing to include an HDMI cable is a nod to retail.

Why would tech manufacturers, as well as retail, give up both the much ballyhood encryption in HDMI, and the high priced HDMI cable markups? To this day I'm pretty sure both major consoles refusing to include an HDMI cable is a nod to retail.

Did you even read my post? The first hardware is already out there.

The cable doesn't enforce the encryption, the protocols and the chipsets do. This thing is legit. Just check the official websites etc.

Did you even read my post? The first hardware is already out there.

Dailytech acts like it's a new set in stone industry wide standard though. I'll believe it when I see it. Seems more like a few manufacturers testing something out (even if I agree, those manufacturers are the biggest, especially the two Korean ones). Why is there not widespread reporting of this, like there was HDMI, for example? I mean, for all we know LG and Samsung may just put it on a few models.

Again it's Dailytech, the site is terrible.

The cable doesn't enforce the encryption, the protocols and the chipsets do. This thing is legit. Just check the official websites etc.

What websites? What am I looking for? I went to Samsung, yeah thats a big site, nothing on the front page...am I supposed to be looking at newest TV's specs? never mind lol/

If this is true though, sounds really great.

I'm just curious how they'll deal with bandwidth increases. Haven't seen anything about 40GB over copper yet, which is the next spec up from 10GB. HDMI 1.4 is already pushing 10GB with 3D. Maybe TV resolutions will stabilize at 1080p for a long time, so bandwidth will stay relatively the same.

They could send video data (partially) compressed, do the final expansion step in the TV...

I noticed the first Sony equipment is already out there supporting this new standard:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/06/sonys-2010-es-line-includes-3d-and-excludes-a-lot-of-retailers/

At the top of the line the STR-DA5600ES ships in September for $2,000 and is able to automatically calibrate audio for speaker types (like last year's), plus locations and angles, function as a DLNA Live Audio server itself and stream audio and video to other rooms via HDMI (six in, two out) or CAT5e.

http://www.thinkdigit.com/TVs/HDBaseT-a-new-AV-standard-developed-by_4960.html

A new AV standard - HDBaseT - has been jointly developed by the surreptitiously formed industry group that comprises: LG Electronics, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Samsung Electronics, and Valens Semiconductor

Sony also has HDMI wireless.

Scott_Arm mentioned Intel's Light peak but it appears as if Apple has a previous patent on it concealed as an application.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/26/exclusive-apple-dictated-light-peak-creation-to-intel-could-be/

that not only is Apple complicit in the development of Light Peak, but the company actually brought the concept to Intel and asked them to create it. More to the point, the new standard will play a hugely important role in upcoming products from Cupertino.

According to documents we've seen and conversations we've had, Apple had reached out to Intel as early as 2007 with plans for an interoperable standard which could handle massive amounts of data and "replace the multitudinous connector types with a single connector (FireWire, USB, Display interface)."

Based on the documents we had a look at, the short-term plans seem to involve a one-size-fits-all solution (somehow allowing for multiple connections but avoiding "double dongles") which would enable users to connect a variety of devices into a single Light Peak port, while slightly longer-term plans will mean Light Peak obviates the need for almost every type of connector you use today. Translation: Apple products in the near future could come equipped with only a Light Peak port (or ports) to handle your networking, display driving, and general connectivity.

Reducing the number of plugs as well as the supporting hardware reduces cost. The Sony NGP may use the same design logic. One interface cable for power and high speed wired network with RJ45 plug and power at the other end. Video out could be via WiFI or some form of wired network port; quality of the resulting video would depend on the method used with HDBaseT being better than wireless HDMI.

HDBaseT can also probably provide enough power for a portable. It might be interesting to discover if new Android handhelds are going to have a common HDBaseT plug, it probably won't be RJ45 style.

PS3 shown using HDBaseT http://www.pcworld.com/article/216331/hdbaset_shows_off_multimedia_megacable.html

Detailed description of HDBaseT

http://www.cepro.com/article/inside_hdbaset_technology_a_better_hdmi_extender/

Last edited by a moderator:
Citation needed ... even WHDI is uncompressed (they just use more redundancy on more significant bitplanes) so I seriously doubt this is.

Sorry, I was relating what I remembered of HDBaseT from a year ago and that was relayed by a news reporter so he could have incorrectly described the process. If I remember correctly it was a company in Israel that developed it and the standard was recently developed with help from SONY, LG, Samsung and Valens (Israel).

It's stated as uncompressed but the process of multiplexing the data on the cat 5 signal lines may in it's self allow for more data/sec. Early articles on this mentioned leveraging DSP chipsets already in some hardware platforms to reduce the cost of HDBaseT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apple just launched new Macbooks with an Intel Light Peak port branded as Thunderbolt. That's a 10Gbps duplex link. Should be interesting, because it looks like they have no interest in adopting USB 3.0, and it can also be used to drive your display. You can daisy-chain devices.

That seems rather anemic considering DP 1.2 is already over 17 Gbps with 4 lanes (4.32 Gbps each lane and each DP port can support 1-4 lanes).

That obviously offers more utility than USB 3.0 but is a rather massive downgrade for display purposes. With 10 Gbps at most you can daisy chain 2x 1920x1200 (4.62 or 5.81 Gbps depending on v-blank method) monitors. And couldn't daisy chain multiple higher res montiors.

Regards,
SB

Back