Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

If you upscale a completely antialiased image, it'll be the rough equivalent of applying a certain amount of blur to a higher res version of the same image. I'm sure there's some math to calculate the exact amount of blur, but let's just say that upscaling from native 900p to 1080p is pretty similar to applying a 0.x pixel gaussian blur to a native 1080p image.

So the people that feel a certain amount of blur are probably correct to some level. But it's very hard to compare the visual information in a Ryse image to a native 1080p image with lower quality antialiasing (or no AA at all). It's also hard to decide if it's better to have a lower res native image with less aliasing or a higher less native image with more aliasing. Especially as it also depends on viewing distance: people sitting further from the screen would find it harder to see the difference in resolution, but higher levels of aliasing are quite visible even from a great distance.

Then there's the pixel quality issue, is it better to have less pixels with more complex shading and AA, or more pixels with more aliasing and lower levels of lighting and shading? Another question that just can't be settled IMHO.

All in all the new consoles will offer more choices for developers in terms of more resolution vs. better quality, and we should all be happy to see this. Even though the obvious answer is, of course, to have both - but that's just not possible with limited resources...

Very well said, I agree. Between Naughty Dog, 343i, CD Projekt Red, more Crytek titles, Remedy, Sony Santa Monica, and so many more, we're in for such a treat this gen. I think a lot of the subtle details that make so much difference in the visual presentation are lost in screens, either because it's somehow masked by a blur, not as shiney or visually in your face, or perhaps because you simply aren't getting to see the way the real-time lighting is impacting the overall look, which thus robs you of the greater impact. There's a constant change of exposure throughout this game that's really effective, and the gif up top that shows him stabbing that guy showcases some of it quite well. The way it shows off the detail on the enemy's back, but also highlights Marius' face while taking the background a bit out of focus, and then brings both the background, as well as the quality of the floor detail back into focus when the camera pulls back out is something that's used quite well throughout the game. But it's not only something they do during executions. It's also often used just while moving throughout the various environments, but in more subtle ways. A lot of direct feed screens greatly obscure a lot of this game's beauty.

Even a glance at youtube videos uploaded from various playthroughs don't come close, either. We're pretty much at that point now. A friend of mine had been resisting Ryse for a bit, because he was scared by the reviews, but after trying 2 levels for himself at his brother's house, he came away pretty excited by it and picked it up for himself. His reaction was priceless when he realized that the youtube gameplay videos he had been watching didn't even come close to having the real thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't go so far as to say that there's a conspiracy against this game, but it does show you how there's a mob mentality sometimes and after the poor showing at e3 and the fact that everybody thought it was a qte fest the game's PR never really recovered. Combine that with the fact that reviewers don't want to play the game on hard because they're under deadlines and the whole thing hurt the game's reputation.

I still think this , dead rising (sorry but sometimes there is so much on screen at once all at a level the last gen consoles couldn't come close to rendering) and rosugen or whatever that shooter for the ps4 is called are the best looking launch games .

What a surprise! PS4 owners coming into the Ryse thread to debunk it's visual brilliance.

The only thing I said was that the game has a constant blur which would be awesome if it went away in Crytek's next game. The game looks great is a foregone conclusion which happened plenty of pages before. Why are people trying to prove that the game doesn't have that blur is beyond me.

And I am one of those millions who spent every penny of theirs to get a PC to run Crysis 1/2 on highest possible settings. So, don't please don't put me in the fanboy pit. My PC was assembled just for Cryengine and then next upgrade will be for Crysis 4!

The only thing I said was that the game has a constant blur which would be awesome if it went away in Crytek's next game. The game looks great is a foregone conclusion which happened plenty of pages before. Why are people trying to prove that the game doesn't have that blur is beyond me.

And I am one of those millions who spent every penny of theirs to get a PC to run Crysis 1/2 on highest possible settings. So, don't please don't put me in the fanboy pit. My PC was assembled just for Cryengine and then next upgrade will be for Crysis 4!

There is no constant blur during gameplay. That's the point we're making. It's in the screenshots, not the game when you're physically playing it. I feel people are potentially getting a very misleading impression of what this game truly looks like based on a visual look that seems to be far more (or only, to be exact) prominent in screenshots compared to the opposite and more valid scenario of actually playing it, where there's no such issue. There's no aspect of this game's visual presentation that I feel is somehow being negatively obscured by a constant blur when you're actually playing the game. Main character details, enemy model details (skin, cloth/armor, visibly dirty and sweating characters, visibly bruised or bleeding characters), environmental details of all kinds, it all looks fantastic and it's crystal clear, not hidden behind a constant blur. This game takes advantage of blur in specific instances to help in drawing focus to specific visual details, but the game itself as a whole does not suffer from a blurred presentation, which I think is the claim being made, but is simply not supported by what's really happening in the game.

I mean, to even ding this game for anything graphically almost borders on insanity. The game really does look that amazing. Now, I'm not saying you can't point out something you don't like while also admitting it's a fantastic looking game, but this particular issue that is being discussed is so non-existant of an issue where it matters most (actual gameplay) that I find it bizarre that we're even talking about it.

And the bigger issue that people truly have with the idea that this game is hurt by a blur is that in stills, where this blur is most present, it masks or completely washes out details in the game's graphics, and, by extension, people think if they see this in screens, then this must also be occurring when you're playing the game. It's not. That's the catch here. That phenomenon simply doesn't exist when you're actually playing Ryse, and that's why I feel the game is being incorrectly and unfairly judged. It's being judged more based on what it looks like in screenshots, but this isn't a slideshow or a picture book, it's a videogame. And I don't know what to make of it, but whenever I hear this complaint, I feel as if people somehow haven't played the finished game's campaign themselves, and truly do believe that these screenshots they're seeing online are actually representative of what the game looks like when running in front of you.

Whatever Crytek did with this game's graphics is precisely what they need to do with a follow-up, because they seriously got this thing looking about as close to a playable movie as I've ever seen from a game. I'm at a loss as to how it can look better, short of somehow achieving a similarly impressive look with even more impressive art direction, or it somehow becomes an open world title with the same graphics quality. If Crytek loses this movie style appearance that this game has going for it in a follow-up, they will have lost one of the most distinct visual accomplishments of their game. No game that looks as brilliant as this game looks warrants such a weak complaint. It just feels wrong, and almost turns blur into a dirty word in a game that makes such amazing use of motion blur and depth of field effects. There's a gif that comes to mind that I know i won't be able to find, but it was one that someone made from chapter 4, with the flags blowing in the wind as the character was overlooking this incredible view. With vistas like that, or some of the stuff in Chapter 5, among some other pretty incredible moments, you're left puzzled as to what kinds of visual complaints a game such as this could ever have.

Ok I think it is pretty much settled. People who own and play the game say that they see no blur.

People who have only seen screenshots and videos say the game has a constant blur.

Does that pretty much sum it up?

Ps I own the game :)

If you upscale a completely antialiased image, it'll be the rough equivalent of applying a certain amount of blur to a higher res version of the same image. I'm sure there's some math to calculate the exact amount of blur, but let's just say that upscaling from native 900p to 1080p is pretty similar to applying a 0.x pixel gaussian blur to a native 1080p image.

So the people that feel a certain amount of blur are probably correct to some level. But it's very hard to compare the visual information in a Ryse image to a native 1080p image with lower quality antialiasing (or no AA at all). It's also hard to decide if it's better to have a lower res native image with less aliasing or a higher less native image with more aliasing. Especially as it also depends on viewing distance: people sitting further from the screen would find it harder to see the difference in resolution, but higher levels of aliasing are quite visible even from a great distance.

Then there's the pixel quality issue, is it better to have less pixels with more complex shading and AA, or more pixels with more aliasing and lower levels of lighting and shading? Another question that just can't be settled IMHO.

All in all the new consoles will offer more choices for developers in terms of more resolution vs. better quality, and we should all be happy to see this. Even though the obvious answer is, of course, to have both - but that's just not possible with limited resources...

understood. But I think much of the blur criticism is psychologically based on the knowledge that the game is 900p versus 1080. Many screen caps are in motion scenes where blur occurs primarily on distant objects but absolutely not on foreground objects where the user is primarily focused. the same thing happens in real life sitting in a car. looking at the passenger they are in full focus, yet the objects outside the car have a certain amount of blur because they are, background, relatively distant and in motion relative to the passenger.

Even while the character is in motion in the game details within the field of view tend to be pristine and rendered at a high resolution to the point where you cannot identify blur to the naked eye easily.

I think it's best if all of you would kindly agree to disagree about what one's eyes see and move on.

There's an existing thread to debate about image quality perception. Stop dragging down the game threads.

understood. But I think much of the blur criticism is psychologically based on the knowledge that the game is 900p versus 1080. Many screen caps are in motion scenes where blur occurs primarily on distant objects but absolutely not on foreground objects where the user is primarily focused. the same thing happens in real life sitting in a car. looking at the passenger they are in full focus, yet the objects outside the car have a certain amount of blur because they are, background, relatively distant and in motion relative to the passenger.

Even while the character is in motion in the game details within the field of view tend to be pristine and rendered at a high resolution to the point where you cannot identify blur to the naked eye easily.

AINets has ended he discussion here, but my judgement isn't psychological but based on every direct feed screens and the ultra high bit rate videos provided by MS. Amusingly, I mentioned the blur at that time too, but no one minded as the footage was fresh and there for everyone to see. I guess.

and yes sir, I can see the difference between motion blur, DOF and a constant blur all over the image. After all, I work with these all day. Of couyrse, the image you are seeing on ur TV isnot reproduceable unless someone provides an absolutely uncompressed image captured from the game. But, do remember, compression artifacts are not the same as a guassian blur all over. The closest we can get are the high bit rate videos by MS and they too have that blur. and it is technically correct to be there, as Laa Yosh pointed out.

Please blakjedi and SenjutsuSage, I am no anti Ryse crusader. I am a crytek bred graphics-whore, for the lack of a better term. I pointed out a blemish that bothers me when I see all the screens in the neogaf thread. The skin, the characters: I always see the blur and wish to see the graphics without it. After all, it is the first CG-like game out there ! I can't check it out on my TV till end 2014 or 2015 as MS has announced no plans to send over XBOnes here yet. The Order will be my first CG-like experience. But my heart still waits for Crysis 4.

@blakjedi: off topic, but my friend request is pending on ur PS4 menu for quite sometime. I thikn you missed it. Please accept it :), my ps4 arrives soon.

AINets has ended he discussion here, but my judgement isn't psychological but based on every direct feed screens and the ultra high bit rate videos provided by MS. Amusingly, I mentioned the blur at that time too, but no one minded as the footage was fresh and there for everyone to see. I guess.

and yes sir, I can see the difference between motion blur, DOF and a constant blur all over the image. After all, I work with these all day. Of couyrse, the image you are seeing on ur TV isnot reproduceable unless someone provides an absolutely uncompressed image captured from the game. But, do remember, compression artifacts are not the same as a guassian blur all over. The closest we can get are the high bit rate videos by MS and they too have that blur. and it is technically correct to be there, as Laa Yosh pointed out.

Please blakjedi and SenjutsuSage, I am no anti Ryse crusader. I am a crytek bred graphics-whore, for the lack of a better term. I pointed out a blemish that bothers me when I see all the screens in the neogaf thread. The skin, the characters: I always see the blur and wish to see the graphics without it. After all, it is the first CG-like game out there ! I can't check it out on my TV till end 2014 or 2015 as MS has announced no plans to send over XBOnes here yet. The Order will be my first CG-like experience. But my heart still waits for Crysis 4.

@blakjedi: off topic, but my friend request is pending on ur PS4 menu for quite sometime. I thikn you missed it. Please accept it :), my ps4 arrives soon.

Renegade, ok. I got you.

Been playing the game at the hardest difficulty setting I can select. It's alot more fun than when I played it a few months ago but that was the default. I do miss a jump button.

Cat%20w%20helmet.JPG

Oops wrong one...here is the correct one..:LOL:

helmet_800x0__false_nocrop_true.jpg

This explains it very well. Let it be clearly understood that I don't notice blur in any way when playing Ryse, I mean the typical blur that makes the games look muddy. Say Killzone 2 or NFS Hot Pursuit -console version-, Skyrim on the PS3, and some others.

Finally broke down and decided to give this a go. Played on Centurion as you guys recommended. I must say I had a difficult time understanding what in the world I was supposed to be doing during most of the objectives and I don't think I even started to get the hang of combat until the very end of the game. Really struggled with the Pila segments in particular and some of the strategic battle choices you are given.

Not sure why I kept going. Maybe just to see what was next because the graphics were not only stunning be provided a nice variety across the levels. But its funny, because once I understood what was going on and how to play; I found it to be incredibly fun. Just took me sooo long to get there. My second time through getting all the collectibles, etc. was an absolute blast. Really is a great game. At least once you "get" it. Legendary is next. Wish me luck.

Back