What working week scheme do you consider to be optimal?

How would the optimal working week look?

• 7h x 5 days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8h x 5 days

• 9h x 5 days

• 10h x 5 days

• 6h x 6 days

• 7h x 6 days

• 8h x 6 days

• 9h x 6 days

• 10h x 6 days

• Total voters

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
Spinning off a little from this topic I think it would be interesting hearing what people consider an optimal working week would look like. Weighing different factor against each other, such as the total productivity against productivity rate against the end of a long working day, economic wealth against less working hours and quality of life etc. One may argue that as we have economic growth and productivity goes up we should take some of that to shorten the working hours leaving more time to spend with the children, family and friends. Others may argue that it's not worth slowing down the economy.

My personal pref is 8x4... but voted 7x5 by default. I already do that in a 9 day bi weekly pay at 67.5 hrs paid though was hired fulltime at 10 days 75 hrs. Personal choice regarding quality fo life and the fact I do shiftwork. I love the union contract giving me that option which costs the employer nothing as I simply take the cut in pay and benefits...

I voted 7 hours due to the fact that a typical work day comprises 7 hours work and 1 hour lunch/relaxation period. However, even that usually gets trimmed down to 6 hours of actual work. Why? People generally get up from their desk for 5 minutes or so and stretch and look away from your monitor, or at least you're supposed to, once every half hour. Over the course of 7 work hours, that works out to 70 minutes, i.e. a little over an hour.

It's also been shown that productivity tails off significantly in the last hour of the work day. However, some studies have shown that 10 minute power naps during the early afternoon (usually after lunch) negate this productivity decline at the end of the day.

Seriously you want me to work 5 days a week, are you crazy ? 4 days is max, gotta to have time to live. But what about two days of 20 hours 8)

...must get rich, most get rich, need to find somone to kill, kill, kill. Aaaah dawn, who I'm I kidding, I'm just too nice :cry:

9 hours *5 days.... get every other friday off... That is a good schedule....
Realistically thats what I would have to do to ge my work done...

when it is slow.. I work 6 hours.. (salary tho:D).. I find that to bethe optimal time...

I have worked 12 shift work... didnt care forit...2 weeks on 1 week off... Not fun..at all

Natoma said:
I voted 7 hours due to the fact that a typical work day comprises 7 hours work and 1 hour lunch/relaxation period.

Really? Here in Sweden a typical work day is 8 hours, 1 hour break excluded.
Example, 0800 to 1700.

Same in the US/Canada everywhere I've seen - 9 hour day, 1 hour break in the middle.

My vote would be for 4x10, although that's not up there... :?

According to the convention used so far in this thread I guess you mean 10x4, unless you got 10 day weeks over at your place. ;)

Personally I liked the model used at the company I used to work for in the summers the last few years. Basically, it was 9 hours at work but one hour for lunch, so 8 working hours. But then we had what was called "coffee break on working time", which basically means we took a coffee break though it counted as working time. We had two each day and they usually lasted for half an hour, so we really had only 7 hours of actual work. Though I'm pretty certain that I produced more with this model than I would have done without the coffee breaks and the additional working time.

Where I work we have 8 hour workdays with ½ hour paid break (lunch). Except for fridays where we have 7½ hours (of which ½ hour is lunch)

37 hours in total/week.

I'm perfectly happy with this.

Cheers
Gubbi

Humus,

My personal optimal work week is 8 hours a day, 4 days a week (32 hour week). I would be paid 20% less than someone that worked a full 40 hours a week but I would get to spend 3 days off with my family.

As long as I have enough for my family to eat well, have a decent house, reliable transportation, and a bit extra for luxury items, then that is all I really need. The time I spend with my family is much more important than any extra money I would get by working more hours in the week.

Dr. Ffreeze

Back