Kinect technology thread

I'd rather play the wave race game with a controller, and maybe use the kinect skeleton for shifting weight, and animating the character.

Not a fan of air-steering.

kinect is a winner

I said from the start kinect is a winner when its an addition too, with either a controller , or the rumored fortazela which is glasses with ir built into and a competition to google glass, kinect can create AAA experiences. People are in for a surprize this gen in regards to kinect.

I caught a TV programme today that had a crime scene scanner that records a 3D scene, with a price of $25,000. It stood on a tripod and took a while to scan the scene from one direction, creating a 3D view. I immediately thought Kinect is faster and more flexible - a Kinect system where you just walk around the scene scanning would generate a full 360 degree view, and with the right system powering it could support much higher resolution by zooming in on areas of interest.

Regardless what happens with XB1, Kinect and the ToF camera are a remarkable step forwards. I wonder how it'll take to get this in a mobile device?

I'm really digging the ability to potentially control any and all A/V devices with the Kinect. I could then maybe stop having to leave the kitchen to change something when I'm having fun cooking. :)

Although I'm not sure I want to buy an entire Xbox One just to have that. They need to release a Kinect remote control. :) Or a cheap set top box without the ability to play games. That would presumably only need 2 Jaguar cores (the cores reserved for OS and apps) and a fraction of the GPU power.

Regards,
SB

Well, this is encouraging. First hand impressions from someone who actually owns and uses a Kinect v.1 with their X360...

http://aussie-gamer.com/article/australian-xbox-one-hands-forza-5-dead-rising-3-ryse/7/

The level of precision compared to the first Kinect is so far improved; I dread the idea of going back home and playing my Xbox 360.

And on perceived response times...

Also improved is the reaction time of the Kinect 2.0. Not even an eighth of a second passed by after my gestures before my jet-skier reacted (by my internal brain calculations). Compared to the first Kinect, which always had me fighting for control, the Kinect 2.0 gave almost instant feedback from my movements to in-game. Many games that suffered from the Kinect’s slow response time would do much better if they were redone for the Xbox One and Kinect 2.0.

Regards,
SB

The thing that worries me about Kinect is that its depth resolution is 512x424.

This sounds fine in isolation, but if we consider the fact that my game is being displayed at 1920x1080 on a 42in TV - it's quite a massive downgrade to turn my room of 200+ins into just 512x424.

The amount of time that I have spent trying to setup a game for my kids to play Kinect 1 is actually depressing to the point that I never really put it on for them anymore (expect maybe Kinect Party).

I really wish that Microsoft had spent the extra $100 on better/faster hardware, than on some peripheral that's very frustrating to use.

This sounds fine in isolation, but if we consider the fact that my game is being displayed at 1920x1080 on a 42in TV - it's quite a massive downgrade to turn my room of 200+ins into just 512x424.

The amount of time that I have spent trying to setup a game for my kids to play Kinect 1 is actually depressing to the point that I never really put it on for them anymore (expect maybe Kinect Party).

I really wish that Microsoft had spent the extra $100 on better/faster hardware, than on some peripheral that's very frustrating to use.

The RGB camera is 1080p. You will not see the depth camera video on your TV.

Buddha - sorry to pour cold water on your enthusiasm, but, as Bill Gates used to say "I never cared about the good news, I allways wanted to be the first to hear the bad news"

"Why I'm A Little Bit Worried About Kinect"
http://kotaku.com/why-im-a-little-bit-worried-about-kinect-1381738496

That article makes no sense, he goes as far to say that there were times where the Kinect didn't even recognize as a person and when it did his skeleton it completely messed up and was all over the place. He then continued to say his KSR model didn't even look vaguely like him and more and more stuff.

Of course he took no pictures or videos to actually show any of this and we have impressions, videos and pictures that don't show any of this.

The resolution is more than fine to pick all the details they want at the target distances.
It might not seem like a lot, given it's a marginal upgrade from Kinect 1 resolution, but keep in mind that Kinect 1 measured depth by interpolation, and so the actual depth resolution was a lot less (even if the image was 320x240), while for kinect 2 it actually calculates depth for each pixel.

Buddha - sorry to pour cold water on your enthusiasm, but, as Bill Gates used to say "I never cared about the good news, I allways wanted to be the first to hear the bad news"

"Why I'm A Little Bit Worried About Kinect"
http://kotaku.com/why-im-a-little-bit-worried-about-kinect-1381738496

That's pretty amazing that he's had more problems with Kinect v.2 in the short time he had to use it than I have had in the entire 2 years that I have been using Kinect v.1.

I won't comment on his experiences other than that. :)

Regards,
SB

And here's another Kinect Sports: Rivals preview and not issues at all:

http://aussie-gamer.com/article/australian-xbox-one-hands-forza-5-dead-rising-3-ryse/7/

kin5.jpg

I'm sure I saw this Popular Science bit while ago.

The auto sign-in feature was next to useless on the original Kinect. That could be brilliant now with the personalised Xbox Guide/dashboard, and better sensor.

Kinect was much maligned because people were judging it by the first iteration. NUI is going to come in a big way with xbox one. Glad they stuck by it, think its gonna pay off. xbox show my shit

Back