The non-standard game interfaces discussion thread (move, voice, vitality, etc.)

*nod* *nod* Should be on by default for an "open" mic like PSEye.

Not sure if it works well. I'll try tonight too when no one is in my office.
Will yell at someone. :devilish:

EDIT: According to wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_system_software
the feature was added in firmware 3.00 (Back in 1 September 2009)

Tried it at home. Works for me !
Echo was reduced noticeably. No echo for my regular volume.

If I pump up the volume further (until I hear some echo again), I'd need to recalibrate. Beyond certain point (i.e., super loud), it would not help anymore.

It works quite well. Using PSEye, without noise cancellation and high volume I'd get terrible feedback and echo, but with this I get a single reverb and that's it. Would have been a useful feature if I had known about it before getting the headset! :p I suppose it will be good if I ever videochat.

Wasn't that always in Siri?

Android 4 is getting that too apparently, and also stuff like face recognition (though for unlocking your phone I doubt that's useful, but we'll see - maybe just instead of the normal 'swipe').

I deleted Siri from my 3GS last time (too slow !).

Was Siri integrated with Wolfram Alpha before ? The domain web services basically carry out the actions, but Siri and/or Alpha answers the other questions (like do you love me ?) it seems.

Sony Patent Reveals Biometric PS3 Controller And Handheld
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/11/01/sony-patent-reveals-biometric-ps3-controller-and-handheld/

Sony’s proposed devices will measure three biometric factors: galvanic skin resistance, electrocardio data, and electro-muscular data or in plain English – how moist your skin is, your heart rhythm, and muscle movements. All of this information will be sent into a video game by simply holding a controller or handheld. How are games going to use this? Sony has a list of ideas.

Nintendo Patent Reveals Accessory That Turns A Wii Remote Into A Touchpad
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/11/0...sory-that-turns-a-wii-remote-into-a-touchpad/

Wii U’s defining feature is a giant touchpad controller. While one player controls Samus’ spaceship, other players may have tiny touch screens of their own. A Japanese patent application filed by Nintendo reveals an accessory you slide on to a Wii remote and turns it into a touchpad.

The magic of mirrors makes the device work. When you touch the pad an infrared LED turns on and the amplified beams from the LED bounce off the mirror and are interpreted by the controller as position data. If you don’t touch the pad, the remote works just like a standard Wii remote.

Yeah, right. Take a look at the diagram and see this thing will never see the light of day:

image15.png

really funny indeed :LOL:

I just saw a presentation of the THQ udraw thingy for 360 and I wonder if the thing could be a way to rip for cheap most of the WiiU controller in term of gameplay for cheap. As it is it looks to big too thick for me it also lack analogue sticks, etc. Anyway possibly another brain fart of mine but I could see some use for say 4.3" (or a bit bigger) touch pad in the middle of a pad from strategy games or specific gameplay (aka DS) as well as emailing, posting stuff quickly on social networks / internet (backed by hand righting recognition software) etc.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/03/sony-patented-wii-u-esque-controller-pics-to-prove-it/#continued
sony-patent-app-4.png

Came across this article by accident

It looks like Sony had similar ideas to that of the WiiU in 2010 and patented a similar technology.
Ironic that another technology that Sony also had in mind, competition moved sooner with an actual product or by hugely using it as a competitive advantage. Motion controls? Controller free gaming? Voice recognition?
Well now this.

I wonder if Nintendo's and Sony's patent violate each other's and if Sony can come up with an actual product too, or use the Vita without violating any of Nintendo's patents.

Honestly crap like this should not warrant a patent, it's just logical evolution of a remote. There have been touchscreen remotes for years.

isn't there a patent for playing with a cat and a laser pointer?

here it is.
Method_of_exercising_a_cat.png

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=5443036
Claims

1. A method of inducing aerobic exercise in an unrestrained cat comprising the steps of:

(a) directing an intense coherent beam of invisible light produced by a hand-held laser apparatus to produce a bright highly-focused pattern of light at the intersection of the beam and an opaque surface, said pattern being of visual interest to a cat; and
(b) selectively redirecting said beam out of the cat's immediate reach to induce said cat to run and chase said beam and pattern of light around an exercise area.

2. The method of claim 1 wherein said bright pattern of light is small in area relative to a paw of the cat.

3. The method of claim 1 wherein said beam remains invisible between said laser and said opaque surface until impinging on said opaque surface.

4. The method of claim 1 wherein step (b) includes sweeping said beam at an angular speed to cause said pattern to move along said opaque surface at a speed in the range of five to twenty-five feet per second.

Instantly invalidated in the second word.
A method of inducing aerobic exercise in an unrestrained cat comprising the steps of:
You can't patent methods, only inventions. It needs 'method and apparatus'. If this patent was granted than it shows the patent office doesn't do its job any more.

Dang, what I'd give to be a patent clerk. Even easier than being a weatherman (who have no repercussions for being useless at their jobs and predictiong the weather wrongly).

Instantly invalidated in the second word.
You can't patent methods, only inventions. It needs 'method and apparatus'. If this patent was granted than it shows the patent office doesn't do its job any more.

Dang, what I'd give to be a patent clerk. Even easier than being a weatherman (who have no repercussions for being useless at their jobs and predictiong the weather wrongly).
Well, actually, in South africa, they proposed a law (I don't know if it has passed yet) in which a weatherman can get 10 years in jail and a $500 000 fine if they predict the weather incorrectly...

Back