Playstation Move Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like halving an HDTV ? :)

I should say I didn't check out the disc golf tutorial. The beach volleyball tutorial is impressive. It shows how to underhand serve, spike serve, dive, tip, block, double block, smash and more. The game tracks your timing, speed and direction; yet feels natural. You can vary you moves (e.g. Swing you arms while blocking, switch to tip midair when opponents jump to block your spike) to achieve better effect. Didn't notice any lag.

The game deserves a better name, fer crying out loud.

I gave the Move with Start the Party and the demo disc to a friend's 8 year old kid as a birthday present. The boy nor the parents had not even heard of the Move before. Sony should really start marketing this, and not rely just on word of mouth like they did with Eye Toy.

Start the Party was a huge success among the kids. Surprisingly the 8 year old boy liked the parachute / fan minigame the most and picked up the correct way to control it almost immediately, while the adults struggled. The 5 yo girl liked the hair cutting best :)
The multiplayer modes were a lot of fun, this is definitely a game that should be played with kids, it's really not a party game for adults like singstar and should not be reviewed as such.

The Sports Champions demo was also very convincing, so much that they said they'd definitely go and buy the full game and possibly another Move controller next week. They were impressed by the precision of the device, even though I don't think they have much experience with the Wii.

I've spent most of my time with Tumble, damn it's addictive :devilish:

Bought 2 Move controlles, Start the Party and Sports Champions. £105. Bit pricey...but couldn't wait...and if I'd bought it at RRP it would have been £130.

Start the Party has been great fun with friends - nothing like this on the Wii. The augmented reality is just brilliant.

Yea i've played alot of kinect so far. I'm a lazy man tho so I don't like the sound of getting hurt playing video games ! I'm going to wait and see what prices look like and mabye find a used move controller in a few weeks. Like i said $90 bucks is a bit steep for me.

Just get a single controller and download demos.

Bought 2 Move controlles, Start the Party and Sports Champions. £105. Bit pricey...but couldn't wait...and if I'd bought it at RRP it would have been £130.

Start the Party has been great fun with friends - nothing like this on the Wii. The augmented reality is just brilliant.

Start the party has been a favourite for me so far, simply because it is so fresh and a totally new experience, even when i just got the wobbly foam had during calibration i sat there shaking it around for 5 minutes before even getting into the game :LOL:

Table tennis was excellent, was considering picking up SC just for this, i doubt it though if it had online it would be a definate but i dont think it does. Best version of table tennis ever though. Any launch that produces the worlds best of something is a good one to me!

Suprisingly for me The Shoot was one if my faves too, didnt expect to like it from the videos i saw but it was great fun. Pointing works really well started making headshots with ease in no time. Im really looking forward to Dead Space Extraction now.

No issues with lag at all with anything i tried, the TVs they used to demo these thing with initially must have been what was introducing serious lag because it was definalely much more apparent. Have only tried it on my projector so far, would be interesting if things change when using my LCD TV.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I've played every demo available, and I'm pretty impressed with *most* of what's available. I didn't particularly care for Kung Fu Rider or Racquet Sports.

Last night we had a ton of fun with Beat Sketchers demo. Since it isn't really timed we just put a bunch of names and other stuff on some note cards and played pictionary, with the only stipulation being that you have to be a part of your drawing. It was absurdly fun!

I bought "Start the Party". It got the least play time from us because we were occupied with "Sports Champions" and "EyePet". EyePet can be pretty frustrating because the game makes stringent assumptions about how the layout should be like. At home, I put the camera on top of the TV. Unfortunately, EyePet wants it at knee height (i.e., at the bottom of the TV). We ignore the instructions and sometimes the EyePet toys don't work correctly.

I am still waiting patiently for my son to unlock his sketch recognition tool and sing-along game. Despite the challenges, he loves the monkey.

In the mean time, I have enough software to play around. Sure hope the upcoming firmware 3.50 have Move related enhancements.

So, I've played every demo available, and I'm pretty impressed with *most* of what's available. I didn't particularly care for Kung Fu Rider or Racquet Sports.

Last night we had a ton of fun with Beat Sketchers demo. Since it isn't really timed we just put a bunch of names and other stuff on some note cards and played pictionary, with the only stipulation being that you have to be a part of your drawing. It was absurdly fun!

I've had two kids for an emergency sleepover from Friday afternoon til Sunday afternoon, and the timing to have the Move in the house couldn't have been more perfect. The range of games that are suitable for and fun with kids has increased considerably and I'm very happy with how well it turned out. Beat Sketchers, Start the Party and EyePet have all been huge hits. I had a 7 year old girl and a 3 year old boy together with our 2 year old son. Beat Sketchers was perfect for the girl by herself - after telling her the ropes, she played, drew, copied and doodled more than a straight hour both times I set her to it. I also played 'pictionary' with the 3yo (and a little bit my 2yo) and that was great fun for the both of us too (I took some pictures, before I found out the snapshot function which the 7yo accidentally uncovered by pressing triangle). The results worked out surprisingly well actually, drawing outlines with black paint and then filling them in much like a coloring book. With the girl we also had fun drawing clothes to pretend to wear and poke holes with the eraser to see through.

The actual painting for me is almost perfect - around the edges your motions can get a little distorted (straight lines will start to curve). If they ever make one like this that has a zoom tool, then we'll be able to draw some really fine art already I think. More than one step undo would be nice too, but that the one step undo is there is already a really big help. I'll definitely buy this when it is released around Japan's Move launch-date.

I really like Start-the-Party so far as well, and it was the only game that everyone could play and love, though my 2yo can basically only play the bug swatting (already quite amazing that he can do it) but the 3yo could already play almost all of the mini-games, which was really impressive. The 7yo totally loved it to bits (including the doodling or 'renaming' of an opponent's avatar), though for her there should probably be a special mode where I can play at my very best and still lose. The option to give her Easy and me Hard didn't help enough for that. The 3yo was slightly scared of the ghosts though (particularly the big one you have to hide the light from), but not too much fortunately.

The game also has a surprising level of depth. The mechanics are deep and rewarding enough to allow for playing each mini-game by itself just for trying to break your own score. Even in the Party Mix mode, I thought it was very cool that the 'Fruit Ninja' minigame allowed you to catch/bounce fruit with the flat side of your sword, back up in the air and then slice it. The heli-rescue is also a lot of fun once you get the hang of it (and Hard mode top 1 score is tough, haven't beaten it yet though I'm about 1-2 guys away). If this game had online leaderboards I would rank it very highly I think, but I can appreciate that they have done their best to keep it simple for kids ot use.

Finally for myself I played a lot of other stuff still as well. Sports Champions by itself is already a killer app, no question about it - totally worth the price of entry. I like almost all of the sports, and even if some take a little while to get into, the depth in each of them is very rewarding and draws you into just about all of them eventually. The only thing really that keeps it from being a 10/10 for me is the 'bonus' challenges being not quite as much fun as they could have been (though the Gladiator one is satisfying at least) and the lack of online (which would have worked well with quite a few of the games). The Gladiator game is probably also the 'two Move controllers' seller, if you ask me. It doesn't only make my muscles ache, but it makes me ache for more games like this, and therefore The Fight is starting to make it high up my most wanted list. The fact that so many of these games really register the speed/strength of your hit really draws out giving it your everything, and it's only a matter of time before someone gets his first injury playing this game. ;)

Played through 5-6 zones of Tumble too, which is great fun, I like Flight Control a lot more than on the iPhone on the PS3 with Move and also played that with my wife - neat game to play in co-op! I also tried the Echochrome 2 demo now, which I enjoyed quite a lot more than the first one. I might even get it eventually. I tried the Heavy Rain demo and thought the Move controls were an improvement, though the cinematic camera angles hold it back a little (I haven't tried changing the camera angle anywhere though to see if there were different angles available). I even tried Tiger Woods, and for all its flaws, I must say that playing golf in this way was hugely satisfying and a great step up from the DS3. The demo doesn't allow full freedom of swinging in terms of really being able to hit over or beside the ball, though I thought the final game does have this option? If that would be in it would be pretty much perfect for me, getting pretty simmy at that point. Mind you I don't know much about golf, only hit a few balls at a practice range. But I like that it is a real challenge to hit a long shot.

EDIT: and a HUGE SHOUTOUT TO CHROME for saving my long post when Win7 suddenly shut down on me to install an update! Maybe I pressed space while the question to restart came up, but I never saw that screen. Grrr. Thank you CHROME!

EDIT2: oh and SC is not an easy Platinum, from the looks of things!

EDIT3: iWaggle's Twitter says that MAG's 1.04 patch has really nailed the Move support now, and that he's owning people with the Move controller in MAG. Great news!

Very impressed with Move.Sony absolutely came through and delivered on what they said they would with the controller precision.:D

My favs-
Sports Champions seems highly underrated from reviews imo. As said earlier Tennis is the best ever and you could say the same with the other games in it.So, the reviews are average but you can be sure to experience the best gameplay ever in those type of games.

Start The Party is just amazing how it maps perfectly to the Move.I had tons of fun just swinging the Move around with the wrist strap, to see the tracking while not holding it looks even more incredible.:cool:

EyePet can be pretty frustrating because the game makes stringent assumptions about how the layout should be like. At home, I put the camera on top of the TV. Unfortunately, EyePet wants it at knee height (i.e., at the bottom of the TV).

I know what you mean - that's really frustrating...however...today my 2nd controller turned up, and it's the move starter pack they've sent...so I now have 2 cameras so much less hassle than 1 (which is blue-tacked to the top of the TV!)...might be worth picking up a 2nd hand one? :)

@Billy Idol - I would assume the accuracy!

@Delta9 - absolutely - anyone that calls this a Wii copy should be given those 2 demos to play, they pinpoint exactly why the Move is better

My PS Move has turned out to be my favorite PS3 purchase yet. It just feels so new and fun (played Wii a couple time but hated the waggle). Sports Champions is by the best of the bunch for me the only thing I have been wondering is the following. When you calibrate the Move it seems to want you to stay centered to the camera. This is tuff when you are in the game. I wonder if they would have been better off having somthing that could be aware of your center (such as a cheap waist strap with a LED on it). That way your center would be known even if you move around.

I know what you mean - that's really frustrating...however...today my 2nd controller turned up, and it's the move starter pack they've sent...so I now have 2 cameras so much less hassle than 1 (which is blue-tacked to the top of the TV!)...might be worth picking up a 2nd hand one? :)

Argh, not going to do that. They are working on a 3D PSEye. Perhaps they should also improve the camera-based analysis instead. This is one area where I expect Kinect as a whole will excel.

EDIT:
Arwin said:
EDIT3: iWaggle's Twitter says that MAG's 1.04 patch has really nailed the Move support now, and that he's owning people with the Move controller in MAG. Great news!

I will be there sometime this week ! (Probably not today, may be tomorrow).

My PS Move has turned out to be my favorite PS3 purchase yet. It just feels so new and fun (played Wii a couple time but hated the waggle). Sports Champions is by the best of the bunch for me the only thing I have been wondering is the following. When you calibrate the Move it seems to want you to stay centered to the camera. This is tuff when you are in the game. I wonder if they would have been better off having somthing that could be aware of your center (such as a cheap waist strap with a LED on it). That way your center would be known even if you move around.

Hi butta, I am inclined to agree with you - I love it to bits.

As for the calibration, the area it indicates is what should be your central position. This does not mean that you can't step sideways or forwards. It just means that this is your 'centre' for the game. For most games, you will follow that centre fairly naturally I suspect. I for one don't know of many or even any people who have had serious issues with this - you can see where the camera is pointing to anyway, and if the Move gets out of reach of the camera you get a warning (I play really close to the camera, 1.60m is my max distance, so I get this warning sometimes).

And yes, EyeToy is a little annoying in that respect, though not so much for me personally as I can move my camera easily (there's enough space for it to stand both on the LCD and beside the LCD) so for me it hasn't been an issue at all in the living room. And it is probably the only game that tries to know what level the real floor in your house is, and detects movement and interaction with your livingroom, people walking around etc. It's quite fun how it will walk up to any kid that is moving within reach and such, or try to sit on your lap (doesn't work perfectly, but sometimes it is quite fetching).

Argh, not going to do that. They are working on a 3D PSEye. Perhaps they should also improve the camera-based analysis instead. This is one area where I expect Kinect as a whole will excel.

I'm actually hoping they do some work on the sensor next generation. A lot of people confuse the resolution with the grainy image you see with the high ISO in low light conditions.

If they were to bump up the quality of the sensor, then we could get a clearer image during low light situations w/out all of the noise (which would improve sensing of both the sphere and other motion).

Try playing Eyepet, for instance, in a low light room, and then in a well lit room, and notice the substantial difference between the two. I think this would stand to benefit them quite a bit.

3D would be cool, but honestly I don't care about it unless it's going to improve the way the camera detects the sphere.

That said, I have no qualms about how Eyepet works. A good alternative for you, Patsu, might be to move your coffee table (if you have one) in front of your TV. The reason they want the camera lower is so you can play on the floor. I think they did this so families w/out coffee tables wouldn't be confused.

I'll test it out later, but I'm certain that any relatively 'flat' surface will work really well for eyepet.

Shuhei has an interview up on gamesindustry.biz:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-09-20-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-interview

Q: In terms of the overall culture at Sony Computer Entertainment, it feels from the outside like there's a big difference between SCE now, and how you were when you launched the PlayStation 3 - which is of course that back then, SCE's boss was an engineer, and now it's a software guy, a marketing guy. Does that make a big day-to-day difference in how things work inside the company?

Shuhei Yoshida: That has made a huge, huge day to day difference, and a month-to-month and year-to-year difference!

Actually, I'd say that Move was the first platform project that, from day one, from the very conceptual stage, had Worldwide Studios involved. Actually, WWS was involved before SCE's hardware guys were involved. It was between Richard Marks, the SCEA R&D group and Worldwide Studios teams - they started looking into next-gen motion gaming, and tried every different kind of technology, including 3D cameras and other motion capture technologies like magnetics or ultrasound.

We settled on Richard Marks' new invention, and he actually hand-carried his hand-made Move prototype to Japan and asked them if they could make it, if it was possible to manufacture it.

That's a totally, totally different approach from the days when Ken was running the company. As soon as Kaz took over Ken's position, Kaz told the people in Japan that from now on, they had to talk to Worldwide Studios about anything about the platform, and get our feedback on any decisions. I thought, "wow"!

That was the time when I was appointed as president of Worldwide Studios, and I discussed it and agreed to move my base from the US to Japan. Running Worldwide Studios, if it was just the studios, I could be anywhere, right? I could be in Europe, or the US, or Japan. But I realised that with Kaz' new initiative, he wants to run his company's platform-side development as a collaboration between WWS and the hardware teams.

But there had never been that kind of process. People understood Kaz' vision, but they didn't know what to do, or who to talk to. They had set milestones in terms of developing hardware. I felt like I could uniquely go into that group of engineers in Japan and suggest a new process - interject the right kind of software teams to the right kind of hardware issues that need solutions.

I felt that, because they didn't have to talk to us when they were making hardware decisions previously, they might feel like the process took too long if they had to go through additional steps. I was afraid that they might not like it. But what's really exciting, for me, is that I have found that they really, really embraced the relationship. They always wanted to make hardware that great games could be made for - but they didn't know who to talk to. They were making decisions with very limited insight from the software side, regarding what kind of hardware features or tools would make game developers happy.

Not only were we able to say, yes, this feature is good, or this other feature won't be necessary - we could show examples, the reasons why some features are more important than others. We could use our game concepts, our prototypes, and show them the reasons. Then it becomes really clear in their minds - they understood that they had to make Move's response time as good as Dual Shock, in order to make it adaptable to all kinds of games. That kind of technical decision can now be made with direct insight from gaming teams.

The engineers say that they're so glad to hear these things - they can't think of any other way of making new hardware, now.

Congrats, Sports Champions (#2 on UK weekly sales chart):
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...ps-uk-chart-as-sports-champions-steals-second

Reach has also sold 20,000 more units than Halo 3 did in its first week and has smashed ODST's week one figure buy nearly 200,000.

Sony's Move has had some impact on the charts, too - Move-exclusive Sports Champions has gone straight in at number two, Start the Party! at 29 and Ubisoft's Racket Sports at 32.

I still do think they will be stunted by being too similar to WiiSports in concept. Hope their hardwork will pay off, at least for the core gamers.

wow, also consider that people will also be buying at least 1 move - so a minimum purchase of ~£55 online and ~£65 instore

I have to say the initial interest has been quite high (walking around a couple of stores) with sales looking very healthy - the only issue is I went into Asda and altho they has PoS for Kinect I just got blank looks when I asked about Move :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back