PS3 Firmware 3.40

patsu

Legend
PlayStation 3 System Software Update v3.40 Available Soon:

PlayStation Plus: PlayStation Network users will be able to purchase membership to PlayStation Plus; a new subscription service on the PlayStation Network that provides you with new options to expand and enhance your gaming experience and enable you to gain an exclusive set of features and content. Friendly reminder, all of you PlayStation Network users will continue to have free access to PlayStation Network’s unmatched and expanding suite of new and exclusive features while PlayStation Plus subscribers will gain access to an exclusive and expanding set of gaming features, content and functionality.

Photo Gallery: A new network based photo sharing feature is now available on the Photo Gallery. The enhancement allows you to upload, browse and comment on photos on Facebook and Picasa Web Album. You can also opt to share your photos between your PlayStation Network friends as well as print photos from Photo Gallery.

Video Editor & Uploader: Video Editor and Uploader is a new function found on the XrossMediaBar (XMB), which enables you to edit, save and upload video files stored on the PS3 system to sites such as Facebook or YouTube.

Five Star Rating Support: Users can rate the PlayStation Store content they have purchased with one to five star ratings.

Power Save Settings: The default setting for PS3 System Auto-Off will be set at 2 hours, providing you with additional power save options and further improving power save features on the PS3 system.

a separate, new PlayStation Network application on Facebook.com will be made available. This builds upon what was previously launched with Trophies and the ability to publish purchases from the PlayStation Store. Now you can further integrate your PlayStation Network and Facebook accounts with this new application. The application allows you to display your PlayStation Network profile on your Facebook account, find out which of your Facebook friends have a PSN account and send them a PlayStation Network friend request, view your PSN friends’ online status and add the PlayStation Network application tab to your Facebook user profile.

Sweet! I'm guessing it will be up very soon indeed, as PSN+ launches tomorrow?

Yeah tomorrow for PSN+... I am pretty psyched about the new features since I use the media apps and Youtube on PS3 for real.

I don't dare to cheer yet until I have tried the apps for myself. :) You never know where Sony can trip over itself. Using the Internet services to sidestep direct SMB access is clever. I'm definitely happy to check out the new apps.

I use picasa to manage my photos, so that's awesome I'll be able to view them from my PS3 through the nice photo album application...

It's up. Downloading now...

EDIT:
* They fixed the persistent cookie bug introduced in 3.30. I can login to youtube automatically again.

* Facebook Photo Gallery integration is very cool. I can browse photos, post and read comments for my own Facebook albums, as well as all my friends' albums. Uploading is easy too. The only slight problem is it hung on me once. Overall, rather satisfied. My wife likes the app too.

* Motion controller calibration is in.

Anyone had to accept the new "terms and conditions"?

I have to say, I'm a bit worried about how things are shaping up on PSN. First my creditcard doesn't work anymore (and I assume it's because I'm logging into a foreign PSN) and now with PlayStation plus about to go online, I'm wondering how I should manage it if I decide to sign up. I assume it's on a per account basis, so if you have multiple accounts, it's only for the one you sign it up with.

Any thoughts on this yet?

- [Deep Color Output (HDMI)] has been added as an option under [Display Settings].

It can be set to "automatic" or "off".

Anyone had to accept the new "terms and conditions"?

I have to say, I'm a bit worried about how things are shaping up on PSN. First my creditcard doesn't work anymore (and I assume it's because I'm logging into a foreign PSN) and now with PlayStation plus about to go online, I'm wondering how I should manage it if I decide to sign up. I assume it's on a per account basis, so if you have multiple accounts, it's only for the one you sign it up with.

Any thoughts on this yet?

So far, all the PlayStation plus stuff is essentially on a per-system basis. If a user with PlayStation plus is registered on the system, everyone on that system can play the leased games, etc.

Likewise, the auto-downloading feature affects the system, not a specific account.

I remember it was "automatic" and "off" last time. Did the patch note say something has changed in this area ?

EDIT: Let me check my office PS3. Not updated yet.

It is either the old Full RGB setting or it is new. The Full RGB setting was off by default and didn't have automatic.

My bad. There is no "Deep Color" display setting in 3.30.

What's the difference between RGB Full and Deep Color ?

Was it before:
Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr Super-White (HDMI)
That had on / off setting. I checked the online PS3 manual.
I don't think there was a setting called "Deep Color Output (HDMI)" in earlier firmwares, but aren't these two the same, only now the ON has been replaced by Automatic.

There were:
* Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr Super-White (HDMI)
* RGB Full/Limited

Deep Color setting is new. I always thought Deep Color is Bravia's name for RGB Full. May be it's something extra or different. *shrug*

I hope some day, CE devices will be easier to understand and use. The first iPhone was able to shake the old cell phone industry because its users didn't have to deal with inconsistent and confusing settings/navigation.

My bad. There is no "Deep Color" display setting in 3.30.

What's the difference between RGB Full and Deep Color ?
I think they're basically the same, enabling colour space 0-255, only RGB Full/Limited is for RGB signals (Computer monitors VGA), whille Deep Colour is for Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr (Component, HDMI. And used in for example Blu-ray movies). Also, Deep Colour and Super White are exactly the same thing; Super White is JVC's name for Sony's Deep Colour... or something like that, I'm not sure, really :)

I might be wrong, but that's my understanding of the difference.
I know it was (and still is) confusing when I searched for the explanations to these, and what settings would be best for PS3 :)

Edit: Forget what I wrote above, clearly I still have little idea about these :)
See posts by djskribbles and vjPiedPiper for better (correct) answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can confirm that this is the first fw to have deep color for the slim. I havent owned a fat ps3 so I dont know if it every had deep color in its fw.

Deep Color and RGB Full aren't the same. RGB Full simply expands the range from 16-235 to 0-255 and is generally a PC standard. Deep color increases the bit depth and provides more available colors to mix with to provide better color accuracy and decrease errors (like banding). AFAIK, there aren't any sources that support deep color as of now. It's in the HDMI spec (>v1.3), but AFAIK, it's not in the Blu-Ray spec. Maybe Sony plans on supporting deep color in some of their games.

I think Deep Color is support for more than 8bits per pixel.
Yup, from the hdmi.org website..

Deep Color: HDMI 1.3 supports 10-bit, 12-bit and 16-bit (RGB or YCbCr) color depths, up from the 8-bit depths in previous versions of the HDMI specification, for stunning rendering of over one billion colors in unprecedented detail.

*Edit*
Maybe i should mention that deep color is primarily aimed at post production professionals, where 10-bit RGBA is quite a common format.
Also 12-bit YUVA, is quite common. Currently these formats are primarily packaged in DPX/Cineon files, but R3D (red camera) files can be decoded to these bit depths. Traditionally files with such high bit depth are transferred using dual link or 3G HD-SDI.
Also your not going to be able to notice the difference unless your using professional CRT displays.
(there may be some LCD/Plasma/Projector tech that is capable is displaying the greater color depth, but i sure aint heard of it)
Expect to see Blu-Rays which tout this feature in the future, and as usual for no visible gain to the average consumer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back