Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

I really and really do not understand all the critics or the complaints about this game... What is happening to videogame players or to the so called game critics?

Still I find incredible that this game has not sold tons of milions of units, and that is not become the new franchise to have (at least still not).
Could it not just be that your tastes differ from the majority who played this game? What ends up being a great game for you was mediocre for others. That's how tastes work - different people like different things, and what pleases one doesn't necessarily please another. For one thing, the hack'n'slash genre hasn't been a particularly great selling genre for a while now, so expecting one to be a landmark franchise is pretty...optimistic (one could say 'blind', and perhaps that's the same blindness to reality that led Crytek to all its financial troubles where it failed to understand what majority gamers actually want to buy? 'Let's make a killing of a few hours long hack'n'slash! Everyone will want to buy that!').

Probably I fail to remember that this industry is still destined to and dominated by very young people and adolescents.
So Ryse fall victim of the fanboys, of the wide-spread anti-microsoft sentiment, of the "X1 is terribly weak" hammering propaganda, and in general of the astute and subtle Undercover Marketing brought on forums, specific sites etc...
Occam's Razor suggests that people that rated the game lower than you (Metacritic scores of 60% from reviews and 58% from user reviews) just have different tastes to you, rather than are console-warriors with an agenda to destroy the underdog. Certainly the professional reviews have nothing to gain from conspiring to give out low scores - we even have conspiracy theories that the official media is controlled by the game companies to hand out lovely scores because otherwise they'll be refused access to content!

Ultimately, to accuse the whole of the rest of the entire world of extreme bias because they don't share your tastes in gaming is a bit of an extreme conclusion. You liked the game and recommend it. Great. Don't try to interpret everyone else's based on yours though. The reason some of my favourite games (or movies, or anything else) haven't been rated as highly by the pros as myself isn't because they'll all on the take or blind fanboys or being manipulated by aliens; it's because they don't like the same things as me, plain and simple.

Could it not just be that your tastes differ from the majority who played this game? What ends up being a great game for you was mediocre for others. That's how tastes work - different people like different things, and what pleases one doesn't necessarily please another. For one thing, the hack'n'slash genre hasn't been a particularly great selling genre for a while now, so expecting one to be a landmark franchise is pretty...optimistic (one could say 'blind', and perhaps that's the same blindness to reality that led Crytek to all its financial troubles where it failed to understand what majority gamers actually want to buy? 'Let's make a killing of a few hours long hack'n'slash! Everyone will want to buy that!').

Occam's Razor suggests that people that rated the game lower than you (Metacritic scores of 60% from reviews and 58% from user reviews) just have different tastes to you, rather than are console-warriors with an agenda to destroy the underdog. Certainly the professional reviews have nothing to gain from conspiring to give out low scores - we even have conspiracy theories that the official media is controlled by the game companies to hand out lovely scores because otherwise they'll be refused access to content!

Ultimately, to accuse the whole of the rest of the entire world of extreme bias because they don't share your tastes in gaming is a bit of an extreme conclusion. You liked the game and recommend it. Great. Don't try to interpret everyone else's based on yours though. The reason some of my favourite games (or movies, or anything else) haven't been rated as highly by the pros as myself isn't because they'll all on the take or blind fanboys or being manipulated by aliens; it's because they don't like the same things as me, plain and simple.

Shifty, I disagree with your reply.
It is a well constructed and moderated post as always, but I find it to be a general argument that fit well with "my kind of post", but it doesn't fit well with Ryse.

In the end I do not care much about Ryse, or the general consensus about Ryse, but for someone that loves videogames for far more than 30 years, it is unbelievable that this game failed to reach the success deserved while other games managed to perform far better even though are really average game!

For Ryse it is not fair to simply reduce all to the "different tastes", "niche tastes" topics.
Especially after all the "QTEs" and "sub-hd" propaganda.
Especially after the anti Crytek movement that has begun when they start to develop for console market. Especially after the MS is the devil movement after DRM, kinect, etc...

Simply if you love this hobby how can judge mediocre or average a game like Ryse? How can someone, as a gamer, does not feel genuinely and happly entertained while play this game?

Probably this game resonate with me more than other, but Ryse is what great videogame are, just like Gears, Uncharted and so on (but maybe even more core-audience oriented): It has great gameplay, great main character, great setting, great graphic & sound etc..

It is a game that simply deserves to be played.

Shifty, I really suggest you to play Ryse at centurion difficult at least untill the end of the second level.
Then I really would like to know you opinion about this topic.

Simply if you love this hobby how can judge mediocre or average a game like Ryse? How can someone, as a gamer, does not feel genuinely and happly entertained while play this game?
I can't speak for Ryse, but I can certainly point to other games people have raved about that I've not been keen about, and vice versa.

Probably this game resonate with me more than other
So you have a strong subjective response to Ryse, which is likely going to cloud your interpretation of other's views.

..but Ryse is what great videogame are, just like Gears, Uncharted and so on (but maybe even more core-audience oriented): It has great gameplay, great main character, great setting, great graphic & sound etc..
On 'objective' assessments like graphics and production values, it's scored very highly. But in things like 'gameplay', you hit people's tastes. You cannot objectively assign a score to a game and, as such, identify a score lower than that objective score is proof of media bias.

Shifty, I really suggest you to play Ryse at centurion difficult at least untill the end of the second level.
Then I really would like to know you opinion about this topic.
I can tell you now I won't rate it a great score. I don't particularly like the genre and I tend to skip over game stories. I'd probably give it a 7 or 8 out of ten simply because a game of that ilk cannot possibly score higher with me. Like racing games. Put me in front of a racing game and no matter how gorgeous it is, or realistic, or anything, I'll shrug and say, "yeah, 8 out of 10," as a personal assessment because I quite frankly don't like racing games. Had my fix with GT2 and GT3 and now I'm done! Now if I was to try and present a review score as someone who is a fan of the genre, I may come up with a different (better) score, but that's not really what a review is about. A review is what you, personally, thought. And personal taste is a huge influence.

What's happened here is you've really liked this game - it resonates with you - and you feel it's a travesty it's not getting the recognition you feel it deserves. I'm sure we've all been there with some film or piece of music or some such. What you're doing wrong though is taking that response and interpreting a 'conspiracy theory' by everyone who doesn't feel the same way as you. Yes, call it a travesty. Yes, extol the virtues of this game and promote it. But don't go saying, "every low score is a lie and people have all been manipulated by an anti-MS/Crytek movement." That's not what's happened, not for any game that has scored far lower than one may hope/expect. eg. PS4 games. Warframe - 64% metacritic, yet rave reviews on this board by people who have really enjoyed playing it. KZ:Shadowfall - 73%. Why not 90%? Because it was a conspiracy? Or it just wasn't that good in many people's subjective opinions?

I really like Heavenly Sword, but I was not emotionally attached enough to not understand it had weaknesses that some people could not overlook. Games are a form of art so most everything about them is subjective. Just because you love the game, don't expect the rest of the world to. When they don't love it, don't cry media bias or some other nonsense.

I really like Heavenly Sword, but I was not emotionally attached enough to not understand it had weaknesses that some people could not overlook. Games are a form of art so most everything about them is subjective. Just because you love the game, don't expect the rest of the world to. When they don't love it, don't cry media bias or some other nonsense.

People, I do not know.
To me the "taste" argument is absolutely out of topic with Ryse.

I have spent 2 minutes of my time and I have found this:

Gamespot 4/10
Eurogamer 5/10
CVG -> 5/10
Joystiq-> 2,5/5
Nowgamer -> 5,5/10

If you are a gamer, even thought you HATE hack n slash, HATE 3d person game, HOW you can give 4 or 5 out of 10 to a game like Ryse ?!?!?
Even more, if you are a games reviewer, how can you judge a game like Ryse in this way ????

To me, here we are not talking about personal taste anymore, I see more a deliberate attempt to strike down this game.
I hate to say that but here I really see a recurrent pattern in those reviews, that has been anticipated first and echoed then on certain forums.

After have played personally with Ryse, those reviews smell really badly...

Then everyone is free to believe what he want to believe, that the "Undercover Marketing" does not exist, that "Herd management" are just words for some crazy marketers, etc...

Anyway, who cares, probably during the week-end I will finish the campaign and then the Colosseum waits me for the multiplayer!

DrJay24, I sincerely invite you to try Ryse (at centurion level). Then let me know what do you think about all those 4-5 review scores.

Who cares. If you like a game, just like it and keep playing it. Don't worry about review scores, or what other people think. As long as people can explain why they do or do not like something, it's all fair game. Just don't take it personally.

People, I do not know.
To me the "taste" argument is absolutely out of topic with Ryse.

I have spent 2 minutes of my time and I have found this:

Gamespot 4/10
Eurogamer 5/10
CVG -> 5/10
Joystiq-> 2,5/5
Nowgamer -> 5,5/10

If you are a gamer, even thought you HATE hack n slash, HATE 3d person game, HOW you can give 4 or 5 out of 10 to a game like Ryse ?!?!?
Even more, if you are a games reviewer, how can you judge a game like Ryse in this way ????

To me, here we are not talking about personal taste anymore, I see more a deliberate attempt to strike down this game.
I hate to say that but here I really see a recurrent pattern in those reviews, that has been anticipated first and echoed then on certain forums.

After have played personally with Ryse, those reviews smell really badly...

Then everyone is free to believe what he want to believe, that the "Undercover Marketing" does not exist, that "Herd management" are just words for some crazy marketers, etc...

Anyway, who cares, probably during the week-end I will finish the campaign and then the Colosseum waits me for the multiplayer!

DrJay24, I sincerely invite you to try Ryse (at centurion level). Then let me know what do you think about all those 4-5 review scores.

I dont know. It reminds me of another game. I saw people being supportive for Devil May Cry 2 when it started getting sucky reviews. I as a DMC fan doubt the second would suck balls that much. Which I made the mistake of buying it brand new full price and made me hate those who were saying that the low scored reviews were unfair. Me? I d give it a 3/10. I wouldnt be surprised if this is another similar case but this is one game I would try if I ever get an XB1 out of curiosity of finding out.

How do you think Ryse compares to games in a similar genre like Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising and God of War HD?

I know you were not asking me, but as someone who owns Ryse Im not sure those games are in the same genre. I mean sure they all feature melee combat, but Ryse doesnt have a skill tree or multi button combos. Ryse also doesnt have multiple weapons in the single player game.Im sure this is the point you are trying to make. Still it doesnt mean Ryse isnt a fun game. The combat in Ryse is much more comparable to games like Batman Arkham Asylum and Assassin's Creed where your timing means alot.

I know you were not asking me, but as someone who owns Ryse Im not sure those games are in the same genre. I mean sure they all feature melee combat, but Ryse doesnt have a skill tree or multi button combos. Ryse also doesnt have multiple weapons in the single player game.Im sure this is the point you are trying to make. Still it doesnt mean Ryse isnt a fun game. The combat in Ryse is much more comparable to games like Batman Arkham Asylum and Assassin's Creed where your timing means alot.

I haven't played Ryse. But from what little I played of Batman AA and AC their fighting systems seems extremely basic (press the counter button when the opponent flashes!). Compared to Bayonetta I do not think timing matters much less in those games.

But anyway, if you haven't played games in a similar genre it is very easy to think that something mediocre is incredible. And it kind of seems like that is something happening in this thread. But I could be wrong of course, it has happened before, believe it or not :)

Comparing Bayonetta to Ryse is dumb...apples to oranges...kinda like comparing boxing to martial arts to wrestling...*facepalm*

Nice condescending there. So what makes Ryse that much different from Bayonetta, except being seemingly crappier in any way?

Nice condescending there. So what makes Ryse that much different from Bayonetta, except being seemingly crappier in any way?

To be fair, despite admitting you've never played Ryse you seem quite convinced that its crap compared to other games you have played.

Wow. I'd like to hear in what universe Ryse is even remotely similar to Bayonetta. That's like saying what makes Uncharted better than COD, except being crappier in every way? They aren't even remotely similar games. And despite me, personally, not liking Uncharted, I wouldn't go so far as to try to compare the two. Because you know, just like Ryse and Bayonetta, they aren't even remotely similar other than that there are guns in them.

The only games I can think of that are even somewhat like Ryse is Batman:Arkham Asylum and to a very shallow extent, AC (and only the combat really and perhaps focus on historic settings).

Regards,
SB

Wow. I'd like to hear in what universe Ryse is even remotely similar to Bayonetta. That's like saying what makes Uncharted better than COD, except being crappier in every way? They aren't even remotely similar games. And despite me, personally, not liking Uncharted, I wouldn't go so far as to try to compare the two. Because you know, just like Ryse and Bayonetta, they aren't even remotely similar other than that there are guns in them.

The only games I can think of that are even somewhat like Ryse is Batman:Arkham Asylum and to a very shallow extent, AC (and only the combat really and perhaps focus on historic settings).

Regards,
SB

So Ryse is so original that you can't compare it to any other game except Batman:AA? When I played Batman there was a lot of climbing around. Is there a lot of climbing around in Ryse?

the way to answer your questions is to play it. everything else is just jaw jacking.

/end scene

Well, why should I? I got better thing to do with my time than to play (seemingly) mediocre hack'n'slash games. And since no one can explain why Ryse is different from all other games that SEEM to be in the same genre I think I will conclude that nobody who like Ryse has experience with other games in the genre.

Back