Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Okay, so lets say these people that prefer the full screen blur introduced by non-native resolution have a valid point. Does that mean that every game where the PS4 exceeds the XBO resolution looks better on XBO to these people? And by extension does that mean that any game on the XBO or PS4 running at 1080p looks better on a PC that can run it at 900p or lower?
Not necessarily. Could be a per game preference. For example, I prefer 30fps for photorealistic games (such as MGSV) but there are titles that I think look better at 60fps (such as FFXV).

This sounds like awsome news for PC gamers to me who can apparently, at least for subset of people acheive better graphics than the consoles using less powerful hardware. Have I got that wrong?
If you prefer or don't mind the blurry look then yes.

Not necessarily. Could be a per game preference.

Naturally. I'd be curious as to your take on what the ideal mix of resolution and frame rate in some of the games listed here would be:

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Perhaps just a few key examples? I'm keen to try out your theory myself since I own a few of these games and should be able to customize resolution and frame rate to whatever's considered the ideal.

Naturally. I'd be curious as to your take on what the ideal mix of resolution and frame rate in some of the games listed here would be:

http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Perhaps just a few key examples? I'm keen to try out your theory myself since I own a few of these games and should be able to customize resolution and frame rate to whatever's considered the ideal.

Ok I get what you are saying, but I still cant completely agree with you.
For one thing being sub 1080p does not at all guarantee a game looks blurry even with an upscale is applied. Take 2 Xbox one launch games as an example Dead Rising 3 and BF4.
If anything these games look pretty jaggie but not blurry. KI doesnt look blurry.
I guess it really boils down to what a person considers blurry. There are many things in console games that can cause blur that arent res related. Fxaa, ghosting, depth of field.
It also depends on what platform the person playing the game is used to playing on.
If a console gamer comes from playing PS360 games only, the jump from games as low as 600p to games at 900p will be a huge improvement to them. On the other side if you are mainly a Pc gamer with a rig that allows you to comfortably play 1440p then sure 900p upscaled to 1080p on a console will look blurry.

There's no ideal since it's based on personal preference. Since you can customize the settings pick a resolution/framerate and test them out. It's the only way to figure out your own preferences. Hell, sometimes I even prefer to play modern games on a 14" SDTV :devilish:

Pro-tip, don't test 30fps right after testing 60fps.

Not necessarily. Could be a per game preference. For example, I prefer 30fps for photorealistic games (such as MGSV) but there are titles that I think look better at 60fps (such as FFXV).

Nothing to do with the thread, but FFXV will most likely be 30fps targeting 1080p on PS4...99% of SE's games have never targeted 60fps. Not KH and none of the previous FF's outside of maybe the earlier NES and SNES ones

Nothing to do with the thread, but FFXV will most likely be 30fps targeting 1080p on PS4...99% of SE's games have never targeted 60fps. Not KH and none of the previous FF's outside of maybe the earlier NES and SNES ones

Oh sure I know that. I run game trailers through motion interpolation to test this stuff (unless they're already 60fps).

I didn't mention anything about blur in Ryse. I'm talking about general blur that exists from upscaling (which is a fact, not opinion) as well as the general increase in aliasing and shimmer caused by lower resolution (again, fact, not opinion). Great AA as well as the general tone of the graphics can reduce how obvious those things are but resolution always has an impact regardless of how small.

My point is that comparing the negative impact of lowering resolution to the positive impact of techniques which implement targeted "blur type effects" to specific areas of the screen is totally invalid.

Ryse is a great example actually of upscaling that introduces little to no blur other than that which is intended cinematically. Anyone that has actually played it will be able to tell you that.

Okay, so lets say these people that prefer the full screen blur introduced by non-native resolution have a valid point. Does that mean that every game where the PS4 exceeds the XBO resolution looks better on XBO to these people? And by extension does that mean that any game on the XBO or PS4 running at 1080p looks better on a PC that can run it at 900p or lower?

This sounds like awsome news for PC gamers to me who can apparently, at least for subset of people acheive better graphics than the consoles using less powerful hardware. Have I got that wrong?

I run my games on 720p on my 1080p TV in the living room. Not only because the IQ at that viewing distance makes 720p indistinguishable from 1080p but also actually allows the text in PC games to be readable.

It also allows me to crank up more visual bells and whistles in the graphics options at 720p than I could at 1080p. All of which actually does make the 720p version look noticeably better than the 1080p version.

All, without any blurring noticeable by people on the living room couch. Now, if you get up and stand right in front of the TV, you'll be able to notice it, but not from any of the normal seating positions in my living room.

Oh sure I know that. I run game trailers through motion interpolation to test this stuff (unless they're already 60fps).

Heh, I've actually started to do this with most of my 30 fps and 24 fps tralier/video/movie content. After doing 60 FPS for a while now, I really cannot stand the 24 FPS "cinematic" look. It looks incredibly unnatural and disjointed to my eyes now.

It's time consuming and some content doesn't interpolate correctly to 60 fps, but in general it creates a far nicer, more realistic, and less annoying viewing experience than 24/30 fps.

I can't wait to try out Ryse at 60 FPS on PC. While visually stunning on the XBO, the 30 FPS limitation was a bit of a downer with regards to the visuals.

Regards,
SB

Ryse is a great example actually of upscaling that introduces little to no blur other than that which is intended cinematically. Anyone that has actually played it will be able to tell you that.
Isn't that partly the "anything looks sharp when it's an in-focus object in a heavily-DoF'd scene" effect? That is, you're fine in a "cinematically-blurred" game like Ryse, but it might have an impact on a Ridge Racer 7.

Funny thing: it was only recently that I first found myself bothered by the blurriness that arises from the DVD format. In most films, I pretty much don't notice unless I'm consciously paying attention to it. But dat Frozen angular graphics? Details were being very well-captured at 480p, but the blurry reconstruction was terrible for the crisp, clean art style.

I run my games on 720p on my 1080p TV in the living room. Not only because the IQ at that viewing distance makes 720p indistinguishable from 1080p
If we were talking about low-passing the image by setting the console or PC to a lower-res output while keeping the sampling the same, I would have no trouble believing this.

But where sampling discrepancies are concerned, I have a hard time imagining it. In 720p PS360 games, where AA has missed an edge, I can spatially discern the stairsteps from like 15' from our 37" screen, and that's not even getting into the greater issue of thin undersampled crap.

II often wonder just how damn far you have to sit away from the TV to remedy that deficiency
If we're talking about sample rates, it depends on the imagery and how it's being antialiased. Strictly speaking, for any spatial sample rate and viewing distance, you could come up with a scene (made out of sufficiently high-amplitude high-frequency crap) which still aliases visibly (obviously for cartoonishly extreme distances, this requires that the TV have very high-power output, since you need to be able to see the TV's output at all in order to "see aliasing").

I've commented here before on how I can easily make out Halo 3's specular aliasing while standing 53' from our 37" screen, and how the only reason the number isn't much higher is that I can't see the screen from anywhere more than 53' away.

I have finally managed to put my dirty hands on Ryse and... Ryse is really great, probably one of the best new AAA Ip released in the last few years.

I really and really do not understand all the critics or the complaints about this game... What is happening to videogame players or to the so called game critics?

I am playing Ryse at centurion difficulty, and the gameplay is great, the combat mechanics a pure joy, challenging and very very rewarding. I also find the mechanics to be quite realistic, strategic and definitively new with several innovative elements. I still laugh at all the silly chats about the QTE, that are just the final and optional part (even if strategically crucial) of the combat mechanics. And, in truth, I really find the executions (and the upgrade system) really rewarding!

In short, to me Ryse is already a day1 Killer App for the X1:

-) Gameplay, new and challenging;
-) Graphic, honestly it beat everything I see so far on every platform at every resolution :) - (considering also that is a launch title, developed in 1.5 years on a multiplat engine, on an still not definite hardware, with terrible early SDK and early drivers);
-) Great Production values, story & plot, cutscenes, characters, interpretations, musics, everything screams A+++
-) Setting , they need to keep Ryse 2 in ancient Rome (I love it!)
-) Main protagonist: Marius to me is already up there with Chief, Marcus and Nathan.

Still I find incredible that this game has not sold tons of milions of units, and that is not become the new franchise to have (at least still not).

Probably I fail to remember that this industry is still destined to and dominated by very young people and adolescents.
So Ryse fall victim of the fanboys, of the wide-spread anti-microsoft sentiment, of the "X1 is terribly weak" hammering propaganda, and in general of the astute and subtle Undercover Marketing brought on forums, specific sites etc...

I am really happy that Ryse soon it will be released also on PC so that many people could try and enjoy this great game, freeing themselves by the heavy mental burden of "X1 vs PS4" war, or 1080 is better than 900 etc...

Ryse is a really great great game, it has alreay become one of my favourite franchise, and now is it possible to find it at really good prices.
So if you love this hobby, if you still love videogames make yourself a favour and play Ryse at centurion level, you will love it!!!

Probably I fail to remember that this industry is still destined to and dominated by very young people and adolescents.
So Ryse fall victim of the fanboys, of the wide-spread anti-microsoft sentiment, of the "X1 is terribly weak" hammering propaganda, and in general of the astute and subtle Undercover Marketing brought on forums, specific sites etc...

This victim mentality gets old. Maybe it's like every Crytek game made, looks great but not much else is above average.

This victim mentality gets old. Maybe it's like every Crytek game made, looks great but not much else is above average.

IT would be worth playing the game if you havent. You may come to the same understanding as he did. Pinning everything on victim mentality is a cop out.

I have finally managed to put my dirty hands on Ryse and... Ryse is really great, probably one of the best new AAA Ip released in the last few years.

I really and really do not understand all the critics or the complaints about this game... What is happening to videogame players or to the so called game critics?

I am playing Ryse at centurion difficulty, and the gameplay is great, the combat mechanics a pure joy, challenging and very very rewarding. I also find the mechanics to be quite realistic, strategic and definitively new with several innovative elements. I still laugh at all the silly chats about the QTE, that are just the final and optional part (even if strategically crucial) of the combat mechanics. And, in truth, I really find the executions (and the upgrade system) really rewarding!

In short, to me Ryse is already a day1 Killer App for the X1:

-) Gameplay, new and challenging;
-) Graphic, honestly it beat everything I see so far on every platform at every resolution :) - (considering also that is a launch title, developed in 1.5 years on a multiplat engine, on an still not definite hardware, with terrible early SDK and early drivers);
-) Great Production values, story & plot, cutscenes, characters, interpretations, musics, everything screams A+++
-) Setting , they need to keep Ryse 2 in ancient Rome (I love it!)
-) Main protagonist: Marius to me is already up there with Chief, Marcus and Nathan.

Still I find incredible that this game has not sold tons of milions of units, and that is not become the new franchise to have (at least still not).

I am really happy that Ryse soon it will be released also on PC so that many people could try and enjoy this great game, freeing themselves by the heavy mental burden of "X1 vs PS4" war, or 1080 is better than 900 etc...

Ryse is a really great great game, it has alreay become one of my favourite franchise, and now is it possible to find it at really good prices.
So if you love this hobby, if you still love videogames make yourself a favour and play Ryse at centurion level, you will love it!!!

Interesting, you've just changed this from a maybe to a definitely for me. I'm really looking forward to it now.

Ah yes, I have forgot to mention also "The Crytek average game" Slogan...

To me there is nothing average in Ryse, everything as I have said scream AAA+++!

You have to try it, do yourself a favour as a gamer! Then come back here and share your thought!

This seems to me a situation similar to Alan Wake, where people convinced themselves (with the help of some reviewers and forum) that A.W. was an average game.. the resolution issue, no more open world, repetitive, to much tv cliche etc..
And so many people actually lost one of the greatest game of the last gen..
The PC release changed the mind of many and saved A.W., hope the same will happen with Ryse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, you've just changed this from a maybe to a definitely for me. I'm really looking forward to it now.

I am Glad I have help you to make this choice, I am sure you will love Ryse!

Remember to play it at the CENTURION level of difficult ! Let me know what you think about it!

I still have 2 levels left to complete (at least according to the chronology) but soon after I will replay it at legendary, and then try also some multiplayer that seems equally great.

Its worth a playthrough... on centurion mode only.
There is enough there to make the game interesting, the better you are at not getting hit the more you can use your execution powers for different things other than healing up your life bar, and when you do that

a) executions change
b) game is just overall more strategic.

It never needs to be played this way, but there is a small aspect of mastery that comes into play that makes it fun.

I agree that this game is underrated. Bought Ryse day one and it is the only title so far that I havent traded in. I most likely wont ever.

Yeah, the game would have been better received if the default difficulty level weren't so easy. You don't get to really see the combat mechanics in play with it that low. But once you up the difficulty combat becomes far more interesting and the combat mechanics start to shine.

Regards,
SB

my original impressions before the game came out and limited play time was that it looks really nice but it was boring .

however when I got the game a few months after release I took the internet advice of playing it at a much higher difficulty and then I became impressed with the game. Yes its rough around the edges and you can beat it quickly. But it is a fun 5 hour or so ride. I wouldn't say its worth $60 but its certainly worth $20 on the xbox one and if you have a really nice pc it may be worth the $40 on that platform esp if it comes with the dlc (I dunno if it does tho)

Back