Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Well, why should I? I got better thing to do with my time than to play (seemingly) mediocre hack'n'slash games.

Perhaps you should find something better to do with your time than troll the threads about games you will never play. If you don't, you will be forced to.

Perhaps you should find something better to do with your time than troll the threads about games you will never play. If you don't, you will be forced to.

Exactly where did I troll? The last post?

I (mistakenly?) thought that Ryse is in the same genre as Bayonetta and God of War. People here say that I am wrong and it is more like Batman AA. But nobody seem to be able to explain how it is different (except shredenvain). The only difference seems to be that Ryse is lacking a lot of mechanics that are present in the games I mentioned.

Now, in this thread there are some people that think Ryse is an awesome while most reviewers (professional and recreational) consider Ryse mediocre. I am interested in finding out why this discrepancy exist and if I might actually like Ryse. I had written Ryse of as of no interest to me, but it is possible that the reviewers are wrong. But instead of discussing that people like RudeCurve calls my questions "dumb" without providing any justification. And I am the one that gets accused of trolling....

Exactly where did I troll? The last post?

I (mistakenly?) thought that Ryse is in the same genre as Bayonetta and God of War. People here say that I am wrong and it is more like Batman AA. But nobody seem to be able to explain how it is different (except shredenvain). The only difference seems to be that Ryse is lacking a lot of mechanics that are present in the games I mentioned.

Now, in this thread there are some people that think Ryse is an awesome while most reviewers (professional and recreational) consider Ryse mediocre. I am interested in finding out why this discrepancy exist and if I might actually like Ryse. I had written Ryse of as of no interest to me, but it is possible that the reviewers are wrong. But instead of discussing that people like RudeCurve calls my questions "dumb" without providing any justification. And I am the one that gets accused of trolling....

In high level terms you can basically consider Bayonetta a high fantasy action spectacle with little to no connection to reality.

Ryse, on the other hand, is closer to a reality simulation spectacle with a touch of fantasy and alternate history based on real history.

As such where you can fly around and dash willy nilly anywhere in Bayonetta while doing things that are impossible to do in reality that won't be the case for Ryse.

Ryse is grounded much more firmly in the reality aspect. Hence, hiring a person who has heavily studied and attempted to recreate how Roman soldier's actually fought. Hence the real world locations. Hence the basis on real history but with a fantasy twist. As such the character you play is limited for the most part to what an actual human being can do. And the combat is heavily influenced by and mimics the combat styles that Roman soldiers used.

They are both in 3rd person and they both feature melee combat. That's pretty much where any and all simularities end.

The combat is driven by the focus of each game. Hence why Bayonetta is a complete and total polar opposite to Ryse.

While Ryse doesn't go full on combat simulation like Chivalry: Medieval Combat or War of the Roses it is far closer to those than to a highly stylized combat in a game like Bayonetta or even Batman: AA (I used that as a comparison point because neither Chivalry nor War of the Roses exist on consoles, yet). The only concession to fantasy that Ryse makes for its combat is the ability to do a limited dash from one enemy to another similar to Batman: AA but not as reality breaking.

Unlike Chivalry: Medieval Combat or War of the Roses, however, Ryse is more than a Medieval combat simulator, it also offers a storyline and a traditional single player game. Again, however, heavily based on and constrained by reality.

In the same way you would not compare God of War with Heavy Rain (high fantasy action spectacle versus reality based spectacle with a touch of fantasy), you shouldn't even attempt to compare Ryse with a game like Bayonetta. And hence, why you give off the very strong impression of trolling even if that isn't your intention. I mean, what would you think if someone went into the Heavy Rain thread and said this game is mediocre in all ways compared to God of War?

There, are you satisfied?

Regards,
SB

In high level terms you can basically consider Bayonetta a high fantasy action spectacle with little to no connection to reality.

Ryse, on the other hand, is closer to a reality simulation spectacle with a touch of fantasy and alternate history based on real history.

As such where you can fly around and dash willy nilly anywhere in Bayonetta while doing things that are impossible to do in reality that won't be the case for Ryse.

Ryse is grounded much more firmly in the reality aspect. Hence, hiring a person who has heavily studied and attempted to recreate how Roman soldier's actually fought. Hence the real world locations. Hence the basis on real history but with a fantasy twist. As such the character you play is limited for the most part to what an actual human being can do. And the combat is heavily influenced by and mimics the combat styles that Roman soldiers used.

They are both in 3rd person and they both feature melee combat. That's pretty much where any and all simularities end.

The combat is driven by the focus of each game. Hence why Bayonetta is a complete and total polar opposite to Ryse.

While Ryse doesn't go full on combat simulation like Chivalry: Medieval Combat or War of the Roses it is far closer to those than to a highly stylized combat in a game like Bayonetta or even Batman: AA (I used that as a comparison point because neither Chivalry nor War of the Roses exist on consoles, yet). The only concession to fantasy that Ryse makes for its combat is the ability to do a limited dash from one enemy to another similar to Batman: AA but not as reality breaking.

Unlike Chivalry: Medieval Combat or War of the Roses, however, Ryse is more than a Medieval combat simulator, it also offers a storyline and a traditional single player game. Again, however, heavily based on and constrained by reality.

In the same way you would not compare God of War with Heavy Rain (high fantasy action spectacle versus reality based spectacle with a touch of fantasy), you shouldn't even attempt to compare Ryse with a game like Bayonetta. And hence, why you give off the very strong impression of trolling even if that isn't your intention. I mean, what would you think if someone went into the Heavy Rain thread and said this game is mediocre in all ways compared to God of War?

There, are you satisfied?

Regards,
SB

I think that is a pretty accurate description of the game myself.
It may not be for everyone but I really enjoy the game. The combat might seem a little limited compared to God of War and DMC but it is never boring to me. It actually feels more satisfying than Batman's combat because of the pacing and tactical things you have to do togain back health as well as XP and Focus. There are no power ups in the game you have to fight to regain health. Then you have the ooccasional sphere throwing and crossbow shooting as well as forming up your solders.

The PC version looks slightly sharper but I'm not seeing much difference other than slight color variation in the sky from certain portions of the levels. It's pretty amazing that Ryse still offers the best console graphics despite being a launch game.

Biggest difference is just the much higher framerate, should make it far more enjoyable to play on the PC. I plan on buying it a second time. :D

Regards,
SB

What was all this PR talk weeks ago about Ryse for PC having superior assets and texture quality right from the mouth of one of its developers?

Did they chaing their mind and decide to not release the superior textures?

What was all this PR talk weeks ago about Ryse for PC having superior assets and texture quality right from the mouth of one of its developers?

Did they chaing their mind and decide to not release the superior textures?

I think it is to early to know if there are superior assets in the Pc version.
What DF examined was a 2 level demo in which they state they dont know if it's the final build or not. They also said that texture quality is automatically tied to your cards VRAM size.

I think that Ryse is exactly as Heavenly Sword. For the record...I think both of them are very good games. Both feature crazy good graphics (for their time), simple but good and satisfying combat, some other gameplay mechanics that occasionally change pace from time to time and a both with a heavy focus on character and story telling.

Yes, Ryse is X1's HS...in a very positive way.

Yesterday I have finally completed my first playthrough of the campaign at Centurion Difficult.

What a great game and incredible entertainment piece!!! I confirm all my impressions and more, Ryse is an awesome game and probably one of the best new AAA Ip in years.

To me Crytek has managed to produce a blockbuster game that deserves to be up there with Gears, Uncharted and Halo. In a perfect world, and maybe in a different time and setting of this industry, Ryse should have sold millions of units.

Many compliments to Crytek and to the people that have worked on Ryse, probably they will not be rewarded with immediate sales, but I more than sure that in time Ryse will achieve a cult status. A very much well deserved cult status.

Still I really hope that with the PC release, many "free minded" gamers could finally enjoy this great game!

Remember play it a Centurion Level!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the xbone owners I know who are or were with Xbox since xbox 1 and now have xbone are very much more into shooters...they may try other genres but honestly shooters are and certain ones are selling millions.

As impressive as Ryse is as a game it was just overshadowed by titanfall...

Expecting games to sell millions of copies isn't such a great idea...just making them different and than the crowd is enough.

just tried Ryse. Holy hell! the game bloody awesome in all high setting (except texture, on low).
its also cheap, around 22 USD on steam (my country just get official steam support, wonderful prices for all stuff).

does the game become a slog later on? or every level will be awesome?

just tried Ryse. Holy hell! the game bloody awesome in all high setting (except texture, on low). its also cheap, around 22 USD on steam (my country just get official steam support, wonderful prices for all stuff). does the game become a slog later on? or every level will be awesome?

Will get even better!

Playing it here too, very good looking game and plays great too. My wifes also loving it, not sure why it was rated so poorly. Incidentally this is one of the few games were Im preferring to play on the TV rather than the monitor.

have you tried to run it in 3d? Its cryengine so it should have great 3d support right? (by command-line or by custom injector profile)

have you tried to run it in 3d? Its cryengine so it should have great 3d support right? (by command-line or by custom injector profile)

3D crashes the game for me (possibly related to my multiple displays) but having done a little investigation it's apparently possible to get it working in compatibility mode via hacks. TBH I'm not really impressed with compatibility mode so haven't put any effort into trying to get it to work. I expect NV will bring out a compatibility profile at some point so I may give it a go then but my feeling towards 3D Vision atm is that it's basically dead. The last game I've played that wokred reasonably well with it was Lego Marvel. Nothing I've tried recently works with it which includes Ryse, The Evil Within and Wolfenstien.

It looks like the future of 3D is in VR - I just hope it gets better support than 3D vision did. I guess the lack of support at least frees me up to replace my monitor with a gsync/freesync enabled model though. I won't upgrade on resolution until I've got a 4K TV and it's affordable since I'm dependent on cloning with my TV.

Actually started playing the PC edition today. A very gorgeous game indeed... just some of the gameplay is very repetitive and uninspiring at times. Anyhow, I created a thread on multiplatform games, more specifically the PC edition, and the performance (fps) penalties with different AA solutions.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=65774

Ryse2014-11-0304-34-31-95_zps5d42a3c4.png~original

Finished this recently, it's hands down the best looking thing I've ever played, peaking at the wickerman fight IMO. Gameplay, story and especially production values were all really good too. I was just a little disappointed with the ending which IMO
definitely lacked sufficient interactivity and could have been a bit happier.

Agreed, the last couple of fights are a bit of a slog without really changing what you need to do tactics wise. Still a stunning game though and lots of fun. Multiplayers worth a look as well as it carries on the theme or the large arena battles.

Back