PS3 Firmware 3.40

Just to be clear, check that the ps3,linux nic and switches are reporting full duplex (thru auto neg which is the protocol that negotiate speed and duplex on ethernet and every port is usually set to auto by default), Don't force full duplex if it aint supported on the above, forcing it will often result in duplex missmatch which is worse than halfduplex.

PS3 firmware 3.41 updated to resolve HDD upgrade issues:
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/08/03/system-software-3-41-update/

For those users who are replacing the PS3 hard disk drive: we are aware of the symptoms with the system software update 3.41, released on July 27, and that it will cause the update to stop in some occasions while replacing the PlayStation 3 (PS3) Hard Disk Drive (HDD) if the PS3 system is installed with version 3.41.

To resolve these symptoms, we have released a new version of system software update 3.41 with a very minor change (the version number does not change) on August 2. If you are experiencing such symptoms when replacing the HDD of your PS3 system, we kindly ask you to use the latest data and try again. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused, and appreciate your understanding and continued support.

That's a relief as I'm about to upgrade my HDD (if I can undo that damn screw).

There's no doubt in my mind what the greatest most recent feature is... when I'm charging my controller on a PC I no longer have to re-sync to the PS3 via cable to, for example, switch the console on.

I have never had to re-sync the controller after charging on the PC. I am running Kubuntu though so maybe that was an OS specific hassle (Windows or MaxOSX messing with the controller in some way)?

Cheers

I have never had to re-sync the controller after charging on the PC. I am running Kubuntu though so maybe that was an OS specific hassle (Windows or MaxOSX messing with the controller in some way)?

Cheers

Well it was on a Windows laptop and desktop so you're probably right.

Buahahaha, give it up ! Use a long nose plier to turn it. :p

Ooh, the empathy is overflowing from your post patsu! :p

I've nearly stripped the head so precision screw-driver kit will have to be substituted by the long nose pliers. Sigh.

Why is Sony so stupid in software?

I just upgraded my Slim HDD, and since the slim has no flash memory, I had to download the PS3 system update to disc as well. The kicker is that the backup utility saves everything to PS3\EXPORT directory. The system update needs to be in the PS3\UPDATE directory. Why can't the backup utility copy a current version of the PUP file when doing the backup so you can just leave the USB drive connected during an upgrade? That cannot have been very difficult to add, and it would make upgrading an easy thing to do.

Surely those two links cancel each other out to make a NULL post? ;)
Shhh... he doesn't know that
2pys0vr.png

Why is Sony so stupid in software?

I just upgraded my Slim HDD, and since the slim has no flash memory, I had to download the PS3 system update to disc as well. The kicker is that the backup utility saves everything to PS3\EXPORT directory. The system update needs to be in the PS3\UPDATE directory. Why can't the backup utility copy a current version of the PUP file when doing the backup so you can just leave the USB drive connected during an upgrade? That cannot have been very difficult to add, and it would make upgrading an easy thing to do.

Probably because no one in the firmware department is in charge of user experience. :(

I have only seen someone with the title "Playstation Hardware Marketing" or "Playstation Network Manager". Don't know if they have a permanent XMB or "Playstation OS" manager and/or user experience guru. I reckon they have a firmware group staffed with Cell magicians + project manager(s), and that's it.

Ooh, the empathy is overflowing from your post patsu! :p

Must be because of the spicy food here. :oops:

Soooo, after some long and needed holidays around St. Tropez (South of France), i'm back. :)

Since the latest Update (3.41), I've been having an extremely annoying problem with my PS3slim.

When I turn off my PS3slim, the PS3 turns off in a way that it's not possible to turn it back on via any of my 3 dualshock2 controllers. They just start to blink as if they can't find my PS3. One glance to my PS3 also reveals that the usual green LED next to the two USB ports isn't on, which I think signalises that WiFi is turned on (or the feature to use remote play via a PSP). As suspected, it is also not possible to turn on the PS3 via remote play from the PSP, despite having all the correct settings.

When I turn on the PS3 using the power-on button on the unit, the PS3 boots up correctly, but none of the controllers work (blinking LEDs on the controller, them not finding my PS3). Only when I turn off the PS3slim via the power button on the unit, does the PS3 turn off correctly - that being with the green LED turned on signalising WiFi is on. Turning on the PS3 via controller then works perfectly.

When the PS3 switches off through auto-sleep (after 2 hours in my case), or through the controller using the appropriate menu setting on the PS3, the same thing happens in that the PS3 turns off but in a state where neither remote play nor the controller can "wake it up".

Sometimes, using the power-on/off button on the unit helps to prevent getting in this state, but not always. At the moment, 90%+ of the time, I can't turn on my PS3 anymore via controller.

This started happening immediately after the latest software update and seems to be more software than hardware related. Anyone having any similar problems? Any ideas?

I'm not having those problems but I suspect you'll have a new firmware to install in the next couple of weeks so hopefully that'll fix your issue.

@Phil. I have a similar problem, but I didn´t see the connection to the firmware update, because I moved the PS3 temporary to a place where the power cord is connected to a smart multiplug that cuts the power to the connected peripherals when the TV is off.

I just assumed that was the reason to the strange behaviour and planned to move the PS3 plug later on to a separate power source.

Actually had a similar problem with my 60GB model. Would not power on via the controller at all. The controller would just blink non-stop and the PS3 would do nothing. Couple flips of the power switch on the back of the unit and a few more attempts and it fired right up. Hasn't given me any problems since then, and that was about a month and a half ago now. Don't know what caused it, or even what fixed it, but I'm glad it wasn't anything more serious. I can't lose my BC goodness :(

Soooo, after some long and needed holidays around St. Tropez (South of France), i'm back. :)

Since the latest Update (3.41), I've been having an extremely annoying problem with my PS3slim.

When I turn off my PS3slim, the PS3 turns off in a way that it's not possible to turn it back on via any of my 3 dualshock2 controllers. They just start to blink as if they can't find my PS3. One glance to my PS3 also reveals that the usual green LED next to the two USB ports isn't on, which I think signalises that WiFi is turned on (or the feature to use remote play via a PSP). As suspected, it is also not possible to turn on the PS3 via remote play from the PSP, despite having all the correct settings.

When I turn on the PS3 using the power-on button on the unit, the PS3 boots up correctly, but none of the controllers work (blinking LEDs on the controller, them not finding my PS3). Only when I turn off the PS3slim via the power button on the unit, does the PS3 turn off correctly - that being with the green LED turned on signalising WiFi is on. Turning on the PS3 via controller then works perfectly.

When the PS3 switches off through auto-sleep (after 2 hours in my case), or through the controller using the appropriate menu setting on the PS3, the same thing happens in that the PS3 turns off but in a state where neither remote play nor the controller can "wake it up".

Sometimes, using the power-on/off button on the unit helps to prevent getting in this state, but not always. At the moment, 90%+ of the time, I can't turn on my PS3 anymore via controller.

This started happening immediately after the latest software update and seems to be more software than hardware related. Anyone having any similar problems? Any ideas?

Similar has been happening to me for a while already, I think it's lost the controller about once every second month for at least a year now, or more. Now that I think about it, I think it started when I bought an asian white DS3 controller, and that was maybe about two years ago.
I thought it was the controller, I haven't tried with the original SIXAXIS, but the Sony PS3 Blu-Ray remote is sometimes slow to turn on the PS3 too. It doesn't fail, but I may have to press the PS button for a couple of seconds before the PS3 turns on, while other times it'll start in less than a second or so.
The PSP remote play doesn't work via Internet with my setup. I even bought a new wireless router and tried every possible setup combo (upnp on/off, DHCP on/off, fixed IP's, port forwards, DMZ and all) but the PS3 starts by itself after a while if I enable internet start.
What's annoying is that it used to work fine, but after some fw update it stopped working. Hope Sony fixes this as it was a very nice feature to have.
It's possible that these two glitches are related, as I think the remote play problem and losing the controller started happening to me at around the same time...

Firmware 3.42 now up and required ... guess what? 'Security ... ' ;)

It'll be interesting to hear reports of what changes with the jailbreaks, if anything. Have Sony managed to patch the current hole, or is it to prevent game sharing on future titles only?

It installs Sony(R) NetCop(TM) onto your PS3, so should you insert one of these USB keys into your system it will report back to HQ, whom in turn uses the geolocation of your IP to send out an armed assault squad to pummel you into hamburger with nightsticks.

Back