PS3 Firmware 3.40

Deep Color and RGB Full aren't the same. RGB Full simply expands the range from 16-235 to 0-255 and is generally a PC standard. Deep color increases the bit depth and provides more available colors to mix with to provide better color accuracy and decrease errors (like banding). AFAIK, there aren't any sources that support deep color as of now. It's in the HDMI spec (>v1.3), but AFAIK, it's not in the Blu-Ray spec. Maybe Sony plans on supporting deep color in some of their games.
I believe Life with Playstation supports deep color.

PSP firmware 6.30 available:
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2010/06/29/psp-firmware-6-30-now-live/

The PSP’s latest firmware update, 6.30, is now live, bringing PSN Plus support and more, to work with the PS3’s 3.40 firmware update. While the PSN Plus is a PlayStation 3 service, the free Minis and PlayStation One games that are given with the subscription are also playable on the PSP, after the 6.30 firmware update.

At 31MB, the update not only adds PSN Plus support, but games can now be grouped and displayed in folders based on format under [Game].

The groups shown are:

PSP (PSP games)
Minis (PSP/PS3 Minis)
PlayStation (PS1 classics)
PCEngine
NEOGEO

Media Go 1.50 released:
http://www.sonyinsider.com/2010/06/29/sony-media-go-1-5-now-available/

* The following additional devices from Sony Ericsson are supported: Xperia X10 mini, Xperia X10 mini pro, E10i, U20i, and Zylo.

* Play videos purchased from the Store as they download.

* Queue multiple items for download, including software updates, podcasts and media purchased from the Store.

* Transfer playlists already on the PSP (PlayStation Portable) system to Media Go.

I think Deep Color is support for more than 8bits per pixel.
Yup, from the hdmi.org website..

Deep Color: HDMI 1.3 supports 10-bit, 12-bit and 16-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 8-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification, for stunning rendering of over one billion colors in unprecedented detail.

*Edit*
Maybe i should mention that deep color is primarily aimed at post production professionals, where 10-bit RGBA is quite a common format.
Also 12-bit YUVA, is quite common. Currently these formats are primarily packaged in DPX/Cineon files, but R3D (red camera) files can be decoded to these bit depths. Traditionally files with such high bit depth are transferred using dual link or 3G HD-SDI.
Also your not going to be able to notice the difference unless your using professional CRT displays.
(there may be some LCD/Plasma/Projector tech that is capable is displaying the greater color depth, but i sure aint heard of it)
Expect to see Blu-Rays which tout this feature in the future, and as usual for no visible gain to the average consumer.
Don't know, but my Optoma HD72i front projector advertises 10-bit colour and it's years old, might be (and probably is) just marketing talk, though.

I'm still unsure what would be the best, or correct settings for PS3 and my display. Should the RGB be full or limited, Deep colour on (automatic) or off....
I know if I set the Super White (in previous fw) off I can't see blacker-than-black, and I understand it's good to see it as it makes calibrating easier.
If I set RGB Limited (currently full), I need to recalibrate the display brightness (and contrast) again as the darks are too washed out otherwise. But RGB Limited makes XMB washed out if I calibrate for Blu-rays :???:

How do you have your PS3 connected to your projector? Does your projector have an RGB Range setting and/or HDMI Black Level setting? If so, it's most likely the same as the PS3's RGB Full/Limited, and it's very important that both your projector and PS3 are on the same page -- otherwise you'll be clipping black/white detail, and/or you'll have a washed out image. RGB Full = 0-255 (aka PC levels) and RGB Limited = 16-235 (aka Video levels). If you output 0-255 from the output device (in this case, the PS3) but your display is only expecting 16-235, you'll be clipping levels below 16 and above 235. If you output 16-235 but your display is expecting 0-255, you'll have a washed out picture. You need both either at 16-235 or 0-255.

To make things even more complicated, the PS3 can output 2 different color spaces: RGB and YCbCr. Games/XMB always output RGB, but you can choose the output format for BD/DVD (or disc-based video). All BD/DVD's are encoded to YCbCr 4:2:0 16-235, so ideally, you want to set BD/DVD to output YCbCr in your PS3 settings to avoid any conversions. The RGB Range setting in the display settings only affects RGB sources, so if you set BD/DVD to output YCbCr, obviously this won't have any effect on BD/DVD.

Most displays other than PC monitors with an HDMI input are, by default, usually set to accept video levels (16-235). However, many HD displays have the option for both (again, usually called Black Level/HDMI Black Level/RGB Range). But if you don't have this setting, you're using HDMI, and your display is not a PC monitor, setting everything to 16-235 is a safe bet. If you have a PC monitor, setting everything to 0-255 is a safe bet.

The following configurations will ensure that your PS3 and display are on the same page as far as levels are concerned and it should ensure that your display picture settings will work for both BD/DVD and games:
*BD/DVD Output: YCbCr -> RGB: Limited -> Display: 16-235 (everything in the chain is set to 16-235)
BD/DVD Output: RGB -> RGB: Limited -> Display: 16-235 (everything in the chain is set to 16-235)
BD/DVD Output: RGB -> RGB: Full -> Display: 0-255 (everything in the chain is set to 0-255)
*My recommended config. Reason being, for me, I'd rather have my Blu-Ray movies looking as they were intended, because unlike video games, there is a picture standard for all films, whereas games vary when it comes to brightness, color etc.

Also, for most displays that have the option to accept both 16-235 and 0-255, the option will only be made available if the source is RGB (it will be grayed out for YCbCr sources). My Samsung behaves this way, but my current LG doesn't But another possible config. would be:
BD/DVD Output: YCbCr -> RGB: Full -> Display: 0-255
This way, both the display and PS3 are set to 0-255 with RGB sources, and because the option on the TV is grayed out for YCbCr sources, they will be both set to 16-235 for BD/DVD. I would recommend this over the above config. if whenever possible.

Now for the other settings.

YCbCr super-white:
This is essentially xvYCC (extended YCC). Basically, it extends the color gamut to support more colors (16-235 -> 0-255) for YCbCr sources. Unlike the RGB setting, this simply expands the range... it doesn't stretch 16-235 -> 0-255 like the RGB setting does. This is why you are able to see Blacker-than-Black (0-15) and Whiter-than-White (236-255) if you have BD/DVD set to YCbCr and super-white enabled. If you have any Deep Color sources, this is needed to compliment it. Other wise, as you said, it's only useful for calibration purposes (mainly setting brightness and contrast).

Deep Color:
This setting should obviously be set to Auto if your display supports it. Displays that support Deep Color and xvYCC have been made for a while now. Check the spec sheet to see if your display supports it. If it says anything about HDMI 1.3, it most likely supports it.
I won't explain this any further as it's been done already in this thread.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've said this before following a FW update but I've convinced myself (again) that signing in and general online activity is quicker.

I've moved to a wired connection given the labyrinthine, concrete walled layout of my flat but even so Warhawk before the update was playing up. Now it's as zippy as can be.

Ok, sounds about right. I'll turn on Deep Color and see how it compares to RGB Full.

Deep Color is on automatic by default, and the help text comes down to 'leave it on automatic unless you're experiencing specific problems'. You're unlikely to see anything I reckon, and RGB Full should stay on unless you specifically notice it looks wrong and you've tested that you have black crush using the test-image. ;)

I can only say that everything looks perfect over here (Full RGB / Deep Color Automatic). Besides looking at some of my own reference photos, I recently played Wipeout Pure again, and there is almost no better color test than those special Rez like levels (Detonator, Zone, Zone Battle). ;) An added bonus is that since the 3D support was added, these now have more AA as well (though not as much as the others I think) and clearly run smoother than before. It's outstanding, and I'm wondering if you can also play those in 3D and what that would be like!

Community ratings for all content on the PSN store is one of those coveted megatons to me. Puzzling why this doesn't get more attention. Finally we have some peer opinions directly at the point of purchase. Finally a way for everyone to dump their hot and saucy opinions, and express them all on a five-step scale!

(yes, I went through all content on the store A-Z, for both of my purchasing accounts, and rated every purchase I made since launch)

I checked the ratings on PS Store the other day. The user base seems to be very enthusiastic about rating their purchases. All the ones I checked are already heavily rated.

3.40 is definitely a keeper. :)

How do you have your PS3 connected to your projector? Does your projector have an RGB Range setting and/or HDMI Black Level setting? If so, it's most likely the same as the PS3's RGB Full/Limited, and it's very important that both your projector and PS3 are on the same page -- otherwise you'll be clipping black/white detail, and/or you'll have a washed out image. RGB Full = 0-255 (aka PC levels) and RGB Limited = 16-235 (aka Video levels). If you output 0-255 from the output device (in this case, the PS3) but your display is only expecting 16-235, you'll be clipping levels below 16 and above 235. If you output 16-235 but your display is expecting 0-255, you'll have a washed out picture. You need both either at 16-235 or 0-255.

To make things even more complicated, the PS3 can output 2 different color spaces: RGB and YCbCr. Games/XMB always output RGB, but you can choose the output format for BD/DVD (or disc-based video). All BD/DVD's are encoded to YCbCr 4:2:0 16-235, so ideally, you want to set BD/DVD to output YCbCr in your PS3 settings to avoid any conversions. The RGB Range setting in the display settings only affects RGB sources, so if you set BD/DVD to output YCbCr, obviously this won't have any effect on BD/DVD.

Most displays other than PC monitors with an HDMI input are, by default, usually set to accept video levels (16-235). However, many HD displays have the option for both (again, usually called Black Level/HDMI Black Level/RGB Range). But if you don't have this setting, you're using HDMI, and your display is not a PC monitor, setting everything to 16-235 is a safe bet. If you have a PC monitor, setting everything to 0-255 is a safe bet.

The following configurations will ensure that your PS3 and display are on the same page as far as levels are concerned and it should ensure that your display picture settings will work for both BD/DVD and games:
*BD/DVD Output: YCbCr -> RGB: Limited -> Display: 16-235 (everything in the chain is set to 16-235)
BD/DVD Output: RGB -> RGB: Limited -> Display: 16-235 (everything in the chain is set to 16-235)
BD/DVD Output: RGB -> RGB: Full -> Display: 0-255 (everything in the chain is set to 0-255)
*My recommended config. Reason being, for me, I'd rather have my Blu-Ray movies looking as they were intended, because unlike video games, there is a picture standard for all films, whereas games vary when it comes to brightness, color etc.

Also, for most displays that have the option to accept both 16-235 and 0-255, the option will only be made available if the source is RGB (it will be grayed out for YCbCr sources). My Samsung behaves this way, but my current LG doesn't But another possible config. would be:
BD/DVD Output: YCbCr -> RGB: Full -> Display: 0-255
This way, both the display and PS3 are set to 0-255 with RGB sources, and because the option on the TV is grayed out for YCbCr sources, they will be both set to 16-235 for BD/DVD. I would recommend this over the above config. if whenever possible.

Now for the other settings.

YCbCr super-white:
This is essentially xvYCC (extended YCC). Basically, it extends the color gamut to support more colors (16-235 -> 0-255) for YCbCr sources. Unlike the RGB setting, this simply expands the range... it doesn't stretch 16-235 -> 0-255 like the RGB setting does. This is why you are able to see Blacker-than-Black (0-15) and Whiter-than-White (236-255) if you have BD/DVD set to YCbCr and super-white enabled. If you have any Deep Color sources, this is needed to compliment it. Other wise, as you said, it's only useful for calibration purposes (mainly setting brightness and contrast).

Deep Color:
This setting should obviously be set to Auto if your display supports it. Displays that support Deep Color and xvYCC have been made for a while now. Check the spec sheet to see if your display supports it. If it says anything about HDMI 1.3, it most likely supports it.
I won't explain this any further as it's been done already in this thread.

Hope that helps.
Thanks a lot! That was very helpful.
I have my PS3 connected with HDMI.
My display doesn't seem to allow me to change those RGB Range setting and/or HDMI Black Level settings, it only has Colorspace setting: RGB or YPbPr. With RGB set, the picture is green.

I have PS3 set to:
BD/DVD Output: YCbCr
RGB Full
YCbCr super-white ON

I've tried the above settings but changed RGB to Limited. I checked brightness and contrast calibrations and they were fine without needing adjustments.
I don't see difference in DVD's and Blu-rays (as I probably shouldn't, as they are output YCbCr), but the XMB background looks washed out, as do games.
Guess I'm safe leaving RGB to full if I don't see it harming the picture with movies. I use the PS3 a lot for watching Blu-ray films, and I've been quite happy with the picture.

I checked the ratings on PS Store the other day. The user base seems to be very enthusiastic about rating their purchases. All the ones I checked are already heavily rated.
But are they rated realistically, or 5 minutes after playing, or based on a prerelease video? I don't see any merit to user star ratings as it tells you nothing about how their tastes match with your own. Also user ratings tends to be broken in that it seems to me users look at a...thing to rate, look at its current rating, and then either vote 1 or 5 to change the rating nearer their own personal value. So if something's rated 4.8, and they feel it's only worth a 2, they'll vote 1 to drag the average down as much as possible. This is what YouTube found and so replaced star ratings with a binary choice. Well, I suppose calling it broken is unfair. The mean average score is still one measure of user rating even if not using accurately collated data.

Thanks a lot! That was very helpful.
I have my PS3 connected with HDMI.
My display doesn't seem to allow me to change those RGB Range setting and/or HDMI Black Level settings, it only has Colorspace setting: RGB or YPbPr. With RGB set, the picture is green.

I have PS3 set to:
BD/DVD Output: YCbCr
RGB Full
YCbCr super-white ON

I've tried the above settings but changed RGB to Limited. I checked brightness and contrast calibrations and they were fine without needing adjustments.
I don't see difference in DVD's and Blu-rays (as I probably shouldn't, as they are output YCbCr), but the XMB background looks washed out, as do games.
Guess I'm safe leaving RGB to full if I don't see it harming the picture with movies. I use the PS3 a lot for watching Blu-ray films, and I've been quite happy with the picture.
Because your display only has options for RGB and YCbCr, it's possible that the YCbCr setting is 16-235 and RGB is 0-255, because RGB 0-255 is basically the PC standard and YCbCr 16-235 is basically the video standard. If everything looks fine the way you have it now, it's probably set correctly. If you notice some loss in shadow detail or black crush, Limited is probably the right setting.

But are they rated realistically, or 5 minutes after playing, or based on a prerelease video?

Only people who purchased the item can rate. I supposed most will rate only after they have played the game (halfway or completed). They won't be able to change the score by watching a prerelease video.

Want to add that it seems like you can change your rating at any time. So if you've played a game a little more and changed your mind, you can update your rating.

I agree that a binary system would be best. Five stars assumes reasonable users ;)

I think the reason why Youtube switched to binary, is because it is cheaper while in the end the effect is very similar, particularly if people are going to try to vote it 'up' or 'down' (relatively) rather than absolutely.

Instead of looking at the average star rating, you can simply look at the total of ups and downs. This gives a score of say, 45 ups out of 100 votes total. This is very similar to 2,5 stars out of 5, or the 2.4 / 5 score that would accompany it. But on the technical side you have a simpler user interface for voting, you don't have to calculate averages or keep separate track of the number of votes, etc.

It takes away some potential finesse in voting however, which is good or bad depending on the audience, which they wisely limited to buyers. I think the five star system is fine for PSN, and I hope they keep it.

There's some automatic thumbnail creation for videos (finally!) going on here after 3.4, but I cant quite figure out when or how. I'm not sure if its PS+ related, or if it's done at the next system start-up. Have to experiment with it more to figure it out. It's definitely not happening as soon as you download the videos (as it should), but appears to happen sometime later. This is, of course, pertaining to videos downloaded off the PSN store only. Videos copied over from other mediums (DLNA servers or flash storage) have always automatically had thumbnails created.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's some automatic thumbnail creation for videos (finally!) going on here after 3.4, but I cant quite figure out when or how. I'm not sure if its PS+ related, or if it's done at the next system start-up. Have to experiment with it more to figure it out. It's definitely not happening as soon as you download the videos (as it should), but appears to happen sometime later. This is, of course, pertaining to videos downloaded off the PSN store only. Videos copied over from other mediums (DLNA servers or flash storage) have always automatically had thumbnails created.

Okay, after some testing it appears to be related to Playstation Plus. During the auto-download timeframe, it creates thumbnails for any videos you have downloaded (along with whatever else it's doing). Odd, but nice and much appreciated. But why not create the thumbnail automatically when downloading it the first time?

Hmm... may be it is indexing your drive during PS+ time. It is common for a media server to look at your video's metadata to fish out the indexable content. The poster image of a video can be stored in one of these metadata items (If none is found, it may generate one for you ?).

This actually sounds very fishy... reminds me of
Google TV

Back