Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Tessellation does not have an AI algorithm to make sure it adds polys only where needed
You can determine on the fly where to add polys as each patch can have unique tessellation factors assuming they stitch together properly. So silhouettes can be tessellated more than parts of a surface facing the camera, etc.

I believe tessellation creates some difficulties for the animators since they can't control the tessellated mesh as good as hand modeled ones.
Many movies have used subdivision surfaces and they do just fine with animation. It can mean your animations are specified at a resolution appropriate to them (the base mesh) while the rendering can happen at a different resolution.

Adaptive tessellation solutions can be problematic though. You mention separate patches, for example - using NURBS patch based models was a significant problem on the first LOTR movie, as the patches tended to crack at the seams during rendering. Such issues could become even more problematic with realtime implementations.

I think what Renegade was thinking was more about the need to model for subdiv, where you have to add extra support edges to maintain sharp edges and forms. Here's a 3D modeling thread that shows just how damn complicated it can get:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56014

This is what I was talking about when I mention significantly increased artist time.

With that said, as far as I know the current DX11 implementation of tessellation and displacement is both adaptive and free of cracking issues (as it's not a method that uses patches). The problem is the practical side, where current hardware can not support high enough subdivision levels to be able to use displacement effectively.

According to Crytek's documentation, CryEngine supports three types of tessellation: PN Triangles, Phong and Displacement mapping.

PN Triangles
pn_triangle04tslw.jpg

pn_triangle1oisik.jpg

Phong
tg_giforsyn.gif

Displacement mapping
tesselation_0z2sci.jpg

tesselation_3byksn8.jpg

http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC2/Tessellation+and+Displacement

GPU efficiency is the most likely reason. Too small polygons (1 pixel) may cut fragment rendering performance down to 1/4, since the GPU renders everything in 2x2 quads.

With that said, as far as I know the current DX11 implementation of tessellation and displacement is both adaptive and free of cracking issues (as it's not a method that uses patches). The problem is the practical side, where current hardware can not support high enough subdivision levels to be able to use displacement effectively.
When I said patches I was using Microsoft's terminology which doesn't mean NURBs. Microsoft refers to all tessellated surfaces as patches with the VS and HS operating on control points for the patches.

In that case they've apparently found a way to avoid cracks... Or I haven't seen enough displaced models yet to find any problems :p

GPU efficiency is the most likely reason. Too small polygons (1 pixel) may cut fragment rendering performance down to 1/4, since the GPU renders everything in 2x2 quads.

I really doubt that, they were showing phong tessellation on one of GDC presentations and it wasnt expensive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugFWtLaTwpo&feature=player_detailpage#t=311

And going by description it shouldnt be expensive either
"Phong Tessellation Very approximate smoothing based on normals, suffers from 'inflation', i.e. surface is not perfectly smooth across patch boundaries, looks a bit inflated.
Can be combined with displacement map."
http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/S...ement#TessellationandDisplacement-PNTriangles

I think that just artist messed up and forgot to set it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching a history channel program on Boudica, Queen of the Iceni, I realize exactly how accurate the weapons, tools, armor, formations, tactics and enemies are in Ryse. This game is actually a remarkable recreation of the times in which the game was set.

Nice article about tech behind Ryse from fxguide
http://www.fxguide.com/featured/the-tech-of-cryteks-ryse-son-of-rome/

What a pity that havent showed screenshots with SSDO off and SSDO on.
In one video they also show some info from SDK from a real-time cutscene.
2.2m polys without shadows
1300 draw calls
2.5gb memory used
Quite impressive stuff, it makes me want to replay the game. I've completed it but began a game on the highest difficulty level and left it there.

Also I want to try this Easter Egg.

Easter Egg in Ryse - The Army of the Dead

http://rysesonofrome.com/2013/12/ryse-easter-egg-army-dead/

Watching a history channel program on Boudica, Queen of the Iceni, I realize exactly how accurate the weapons, tools, armor, formations, tactics and enemies are in Ryse. This game is actually a remarkable recreation of the times in which the game was set.
So... she actually existed. I didn't know about that. I liked Ryse, actually, a lot. But the main letdown of the game for me was the part of the story where
you have to kill Boudica. I didn't want to, but the game forces you to do it, the disappointment was so huge that the rest of the story was just padding for me. I hope they revive her in Ryse 2

Graphically this generation so far I think I would probably put Infamous Second Son at the top, then tie Ryse with Killzone.

I would really love to see Crytek improve this engine and farm it out to others. Theres no reason almost no other game other than NBA2k14 reaches the high watermark that Ryse hit upon launch. Almost makes no sense.

I have nothing to play on my XB1 at the moment so I signed up for a free trail of Gamefly (yes I'm a cheap bastard, don't judge me) and I got Ryse as one of my rentals. Should be coming in today! I watched some videos of the campaign and for some reason it seems real fun to play or to just kill some time.

But I'd be lying if I said I didn't rent it for the graphics though. I'm expected to be blown away.

I think the best part from this game is its ending. I mean, all of its graphic potentials of this game are shown perfectly at the ending part,
when the hero/player chases the temple leader that is guarded by hidden Romans soldiers.
Its the best gameplay scene in the entire game. The perfect way to end this game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I got the gameplay down, I was finding it fun and then I started to enjoy the story as well. Until I got the gameplay I hated this game with a passion and did not even want to touch it. I still think the GFX are amazing, some of the forest scenes I wish they were able to go to 1080p, as a few textures are a bit muddy. Overall I am still impressed, the amount of stuff going on, the amount of particle effects, etc. really make it feel more alive. I imagine there was some tradeoff there.

Once I got the gameplay down, I was finding it fun and then I started to enjoy the story as well. Until I got the gameplay I hated this game with a passion and did not even want to touch it. I still think the GFX are amazing, some of the forest scenes I wish they were able to go to 1080p, as a few textures are a bit muddy. Overall I am still impressed, the amount of stuff going on, the amount of particle effects, etc. really make it feel more alive. I imagine there was some tradeoff there.

Its amazing what they accomplished in that game as a launch title. You can tell its still only half as long as it should be, buts its still an utterly beautiful game whether in stills or in motion.

Back