Do FPS fans want to go motion-based direct-aim?

Is lightgun-style motion aiming a major motion selling point for you?

• Yes; I want thumbstick aim to die a quick death

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Maybe; I'm curious, but I'm unconvinced at the moment

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • No; thumbsticks are fine by me

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • No; I've already got some cheating peripheral giving me an unfair advantage (:p)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Don't know why I entered this poll, but I vote none of the above

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters
i understand what your saying dobwai, that sounds pretty much ideal, maybe the left analog stick could be protruding to the left somewhat so that the thumstick faces towards you, thats the only gripe id have with something like that.

i tried playing cod 5 on the wii, it was pretty awful. if it were possible to move the cursor/reticle by aiming the wii-mote and look/turn with a thumstick, and then move with the left thumbstick it would be better. imo.

for the record, i play pc games on the couch with a wireless kb and mouse. its actually pretty comfortable after you get used to it.

for the record, i play pc games on the couch with a wireless kb and mouse. its actually pretty comfortable after you get used to it.

Do you rest the keyboard on your laps and then slide the mouse over a mouse pad beside your laps (on the couch) ?

Yeah I was looking for one of those stylish one to put in the living room. Couldn't find one before Sony took OtherOS away. I needed it for PS3 Linux. :)

Crouching at the coffee table is a pain in the butt.

There are also smaller Blu Tooth Keyboards. I am actually using one on my lap to type this, very comfy actually. The only thing is to make sure you've got a good wireless mouse with a laser sensor for accuracy.

I should mention that the good ones are spill proof. I spilt half a bottle of sprite onto the one im using and its perfect.

I loved the SOCOM motion controls with Move. The only thing I don't like about these control systems is that I need to point off-screen in order to adjust the viewpoint left or right. I wish there was a better way.

I can't see motion control with Kinect working at all with this. You can't point.

I loved the SOCOM motion controls with Move. The only thing I don't like about these control systems is that I need to point off-screen in order to adjust the viewpoint left or right. I wish there was a better way.

I have a strong feeling that this should be doable with two Move controllers, where the left Move controller is like controlling a puppet, and the right move is like controlling the arm as it is more or less now. Move the controller to the left to strafe left, twist the controller to the left to turn left, move the controller forward to move forward, etc. One of the buttons on the Move controller should be a 'recenter' controller, so that if you shift position and your hand's resting place becomes a different absolute position you can quickly reset.

A simpler alternative could be that you hold one of the right hand Move buttons to temporarily switch between turning (mouse style fps control) and aiming (as it is now). It may take a little bit of getting used to, but I think it could work pretty well.

Sony really should integrate the functionality of nav controller into Move and call it Move Advance or something and make 2 Move the standard controllers with every PS3 sold. It's not going to gain much traction if Move is optional.

As for FPS, I am really not a fan of the genre because I just don't find keyboard+mouse that much fun to play with. Racing games you use wheels, fighting or typical arcade games you use arcade stick, flight sims you use flightstick. Playing FPS with keyboard and mouse or controller for that matter just doesn't give me a fun experience like those other genres. So I am going to welcome any improvement to the controller for this genre.

I have a strong feeling that this should be doable with two Move controllers, where the left Move controller is like controlling a puppet, and the right move is like controlling the arm as it is more or less now. Move the controller to the left to strafe left, twist the controller to the left to turn left, move the controller forward to move forward, etc. One of the buttons on the Move controller should be a 'recenter' controller, so that if you shift position and your hand's resting place becomes a different absolute position you can quickly reset.

A simpler alternative could be that you hold one of the right hand Move buttons to temporarily switch between turning (mouse style fps control) and aiming (as it is now). It may take a little bit of getting used to, but I think it could work pretty well.

They could map left/right camera movement to twisting of the move controller you are aiming with, and keep character movement on nav controller. Would work well i think and allow you to move the camera and aim at the same time. Would need getting used to but i cant see any reason for it not to work. Except you would still need a solution for looking up and down.

What is the center pressure sensitive button used for ?

The button with the "move" symbol on it? Firing, I believe. Er, or it could be to bring up inventory/tactics... sorry I can't recall for sure.

grandmaster said:
The button with the "move" symbol on it? Firing, I believe. Er, or it could be to bring up inventory/tactics... sorry I can't recall for sure.

I'm sure the trigger button would be the one for firing. ;) so probably the latter.

I thought it was to aim down the iron sights? Or am I thinking of a different button? I thought I heard that in a video somewhere.

Does the subcontroller have a clickable stick (i.e., L3) and trigger ?

L3 may be the most natural to center the view. It doesn't make the subcontroller look complicated also.

EDIT: According to here, it's exactly like half a DS3: 2 triggers and L3 are present. So they are already mapped to other functions (reload, run/walk, etc.) ?

For consoles yes I prefer motion since I own a WII and been playing FPS shooters since the PS1 i was impressed with the WII and how easy it was to shoot it felt much more realistic

Unfortunately, I was very disappointed with the Move controls as implemented in SOCOM and several other demos at E3 (most notably the pool game). It just didn't have the precision I expected, especially after seeing the development demo at GDC. Unless it improves dramatically.

It depends. In a pure shooting game, doing the lightgun thing with the wiimote or whatever is pretty fun and intuitive. In an exploration type of game where quick reflexes don't matter so much, thumbsticks are better.

For games like Resident Evil, using a Move or wiimote would make the game like 10X funner for me.

(most notably the pool game)

Is that Hustle Kings? I have been looking for some kind of footage or impressions of that game with Move support, but so far I haven't found anything.

EDIT: I found something, one that confirms your impressions, and one of someone actually playing who seemed to have no problems despite not knowing how to chalk his cue. Unfortunately I can't see the player in that video so don't know what he's doing with the Move controller.

http://www.gamertell.com/gaming/comment/hustle_kings_playstation_move_e3_2010_ps3_preview/

http://www.gamereactor.eu/grtv/?id=7885 <-- video

Back