Ryse: Son of Rome [XO]

Finished it last night, haven't played a game as boring as Ryse for like decades. Combat design is so creatively bankrupt that I was watching random YT videos on the phone every 5 or so minutes.
That said graphics wise it looked good, not as mind blowing as a few others but enough to satiate some nextgen fix. I thought the visual peak was reached during the Minotaur boss fight, the lighting really brings out the POM gravel stones and the motion blur really made it look like CG. Aside from that, 900p did appear to be a little blurry on my set especially when I come straight off a few other 1080p games. I also did notice there's a strong lighting difference between the cutscene and gameplay in quality, but I can definitely live with that.

Yeah, after finally finishing it...

Normal should have been called easy or very easy. If you abuse either heath regain finishers or use Focus, it is impossible to lose any fights in the game. Even if you don't use those, once you've upgraded health a few times you'd have to be really incredibly bad to lose a fight.

Game was a bit short but that's fine with me. I've enjoyed the COD single player campaigns (never play COD multi) so I'm used to it. It's very much a spectacle fighter meant to showcase the graphics prowess of Crytek.

how does the FMV look?

The FMV is a very very very minor upgrade over in game graphics. The only meaningful difference is better AA is used in FMV. There may be other upgrades by they are minor enough that I would imagine that greater than 90% of people playing the game would not know when the game transitioned from one to the other. There were times when I thought I was watching an FMV only to suddenly find myself in control of the character.

That being said. From every game I've tried in RL. This is still head and shoulders above anything else graphically. Including PC games. But, I fully expect future games to surpass it. For example, I expect that when released, The Witcher 3 will supplant this as the graphical benchmark for next gen games.

Some things are just incredibly well done. The armor for example, are formed of multiple independently moveable parts that do no clip into other parts. If you look at the Centurion's armor. Each metal "band" is a separate object that can move independently of the other parts forming the armor as a whole.

Regards,
SB

Fine art is subjective, yes, open to personal interpretation and such. But applied artwork in a video game, please don't elevate it above its limits. The quality of the content can be compared, and there are aspects where BF4 comes out second, compared to Ryse - particularly the lead characters. It's also somewhat related to the technology, Crytek has clearly invested a lot in a robust character pipeline and lots of real-life data acquisition like scanning and performance capture.

BF is however very good in modern artificial lighting, destruction effects, scale and and some other stuff, but those tend to be a bit less noticeable. And Ryse also benefits from the more pleasing environments in general, and avoiding the visual tropes of modern day war / action movies which usually involve a lot of dirt and grime and shaky cam and lens effects. There are some nice warm hues in most of the scenery, soft lighting and so on.

I still don't know what happened to the Stonehenge level...

I'm still working through the Solo Gladiator Arena areas where you learn to actually fight in set-piece environments with multiple varying goals per round. Supposedly upon completion of a certain amount of rounds you can unlock God Rewards; these are rewards given by whichever deity you fight in the name of over the course of multiple rounds. You can get rewards for fighting in the names of Zeus, Diana, Mars, and Apollo. even after beating a round on each set-piece using Apollo, I still can't unlock his Reward.

That is exactly how the game looks even in motion.

I'm sorry but no. Aside from the fact that many of those shots are 1080p with no signs at all of upscaling, the complete lack of aliasing in even the tiniest foliage details points to massive levels of supersampling. These are quite clearly bullshots. I'm sure the final game looks similar (the video's I've seen are very clean), but it doesn't look exactly like this (well it might do if you squint at the screen or sit 12 feet away from it).

Its similar, but IQ and shadow quality is not up to par:

ibybkwR3z4UVRT.jpg

SjlL3wA.jpg

thats an art dump, not in game screens, obviously the game doesn't look like that. ANyways, I still wish atleast the constant blur in the game is removed from the next cryengine games :kills everything for me.

Funny how the complaints about jaggies and pixel crawl in other games have shifted to "massive blurring" when a quality temporal morphological AA solution is applied...

Here's some advice...stick to your ugly current gen uprezzed 1080P games with no AA.;)

Not on mine, looked much blurrier.
I wonder if you played the game and your TV wasn't well calibrated or there was an issue with the HDMI cable or something. Ryse has the best graphics I've ever seen on a console, not a single jaggie in sight, not blurry at all, mostly awesomeness. The game is a sight to behold from the beginning to the end.

I have noticed some little flaws when the game was streaming textures, but that was about it for me.

I wonder if you played the game and your TV wasn't well calibrated or there was an issue with the HDMI cable or something. Ryse has the best graphics I've ever seen on a console, not a single jaggie in sight, not blurry at all, mostly awesomeness. The game is a sight to behold from the beginning to the end.

I have noticed some little flaws when the game was streaming textures, but that was about it for me.
My Sony Bravia 65" HX955 was perfectly calibrated no more or less than what most people on the AVSforum did. Have pretty decent HDMI cables $120 each and all running at RGB Full. I think it's the size of the TV, anything less than a 1080p game would start to look blurry, and the AA filter in Ryse could also be one of the factor here. If you game on a 32" or 42" screen then it might look somewhat OK so I can see your point, but if you can't see the big drop in IQ quality between the 1080p art dump and the ingame capture shot then I really don't think we can continue discussing any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back